6.5-06 and 156 Berger

Terry3006

Anyone using this combo ? Would like to know your velocities, how the bullet seats ex. Over all length , barrel length, etc.
Thanks!!

Hey Terry,
I'm not using the 6.5-06 but I have been running a 6.5-284 Norma with the 156's. I know it's not the exact same cartridge but from what I can read it's "6.5 of one, half dozen.5 of another", LoL.
Not pushing them hard and I didn't do much load development. Deer season was getting up on me and I had other rifles to get ready.
I had been shooting the 147gn ELD-M with 56.5gn of RL26 with BR2 primers. I stuck with that same load but ran the 156's out to "kiss" the rifling. The first 3, 3shot groups were all one-holers so I adjusted my zero setting and ran with that. Velocity via LabRadar is 2967fps, ES of 12 and SD of 6.3. I have shot it since them over chrono again and numbers are consistent.
Shot it last Sunday at 1K with variable 3.5-4mph wind and group was just under 1/2 MOA. After deer season I'm gonna add some juice, turn it loose and see what it'll do. I'm hoping there'll be another node around 3050-3075. I have a 28" barrel so I'm thinking I can get there. Good luck, let me know what you come up with.

6.5 A-square /// 6.5/06

1980 Remington Model 700 BDL L.H.
25" Stainless steel 2.8 Couture Jury Barrel.

Me either,,, lots of 140's to 147's with everything in-between...

2880 to 2900 ft-per seconds ish give or take playing in the safe zone,,, those velocities are easy on my necked down Lapua 30/06 brass...

Ive been using between 53 to 54 grains of H1000 since RL is difficult to come by in the North above the 49th,,, another good powder up here is Super Short Cut (SSC) 4831...

I'm roughly 1 to 1 1/2 gr less max...

Cheers from the North

We had a fellow at our range a while back that is working on a new carbon fibre barrel and 156 EOC in 6.5 PRC,,, he wasn't having very good success with them in the 1:8 twist 25 1/4" barrel,,, He's the kind of fellow thats not going to give up on them just yet...

He's going back to the 140/ 147 grain'ers for the time being since they work awesome,,, very promising results with those loads he has worked up...

I was considering trying the 156's in my A-square,,, but the 140's and 147's shoot spectacular,,, a few extra grains ain't going to make much difference in the big game hunting thing for me since its all about staying with in my hunting range...

I can seem to tag the gongs at 600 meters and beyond on the good days,,, that's good enough for me...

Of course I'm not saying that I won't change things up until I reach out to the 1450 yard gongs this year coming up...

Endless options that add to the good times...

Happy new year and keep us up to date on how things work out,,, the sharing in ideas saves us all alot of un-warrented work... Ha

Cheers from the North

Happy New Year to y'all !

I have a GAP Ex. Hunter 6.5 PRC that I just shot yesterday with the 156's , .020 off lands using N565.
Just a test with one load each , 55.5-59 grains. No chrono.
It's an 8 twist and I was at around 500' elevation. No pressure signs. The whole lot was around .75".

Problem is, they don't fit my magazine (2.985") so that's the reason for my original question.

I've only tried a few loads mag length. I'm going to try 58 grs ar around .045 off and see how it goes.

I have a GAP Templar in 30-06 so I was thinking about rebarreling. Seems like the 6.5-284 might work.

I agree, the 147's, 140's will most likely work just fine too.
But ,,,,,,,,

Happy New Year to y'all !

I have a GAP Ex. Hunter 6.5 PRC that I just shot yesterday with the 156's , .020 off lands using N565.
Just a test with one load each , 55.5-59 grains. No chrono.
It's an 8 twist and I was at around 500' elevation. No pressure signs. The whole lot was around .75".

Problem is, they don't fit my magazine (2.985") so that's the reason for my original question.

I've only tried a few loads mag length. I'm going to try 58 grs ar around .045 off and see how it goes.

I have a GAP Templar in 30-06 so I was thinking about rebarreling. Seems like the 6.5-284 might work.

I agree, the 147's, 140's will most likely work just fine too.
But ,,,,,,,,

would love to see pics of your new PRC!!

I have not tried the 156EOL in my 6.5-06 but I do shoot the 140EH. The 140's seat deep as my throat is " sammi " OAL. This Takes up little case capacity as the base of the bullet is a good ways below the bottom of the neck, thus limiting velocity. If you are going to build one make sure you get a little more throat to be able to seat them out. I would expect you could get around 2900fps with 26in tube and proper throat out of the 156.

" I would expect you could get around 2900fps with 26in tube and proper throat out of the 156."

That's was my thinking too. Thx Plinker

Kimber7man, I'll see if I can get a few pics this week.

She's frozen in the North today,,, so it's ammo prep and reloading time...

Just the simple stuff for my 6.5 A-square / hooligan rad unit,,, the 140 to 147 class since they shoot so consistant with any charge behind them...

My Contour 2.8 stainless steel Bob Jury pipe in 1:8 twist might not have enough twist for the 156'zzzs,,, at least I can seat the 140 gr bullets long...

I'll tap it kool in the 2880 ft-per second since its easy on the brass and a lot less hot-flash burn on the throat... The idea of longevity for this hunting rifle/ part time long range rig when I feel up to it... Ha...

Time to bring the mobile re-loading supplies inside today instead of sitting on a frozen picnic table at -30c,,, did you know that it's hard to poor a consistant powder charge when your fingers are frozen... Ha

Cheers from the North

Anyone using this combo ? Would like to know your velocities, how the bullet seats ex. Over all length , barrel length, etc.
Thanks!!
I am running a 6.5-06 ackley throated for the 156 26 inch benchmark barrel and getting right at 3050 fps shooting .5 moa to 700 have not had a chance to air it out yet

6.5 A-square /// 6.5/06

1980 Remington Model 700 BDL L.H.
25" Stainless steel 2.8 Couture Jury Barrel.

Me either,,, lots of 140's to 147's with everything in-between...

2880 to 2900 ft-per seconds ish give or take playing in the safe zone,,, those velocities are easy on my necked down Lapua 30/06 brass...

Ive been using between 53 to 54 grains of H1000 since RL is difficult to come by in the North above the 49th,,, another good powder up here is Super Short Cut (SSC) 4831...

I'm roughly 1 to 1 1/2 gr less max...

Cheers from the North

I've been kicking around another build in "6.5", haven't decided what way to go??? It's a Ruger 77, presently in 30-06 Springfield. I wanted a 6.5-06 Ackley Improved, however my gunsmith told me that he did not have a 6.5-06 AI reamer, but he did have a 6.5-06. The gunsmith felt that the cartridge was already overbore and thought that the 6.5-06 AI was not worth the extra work involved in making brass/ammunition. I spoke with Rich from Sherman Wildcats, he thought that the magazine box is too short to shoot the 6.5 Sherman, so.....seems like that one is out. I'm planning on using the 130-140gr Nosler ABLR 6.5 bullets and nothing any heavier for long range deer hunting; and....for me long-range is 300-500 yards. I'm probably cutting hairs, and the deer really will not know what it was hit with anyway. I like the Ackley Improved cartridges, already have a .270 AI, usually at this stage of the build I a nudge anyway. How do you like the 6.5-06???

I've been kicking around another build in "6.5", haven't decided what way to go??? It's a Ruger 77, presently in 30-06 Springfield. I wanted a 6.5-06 Ackley Improved, however my gunsmith told me that he did not have a 6.5-06 AI reamer, but he did have a 6.5-06. The gunsmith felt that the cartridge was already overbore and thought that the 6.5-06 AI was not worth the extra work involved in making brass/ammunition. I spoke with Rich from Sherman Wildcats, he thought that the magazine box is too short to shoot the 6.5 Sherman, so.....seems like that one is out. I'm planning on using the 130-140gr Nosler ABLR 6.5 bullets and nothing any heavier for long range deer hunting; and....for me long-range is 300-500 yards. I'm probably cutting hairs, and the deer really will not know what it was hit with anyway. I like the Ackley Improved cartridges, already have a .270 AI, usually at this stage of the build I a nudge anyway. How do you like the 6.5-06???
brass is real easy if you use the right reamer you just neck down 280 ackley brass ans shoot

Dont know why your Smith said that.
It's a perfect time with a new barrel to fireform some brass and get an idea what powder it likes, you should get through the speed up process on the barrel before you get serious anyway.

6.5x06 24" E.R. Shaw 24" stainless Bbl. 1/8 twist. 120gr TSX 3277 fps using IMR-4350. This load has no problem smacking my 522 yd target, consistently. Longest yardage I have. 129gr Hornady bonded 3200 + fps more than ample for deer under 500. Have shot the 143 ELDx but see no advantage for the range I shoot. Unless you just have to shoot a 156gr bullet I see no advantage on deer size game this side of 500yds.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.