460 XVR Hunter capabilitiy

Freedom475

I was wondering if anyone here has tested or used the big long Smith&Wesson 460XVR "Hunter" 12" for long distance.

I am thinking of buying one and would like any info on its capabilities at 250yards and further. I really like the look better than a lot of the other speciallized handguns.

I know it will kill game that far, but I am more interested in the accuracy capabilities...for example..has anyone ever shot milk jugs with it at 3,4,or 500+yards??

Thanks guys!

I havent shoot the hunter version with the long barrel, but I can hit jugs at 300 yards all day with my 8 3/8 version. The long barrel should do better I would think. The mule kicken thing just shoots good. Factory 200 grainers are fun and shoot flat but Im useing 275 grn. Worst pistol case to reload Ive ever worked with, danged role crimp.

Thank you!!!. 300 yard milk jugs.. That is just what I was looking for.

I was starting to think this place was a ghost town with no visitors. gun)

I appreciate the reply!

I just added to a post of yours on a different forum (44 Taurus) and now I will tie it together. I shoot the 460xvr with the 8 3/8 barrel also and have no problem with milk jugs at 300 yds. I use the 30mm ultradot on the 460 and find I like it better than my MK8. The pistol just shoots great groups and I don't think you need the longer barrel. I shoot the Hornady 240gr XTP Mag for the long range stuff. I find the 300gr bullets drop to fast after 200yds.

Len

Thak you...so what load are you shooting?? I too have been using the 240xtp.

I have been trying lots of different powders but have not gotten one to work well. 4227 looked promising, but it is way to heat sensitive ..the 1st round down the cold barrel goes over the chronograph 200fps slower than the warm barrel. Once I got shooting the barrel warmed and the velocity climbed from 2000 to 2200fps and stayed within 24fps for the duration of my shoot..:rolleyes:

296 acctually droped velocity by over 140fps when I went from 47gr to 48gr of powder behind the 240 xtp...I was using a Federal LR Match primer.

I am scared of LilGun, because of the damage it did in Bob Bakers testing with the Freedom Arms guns.

I too added an UltraDot to my 460 and have really enjoyed it...if I could just remember to turn it off..lol

I use 48.8 gr of H110. I think that is exactly the same powder as 296. Hear it goes out one door of the plant as H110 and another as 296. That said I buy my batteries by the case (exageration) because I too have a small problem with the on/off switch. The one big problem I've had with the 460 is finding a suitable rest. I prefer a good set of sandbags over any mechanical rest but my blow by keeps tearing up sandbags. Put my Cabellas corn filled rest under the pistol and blew ground corn all over the place. I am now taking an old welding jacket with me to the range to cover the sand bags. Probably need to get some tougher bags. Favorite load for the 300gr is 39.2 gr also of H110 but I shoot the Gold dots in that.
Len

I have to admit I also blew up a sand bag with the cyl. blast. Lol. I am useing barnes 275 grn. with both h110 and enforcer. I dont have my load book with me and dont remember for sure how much of either powder. I do need a new scope for mine, the lupy I took off a 44 didnt last. Im sending it in to see if they can fix it. Dang thing only lasted 15 years lol.

Yea they are a pretty awesome pistol. The first holo scope I put on mine lasted 3 rounds. Wasn't a name brand holo just something I picked up on Optic Planet cheap. You really do get what You pay for. Never had much problem with temperature here shooting. Gets up to 70 here in summer and down to 50 in winter.In other words you can be cold all year round golfing. The point was that I have never had to work out loads for extreme temp changes. I did pack it over to the Ochocos last year and set some milk jugs out to freeze. Made for some niceexploding milk jugs .lol

Len

The leuapold I broke on the 460 had seen heavy use on a super red hawk for 15+ years. I think it was on its last leg when I put it on, had been a great scope. I will put it back on the 44 after it is fixed. I will probly by a new leuapold for the 460, Im sure the leuapold will hold up on it. The old one would have broke on the 44 any way, it was tired.

I very recently purchased a Vortex pistol scope and put it my 22/45 ruger.I liked it so well I bought a second one.Then came the dilema. Do I dare try it on my 460? They are not expensive but look very well made.I compromised and put it on my 952-2. I am going to put a couple hundred rounds thru it and if it holds up I will prob give it a try. I suspect that it prob won't last on the 460 but I should give it a try. At least I will be able to report the results.

Len

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts