50 Cals for Hunting Dangerous Game? Real World Experience? Bullets/Loads?

400 grain, cast bullets @ 1400+ fps from my 460 S&W would make a pretty fare stopping cartridge.....provided the bullet is placed where needed. Most rifles would do no better with equal placement.....especially with the bullets that many prefer to hunt with these days. memtb
I second that for sure.
I have faith in my 460 S&W. Too awkward to carry with rifle tho. Better off carrying by itself .

Last edited:
I second that for sure.
I have faith in my 460 S&W. Too awkward to carry with rifle tho. Better off carting by itself .

Same here.....it's one or the other! The 460 is for elk/deer in the timber! Hunting the Grass Creek area in the timber.....you keep your head on a swivel! 😉

I'm hoping for a 5" S&W for carry when not hunting.....but, hanging out in the bear country! memtb

I had a "hairy" moment last Nov. up a canyon in the North Fork. When I got to the trail head at dark. About an hour before light. I saw a truck with a Two horse trailer there. Nobody else. I waited a little bit and took off. Went about half mile. Crossed creek and up into canyon . It's thick trees both sides for a long way following creek bed. I saw a set of horse and mule tracks going up from guy at trailhead. Also saw buddy's boot prints from weekend before coming out . He was packing his buck out in pack. Then I saw a set of very large bear prints coming out also. Some over his. Figured the bear ate gut pile and all. Ground was frozen so I knew they weren't from that morning. I had my Male Chesapeake with me. He always hunts with me. He's my ears and eyes. I wear hearing aids but not when hunting. Just recently got some Walker ear buds. I went up canyon a mile or so. Picked a spot on east side that I could glass other side of canyon. Sat down. Took pack off and gave dog a drink. I was sitting on the base of the mtn. and was thick trees going up from bottom. I sat there looking at the griz tracks thinking if a griz came off the mtn. towards my back I'd be screwed. I had a rifle , bear spray and the dog. All I kept thinking is I wished I had a pistol... My 460 and 454 are too long and heavy to tote with rifle. I have a Super Blackhawk 44 mag but it has 7 1/2 in. barrel but light. Maybe workable the heavy hard cast bullets. Would really rather have a double action or auto. As I sat there I was on shady side of mtn. and it stayed at 30 degrees for an hour. The sun was going to be awhile before coming over mtn.. I easily talked myself into moving to a spot in sun. I packed up and had walked about 100 yds. The dog all of the sudden locked on to something in the trees at base of hill at 30 yds or so. First thought was oh s**t he we go... I un shouldered my rifle and held at hip. About 30 seconds later I brought up my binos and looked straight ahead of me through the thick trees. Through an opening in the branches about 3 ft. wide I saw brown hair... I thought is this really happening ...? I looked at dog , he still was locked on. He rarely barks outside and wasn't . He was probably thinking what is that ? I looked down for a second and saw the the horse and mule tracks turned off the trail towards where I saw hair through trees. I glassed that spot again and around it. Saw some black hair also. I said dammit. It's the mule and horse tied up in the trees at base of mtn.. I checked my boxers. Clean. Told Whiskey , good boy ! Now let's get out of here. I followed the griz tracks all the way down to mouth of canyon then walked up east side where I'd been last week. My buddy went up there that morning . When he came down I told him the story and said tracks went up towards him. He said he saw them on top of my tracks from last week . Anyway. That morning I vowed to carry a pistol also if I do any packing in. I don't even care if it's my Glock 21 45 auto with a 13 or 24 rd. mag full of harcdcast. I'd feel like I had a better chance than with just rifle and spray. Ok, my novel is done.
membt I know you and some others can relate to Hair/Bear moments !

Last edited:
After actually owning and playing around with several Large handguns, .454, .445 super mag, .460, and a couple more, I came to the conclusion that if a .44Mag is not enough gun, get a rifle. The biggest handguns weigh nearly as much as a carbine, are harder to shoot well, and difficult to tote around. It is very difficult to get a second shot off at game with the really big ones. A good .44 is a joy to shoot and hunt with. The blast from a .460 makes it one of the most intimidating things to shoot on the planet.

After actually owning and playing around with several Large handguns, .454, .445 super mag, .460, and a couple more, I came to the conclusion that if a .44Mag is not enough gun, get a rifle. The biggest handguns weigh nearly as much as a carbine, are harder to shoot well, and difficult to tote around. It is very difficult to get a second shot off at game with the really big ones. A good .44 is a joy to shoot and hunt with. The blast from a .460 makes it one of the most intimidating things to shoot on the planet.
From my experience I agree with you on every point. The 44 mag feels like a pop gun compared the 460 and 454. Like comparing 44 mag and a 357 mag.

From my experience I agree with you on every point. The 44 mag feels like a pop gun compared the 460 and 454. Like comparing 44 mag and a 357 mag.
True, and I will stand by what I said. Only realistic uses I can think of for them is: .460- extended range for states where straight walled cartridges are mandated, and for the larger ones: when someone is concentrating on very large game at short range with a handgun only. This person usually has a guide with a big rifle for back up. When carrying both a handgun and a rifle hunting, anything heavier than a .44 most likely will be left behind if walking very far, and the .44 is likely to get booted for a 10MM auto. that being said, I carry my 629 Competitor more hunting than I do my 6" 1911 10MM. But, I just like the gun, and the way it shoots and kills. Use Keith's old load and its very lethal on most anything that walks. One of these days I'm going to load up some of the new solid copper fluid transfer bullets with a case full of 296 and shoot something tough with it. Everyone says they behave like a much larger projectile.

Ive been loading for my cousins Ruger SRH Alaskan 454 Casull 2.5" lately and I've come to the conclusion that for bear protection in that barrel length that the 45colt will get close to matching the 454casull velocities with 350gr bullet with less powder.
The SRH weighs 48oz the 460 S&W weighs quite a bit more. I think I'm going to try a Taurus judge public defender 2.5" stainless. It weighs 28oz will have less recoil and should shoot 350gr cast 1050-1150fps, the 454casull will run them 1200fps but with more recoil. One potential downside is the judge grip looks a little shorter than the grip on the SRH.

True, and I will stand by what I said. Only realistic uses I can think of for them is: .460- extended range for states where straight walled cartridges are mandated, and for the larger ones: when someone is concentrating on very large game at short range with a handgun only. This person usually has a guide with a big rifle for back up. When carrying both a handgun and a rifle hunting, anything heavier than a .44 most likely will be left behind if walking very far, and the .44 is likely to get booted for a 10MM auto. that being said, I carry my 629 Competitor more hunting than I do my 6" 1911 10MM. But, I just like the gun, and the way it shoots and kills. Use Keith's old load and its very lethal on most anything that walks. One of these days I'm going to load up some of the new solid copper fluid transfer bullets with a case full of 296 and shoot something tough with it. Everyone says they behave like a much larger projectile.

A stoutly loaded 460 with a 10 inch barrel can send a 240gr XTP 2500 fps what more could you want.

Dean
10 in. Isn't very packable in shoulder holster . Why I don't like my 8 in. 460 S&W. Plus it weighs 72 or 74 oz.. I have red dot on mine . I'd have to take off to holster. I think 6 in. or less better.

Not a real fan of bear spray. Buddy of my in LEO training withstood it and kept going. A taser gun might be better, and has more range than bear spray.

Recent Posts