50 cal for hunting

Srlkllr01

Hello to all,just wondering if anyone here on this site is a fan of the big boy rifle for taking game and I know most people don't agree with using a 50 cal and no the animal parts don't rain down when shot most bullets zip right through with no expansion sorry to everyone in advance not looking for the criticism but just the members that are a fan of this demonized caliber and I grow tired of all the negative comments from other sites I've posted on. if there is no bias here then I truly do apologize for my seemed abrasiveness it's just that a lot of uneducated and I don't mean dumb people comment with their opinions and they don't know anything about a 50 cal other then it's a big scary gun that has no business being in the hands of citizens let alone in the woods,I'm here to learn more from like minded people.thank you and again I apologize I'm not really a jerk lol I just love my 50

I know for a fact that an animal shot with a 50 cal expires just like a conventional cartridge just quicker, normally from a bigger hole in and out. Also if you use solids it would make for less meat loss and just a little tracking to do. I watched a video of a guy shooting a bison at a 1000 yards maybe a hair closer and it was taken cleanly and effectively. I would only be skeptical of using the 50 with frangible bullets that would result in major meat loss. I grew up practicing, you kill it, you eat it. Although, if you are going to lug a 30-40 pound rifle around the woods or mountains more power to you.

Reuben

I know for a fact that an animal shot with a 50 cal expires just like a conventional cartridge just quicker, normally from a bigger hole in and out. Also if you use solids it would make for less meat loss and just a little tracking to do. I watched a video of a guy shooting a bison at a 1000 yards maybe a hair closer and it was taken cleanly and effectively. I would only be skeptical of using the 50 with frangible bullets that would result in major meat loss. I grew up practicing, you kill it, you eat it. Although, if you are going to lug a 30-40 pound rifle around the woods or mountains more power to you.

Reuben

Hi Reuben I too practice eat what you kill if you don't intend on eating it then you don't shoot it, I was only thinking downloaded rounds for the 50 cal and there's not much meat loss with self imposed double lung shots only and my 50 is a little over 20lbs carbine I'm also not shooting beyond what I'm confident in and it's a 500 yrd moa and with a double sling I carry it much like a back pack over both shoulders not too bad on me,sorry it kinda sound's like your not much of a FAN of the 50 for game taking but thats cool and thanks for the info any ways I appreciate all positive suggestion's I am here to learn all I can.sincerly John

Last edited:
20 pounds isn't too bad. Whichever gun is used as long as it does the job and does it effectively I have no problems with the caliber. I can see some people becoming aggravated towards the 50 because of how far you can shoot, accurately I might add. It carries a lot of down range energy that is needed to make the kills at extreme range. I think it gets a bad rap from people that don't shoot long range and then they attempt a shot at game that the rifle can do, but they can not. I'd like one but the components and ammo are too pricey for me up here in Alaska.

Reuben

20 pounds isn't too bad. Whichever gun is used as long as it does the job and does it effectively I have no problems with the caliber. I can see some people becoming aggravated towards the 50 because of how far you can shoot, accurately I might add. It carries a lot of down range energy that is needed to make the kills at extreme range. I think it gets a bad rap from people that don't shoot long range and then they attempt a shot at game that the rifle can do, but they can not. I'd like one but the components and ammo are too pricey for me up here in Alaska.

Reuben
Yes I agree never shoot beyond your capabilities and hunter that shoot Hail Marys ruin it for everyone I've seen it first hand in form of no access to huntable land,seen their wounded and have found the coyote ridden carcasses it just disgusts me.i had a farmer in southern ny not grant access to his land he hated hunters because they killed his livestock one donkey,one llama that some idiot was field dressing he actually thought it was a deer with a tag in its ear the farmer said that was the last straw and no one can hunt his land he actually had to paint in fluorescent orange COW on his cows,but during the two summers that I volunteered to help him fill his barns with hay I was able to show him that there was still responsible and ethical hunters out there that are not associated with those slob hunters and that they give real hunters a bad name.oh and my brand new bull barreled Serbu 50 carbine was only $2,700 which is pretty cheap by 50 standards still I know that's a lot for a gun but it's so sweet no kick to speak of,I point and squeeze it hits,we all should have one or atleast squeeze off a few rounds I know that's how I got the bug for one I couldn't stop thinking about it and it went on my had to have one list lol that list is pretty big and continues to grow lol

Last edited:
You have issues with people not being able to police themselves when it comes to ethics and hunting. It does not matter what caliber they choose to be unethical with. In my neck of the woods the rifle can not weigh more than 16 lbs. That limits what a person can hunt with. I have people tell me I can not and should not hunt with a 6.5. Those same people belive the 338 is the only rifle capable of LR on elk. Nothing else should ever be considered. I bow hunt for deer and elk so you can imagine the ignorant comments I get regarding that subject. Do what you wish, do it ethically, and do it legally.

I am not sure why it matters if you use a 50 BMG or not? It might matter if you happen to be one of those people who bash others for not using the 50. I find that arguements can go sour quickly if the parties involved are too closed off to understanding each others position. LR members here generally seem pretty accepting of one anothers opinions and experiences so welcome and good luck.

You have issues with people not being able to police themselves when it comes to ethics and hunting. It does not matter what caliber they choose to be unethical with. In my neck of the woods the rifle can not weigh more than 16 lbs. That limits what a person can hunt with. I have people tell me I can not and should not hunt with a 6.5. Those same people belive the 338 is the only rifle capable of LR on elk. Nothing else should ever be considered. I bow hunt for deer and elk so you can imagine the ignorant comments I get regarding that subject. Do what you wish, do it ethically, and do it legally.

I am not sure why it matters if you use a 50 BMG or not? It might matter if you happen to be one of those people who bash others for not using the 50. I find that arguements can go sour quickly if the parties involved are too closed off to understanding each others position. LR members here generally seem pretty accepting of one anothers opinions and experiences so welcome and good luck.

Hey Brent thank you and your right on the money with that and I also bow hunt with a compound since 84 and have taken more deer in the early season it is the greatest thing I love it and I have been trying to harvest a deer with a bare bow recurve but **** it so hard to get a shot without getting spotted it has been very frustrating I miss being able to pull and hold my bow back for a full minute waiting for the right shot but the recurve is not like that I have the utmost respect for those that can get er done the old school ways.again thanks for the positive post it's very refreshing here I think I found my new home.... Sincerely John

A close friend of mine has a custom Tac 50BMG that he plans on using for hunting as soon as its broken in and he can shoot it accurately at distance. The gun weighs hell 25-30lbs but most of his hunting will still hunting of cut sendero's. He said like for doe's cull bucks and hogs he's going to use it on them but trophy buck he'll use his 270 weatherby. He's going to be using the 647gr barnes X.

Now my opinion If you can shoot a 50 accurately at distance and not afraid of lugging a 20-30lb gun I'd say go for itgun).

Hi tx thanks for the info and I got some 647grn ball ammo but no expansion with them rounds so I plan on using 750grn match bullets on a elk in the near future my gun is lil ole 20lb carbine it packs easy no kick and shoots a 500 yrd moa I'm not looking to set no distance record in the field on paper maybe but I just want to own that 500 yrds eventually I want handload some lightweight loads for it,a little more user friendly for taken deer and such. I love my 50 with one small draw back she does have a bark lol. Sincerely John

As long as the gun is legal and the ammo is both legal and humain, I say go ahead and use the 50. What others think of your equipment means squat as long as you are happey with it.

Now, off topic, and I apolagize in advance if this comes across wrong, but please, PLEASE, use a period (.) once in while. My god....177 words and only three periods.....I was running out of breath just reading it. And I don't even move my lips when I read anymore. :D

As long as the gun is legal and the ammo is both legal and humain, I say go ahead and use the 50. What others think of your equipment means squat as long as you are happey with it.

Now, off topic, and I apolagize in advance if this comes across wrong, but please, PLEASE, use a period (.) once in while. My god....177 words and only three periods.....I was running out of breath just reading it. And I don't even move my lips when I read anymore. :D

Ha ha ha, I wanted to say the same thing but figured I would give him a break until he got used to this group.

Lol sorry guy's I'm not the greatest at this but I'll throw you a couple now........................................ I hope that makes up for my bad grammar,lol I'm laughing with you's at myself. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts