470 yard blacktail buck

NW Hunter

Last Sunday, I finally had the opportunity to put some of my long range practice to use on an animal.

My buddy Mike and I had the chance to hunt some private property in Lyle, Washington. We were hunting a canyon area with old wheat field high prairies on top of the canyon.

Mike scored on a 425 yard shot off shooting sticks on Saturday. He shot his buck through the heart with a 7mm Berger 168 grain. The buck walked 40 yards and fell over.

On Sunday, I went back to the same prairie that Mike's buck had been.
After sneaking into the area behind some pine trees, I spotted a group of does bedded with a 2x3 buck 200 yards away near the canyon edge. I cut out a position under a pine tree where I could cover a large area.

After about 30 minutes, I heard a buck grunting in the same pines near where I was laying. I gave out a few soft bleats. I was glassing out where the canyon dropped off of the prairie when I saw my buck trotting and grunting in the wide open prairie. Then he suddenly bedded down in the wide open.

He lay there for 45 minutes while I dry fired on him. He was 470 yards away and my Strelok program told me to hold 1.43 MRAD using my Bushnell G2 reticle.

When he stood up, he gave my a slight quartering away shot. I put the vertical crosshair on the offside leg and let a 190 grain Berger fly from the 300wm. He dropped dead immediately in my scope.

Upon inspection while field dressing,I saw that the bullet passed through the ribs and took out one lung. Somehow, the bullet or a big fragment went up into the backbone between the shoulders and shattered about three vertebrae into a bunch of small pieces. No exit wound, just bruising of the offside shoulder

I owe a lot of this success to various members of this forum.

Thanks, that was fun!:D

Randy

PS. My buck is in the top two pictures and Mike's buck is in the bottom picture.

Attachments

• Randy's 2013 Blacktail 035.jpg
    Randy's 2013 Blacktail 035.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 92
  • Randy's 2013 Blacktail 039.jpg
    Randy's 2013 Blacktail 039.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 92
  • Randy's 2013 Blacktail 029.jpg
    Randy's 2013 Blacktail 029.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 79
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts