.308 win with swift A-frames?

nwmnbowhunter

Anyone have any experience with .308 win and A- frames?

From my limited research it appears A- frames actually are fairly soft and expand fairly well even though they are bonded?

Rock raven has norma ammo loaded with 180 A- frames for cheap.

Thanks
John

https://ravenrocksprecision.com/308-win-180gr-swift-a-frame/

1706798543595.png

I've hunted with both the A-Frame and Partition for a couple of decades with little to no difference that you could tell. As with most assessments, dead is dead. I don't need two holes for a blood trail either. Deer and elk both drop where shot or travel maybe a few yards. If I don't have that kind of shot I move on.

In this situation the price is excellent when you opt for the 10 boxes. (~$1.25/each)

Enjoy!

:)

Last edited:
https://ravenrocksprecision.com/308-win-180gr-swift-a-frame/

View attachment 539318

I've hunted with both the A-Frame and Partition for a couple of decades with little to no difference that you could tell. As with most assessments, dead is dead. I don't need two holes for a blood trail either. Deer and elk both drop where shot or travel maybe a few yards. If I don't have that kind of shot I move on.

In this situation the price is excellent when you opt for the 10 boxes. (~$1.25/each)

Enjoy!

:)
I ordered two cases!!

From my reading a frames are a touch softer than partitions... and from your report they are plenty soft enough even at 308 speed. Thank you

I ordered two cases!!

From my reading a frames are a touch softer than partitions... and from your report they are plenty soft enough even at 308 speed. Thank you

All the partitions that I've shot have such soft noses that the front halves usually wipe away down to the partition. Swift A-Frame bullets are bonded up front and maintain their noses. The lead in a Swift seems harder too.

Either way, the price of those Norma cartridges makes them a great deal and the Swifts will get the job done. The bullets alone, sell for $1.70 each @ Midway.

If it wasn't that I handload everything, I'd jump on these shells too.

All the partitions that I've shot have such soft noses that the front halves usually wipe away down to the partition. Swift A-Frame bullets are bonded up front and maintain their noses. The lead in a Swift seems harder too.

Either way, the price of those Norma cartridges makes them a great deal and the Swifts will get the job done. The bullets alone, sell for $1.70 each @ Midway.

If it wasn't that I handload everything, I'd jump on these shells too.
I tend to hand load everything too, but these are so cheap that you can't hardly put together any reload for that price. I think my best price currently is about .80 per shell, using cheap Speer bullets.

I haven't used them in a 308, but it was my bullet of choice when I went to Alaska with a 375h&h. I shot my 8ft grizzly at 150 yards quartering toward me. The A-frame entered at the crease of the neck and shoulder. Exited the opposite hip. Bear did not even take a step. By the time I recovered from recoil and got the scope on him for a follow up shot he was stone dead.