540 yards with a .308 win ?

Hi,

I have a .308 win with a 18.5" barrel, If I do my part, will a Hornady 165gr SST humanly take down this large buck that routinely hangs out at the edge of tree line at 540 yards up a 40 degree angel ?

If you're capable of making the shot with your current equipment then pull the trigger. It'll put him down in a quick hurry. My buddy shot a muley doe at over 500 with a 150 grain SST superformance load out of his 308 and she piled up in a quick hurry.

If you can put the shot in the bread basket he won't know the difference between the .308win, .300win, or .300 Rum.

You are getting to the extreme end of 308 killing power on medium and larger game at that range but a heart/lung shot or bullet to the spine will still be quite fatal.

I shoot and hunt with 308 almost exclusively. I have a 20" barrel

If you put the bullet where it needs to go you will have a dead deer.

It's up to you to practice, dail in, and make the shot

My Dad used to make deer kills almost that far with a 55gr SGK out of a 223

Which Is why noone can use some math equation to tell me the 308 can't do it.

Let me know how it works out.

I have an 18" barrel on my one .308. It is pushing 178 Hornady BTHP at 2450fps. It will stomp a deer to 600yds. I wouldn't hesitate a bit. I want pictures when you put it down.

Tank

Hi,

I have a .308 win with a 18.5" barrel, If I do my part, will a Hornady 165gr SST humanly take down this large buck that routinely hangs out at the edge of tree line at 540 yards up a 40 degree angel ?

540 x .766(40 degree cosine) = 414 yards
I wouldn't feel undergunned, even if that load was only getting 2500fps.

Hi,

The .308 winchester has been killing everything from enemy combatants to grizzly bears since the 1950's. Use the correct bullet and that deer is grave yard dead.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.