6.5 bullets on game

This is not an underrated exercise where all the proper steps are fully taken ensuring that the whole package will deliver and meet the "Fit for purpose" requirement.
Meaning: the ability to reliably hit a 3 or 4" kill zone at the distance chosen with enough energy (ft lbs) to do the job (on thin or thick skin animals) at that range. Then, the hunter must have the ability to do his/her part, by using a 'familiarized and fully proofed' rifle and projectile to deliver the goods at the range required. Selecting the preferred projectile is but one critical requirement of many.

Alot of concern is placed on accuracy when it comes to a bullet but not much on the bullets effect on game or at least not written about. What is everyone's experience with let's say Berger 140 elite Hunter, Hornady 143 eldx, Nosler accubond LR on game animals?

The 3 bullets you reference above each have documented history of excellent accuracy and solid performance on game. Maybe our even greater concern should be what we as hunters are doing to hone our skill set to send an clean shot in the field? Understanding our capability and limitations with our chosen weapon system based on the environmental conditions is most important when striving to cleanly harvest a game animal IMHO and that takes practice and time to build.

I'm a diehard fan of the 140 Berger HVLD's and JLK VLD's run at 2975-3000FPS in my 6.5x284's. Very similar performance with both. Over the past nine years I have shot a few dozen antelope, whitetail, and mule deer from 200 yards to 1200 yards, almost all DRT, a few dead within 25 yards. Typical performance is bullet diameter entrance, 2-3" (if exit), and everything between, mush.
142 JLK VLD from a 500+ yard, DRT, big Alberta mulie. Angled shot, under far shoulder. 62% weight retention. A rare find. Most exit.
A8C9FE92-ED0A-4E5C-96B1-20EE019F1DE4.jpeg E8DE2278-D070-48A6-B568-CF809D3AF0F1.jpeg

We've had great results with the 143 ELDx on whitetail, mule deer and antelope from 150 yards to 545 and have yet to recover a bullet. All broadside shots, all one shot kills. On the other hand, we also had 2 poor results from the 168gr Berger hunting bullets, out of a .308. One was a large whitail Nebraska doe at 150 yards that my son placed a bullet directly behind the shoulder on a "perfectly" broadside shot. Doe did the big mule kick and took off running. Never found a drop of blood and we searched (4 of us) for over five hours with no success of ever finding any trace, over snow covered ground. We were unable to simply track the doe in the snow do to the area being heavily worked by lots of deer. I'm sure lots of folks have great success stories with the Berger bullets, but my success with them has been a bit lackluster. That being said my velocities on the .308 were obviously not fast, 2550 ish. Which may be a contributing factor.

Alot of concern is placed on accuracy when it comes to a bullet but not much on the bullets effect on game or at least not written about. What is everyone's experience with let's say Berger 140 elite Hunter, Hornady 143 eldx, Nosler accubond LR on game animals?
Look at this site and you'll get actual testing under field conditions on several 6.5 mm bullets. https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase.html

My experience with Barnes triple shock when shooting whitetail 130gr. it left a hole the size of my fist and it ran 50yards before it dropped. With Hornady spire point 140 gr they dropped on the spot every time. With some factory Win. 140gr power point I took a buck with 2 heart shots neither bullet opened up and it ran over 100yards. this was all from my 264 Win mag.

Not to hijack your thread, but forty years ago when 6.5's had no respect and were actually despised, I had to use a 6.5 RM the first day of deer season because I was stuck out on a trip and could not pick up my 30-06 from my folks house. I had been hunting coyotes the week before and that was all I had available and only factory 100gr Corelokt loads. Needless to say, I thought I was under gunned. I was an avid 30-06 fan. I thought that after the morning hunt, I would pick up my real deer rifle. As luck would have it, I saw a buck about 150 yards off. I aimed for the rib cage right behind the shoulder and squeezed the trigger. The buck staggered and went down. The bullet destroyed a rib going in and out and the lungs were desimated. My brother in law was so impressed that he used the rifle the next day and also killed a buck using factory 120 gr CoreLokts. His shot was at over 350 yards and hit the deer in the breast bone right below the heart and crippled it. It bled out by the time we got to it. After that, I reserved my 30-06 for elk. in the ensuing years, I killed many more deer with that rifle. All were shot with 120gr bullets. I used the CoreLokts until they ran out. Then I tried the Speer 120 gr spitzer because they the cheapest I could find. I shot a buck with one at about 20 yards. The bullet smashed a rib going in and exploded. The lungs were completely destroyed and the off side of the rig cage was splattered with lead fragments. I retired that load and then went with Sierras. They worked fine. I shot one buck in the spine at over 450 with one. Every deer I killed with that rifle were one shot kills and none required tracking. Granted, every deer was shot through the lungs except for the two shot in the breast bone and spine. Those two were only two that weren't instantaneous. So my opinion is any decent 120gr bullet (at least in the 6.5 RM) is more than adequate for deer. I never had a chance to anything heavier so I have no opinion on them, but heavy 6.5 bullets have alway had a reputation of extremely good penetration, and with today's advances in bullet technology would mean that there are many 6.5 bullets that would perform very well. But I do know that I will never feel under gunned hunting deer with a 6.5. Although I think that I could definately kill an elk with my 6.5's, I will still hunt them 06, 7 mag or my larger calibers.

If only there were a bullet that could have the explosive, DRT-effect of a cup & core bullet, but could also hold together and penetrate deeply or all the way through to ensure as much damage was done, while giving an exit hole to aid in blood trailing (if needed.) That would be perfect, right?
N O S L E R
P A R T I T I O N

Didn't read all the posts, so if being repetitive - I apologize!!

I have had great success with BARNES TSX bullets out of my 6.5X284 - on Whitetails, Elk, & a Moose on the Run!! Didn't go far after 2 thru the chest, second one ☝️ piled him up!!!

Of course he picked the bottom of small, narrow, dry stream-bed to make the recovery more challenging lol

I used the 143eld in my 6.5x284 and made 0ne shot kills on running sheep and a hog all over 150 yards !

Great thread. As we see, and in many cartridges, many options that work, some better than others, but you find trends. What I have found, soft bullets work well on soft targets ie. avoid heavy bone and best on broadside thru lungs or neck, sometimes head shots on deer. Hard bullets like Mono, I like running into bone, and they love speed.

That said, my go to has been 95 Noz BT in 6mm whether BR or 243. Killed a WT deer at 400 LRF, using a BR with 105 Amax at 2850, broadside, double lunged, golf ball sized exit. Same bullet seconds later, vaporized on a downward angle spine shot at 200 yds. You HAVE to KNOW your bullets limitations, and pick shots accordingly. I know that bullet would blow up close so I hit the CNS from a rear angle, otherwise a lung or neck shot would have done fine. Dumped a yote at 60 yds, lung, no exit, and a headshot doe at 45 yds. Just have to be thoughtful, and mindful in placement.

In 6.5mm, the 130 Accubond has been my go to in 260, 6.5 CM, and 47 Lapua. Yes, Bergers work, Hornady's, etc. But the bonded ABs and that harder than usual BT in 6mm do great at expanding on long shots yet will penetrate on close shots and thru both shoulders leaving a short blood trail if needed. I do like Barnes, but not for LR at reduced impact speeds. Testing is valuable as shown above.

Good hunting folks, and be safe.

If only there were a bullet that could have the explosive, DRT-effect of a cup & core bullet, but could also hold together and penetrate deeply or all the way through to ensure as much damage was done, while giving an exit hole to aid in blood trailing (if needed.) That would be perfect, right?
N O S L E R
P A R T I T I O N
Yep. I definately agree, but back then, I had to do things as cheaply as possible. Heck, my varmint bullets were surplus FMJ 55gr .224 bullets loaded backwards. Don't laugh, they worked.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.