50 Cals for Hunting Dangerous Game? Real World Experience? Bullets/Loads?

These are what I have to work with. I bought the Beartooth's (ironic) for 460 and 454. I loaded some a few years ago but never shot. Using H110 and W296. Bout same thing . I guess I better start testing before this Oct..
IMG_20210210_094001185.jpg

Love my big bore pistols, but will grab first the 870-rifle-pistol in that order for a bad situation. Thats any bad situation👍
I don't carry a shotgun when deer or elk hunting but agree on rifle then pistol. Pistol last line of defense . Jury still out on bear spray for me unless it's all you have when skipping thru the woods with a fanny pack and shorts on ;)

These are what I have to work with. I bought the Beartooth's (ironic) for 460 and 454. I loaded some a few years ago but never shot. Using H110 and W296. Bout same thing . I guess I better start testing before this Oct..View attachment 250293
Good bullets. Keith's old load for the .44 was very close to the top bullet. His 250gr SWC with 22grs of 2400 and a mag primer. 1500fps in a 6" revolver. Stout load that shoots well in cold weather. Its killed some impressive stuff too. The 350WFN from LBT is impressive in a 454 too. Kicks a little though.

Good bullets. Keith's old load for the .44 was very close to the top bullet. His 250gr SWC with 22grs of 2400 and a mag primer. 1500fps in a 6" revolver. Stout load that shoots well in cold weather. Its killed some impressive stuff too. The 350WFN from LBT is impressive in a 454 too. Kicks a little though.
I have some 2400 also. Thanks for tip !

Gotta get into this FWIW. After researching this topic for years I've determined that in order to try and avoid getting chewed, scuffed, or killed, one would have to disrupt the CNS of a PO'd grizz. It's not so much how big and fast the bullet is. Rather it's placing a bullet that will do the job in the right place. I believe the right place is in one of it's eyes, or between them. we're talking about a 4-500 pound critter that can cover 50 yards in 4 seconds. If the first shot doesn't go right you better be able to recover and get off another. A former commercial bullet caster told me that a 400-grain WFN around 20 brinnell traveling 1000 fps will penetrate more bear than necessary. The gun I carry is a .480 Raging Bull with a 5" barrel (built-in brake). My load just breaks 1K, and is pretty easy to control. I practice a LOT on getting it into action. I'm nowhere near where I want to be, but I'm a lot better than I was when I started. I'm thinking about possibly getting a 10 mm auto just because they are lighter. Any gun on your hip or chest is better than a bazooka in the truck. Opinions are like certain body parts. Everybody has one......This is mine.

Gotta get into this FWIW. After researching this topic for years I've determined that in order to try and avoid getting chewed, scuffed, or killed, one would have to disrupt the CNS of a PO'd grizz. It's not so much how big and fast the bullet is. Rather it's placing a bullet that will do the job in the right place. I believe the right place is in one of it's eyes, or between them. we're talking about a 4-500 pound critter that can cover 50 yards in 4 seconds. If the first shot doesn't go right you better be able to recover and get off another. A former commercial bullet caster told me that a 400-grain WFN around 20 brinnell traveling 1000 fps will penetrate more bear than necessary. The gun I carry is a .480 Raging Bull with a 5" barrel (built-in brake). My load just breaks 1K, and is pretty easy to control. I practice a LOT on getting it into action. I'm nowhere near where I want to be, but I'm a lot better than I was when I started. I'm thinking about possibly getting a 10 mm auto just because they are lighter. Any gun on your hip or chest is better than a bazooka in the truck. Opinions are like certain body parts. Everybody has one......This is mine.
Interesting and I like your thinking Tom ! I should of called you to see if you wanted to go along for back up ;) Hope to see you at the range when it warms up in couple months...