May Get to Hunt With My XVR

memtb

After much aggravation with sticking cases at well below maximum loads, heck, even at minimum loads......the problem was resolved! The Hornady brass was replaced by Starline brass.....the problem disappeared.

Finally worked up to a near maximum load, with my 400 cast bullets. @ 1474 fps average, putting me only 50 fps below CorBon's velocity with their 395 grain loads, I'm content with the velocities. That should give me a legitimate 150 yard hunting handgun, and be capable of doing anything that I require of them!

Now to fill a deer and an cow elk tag with it! memtb

I've had issues with Hornady brass before, but in 338 Laupa. We had to use a mallet to open the bolt handle on a box of factory stuff. That was the last I've used Hornady brass. I've heard it got better, and I'll have to find out for loading 17 Hornet, but I unfortunately try my best to avoid it due to my own personal experiences.

Starline brass on the other hand - has historically been top notch for me in all the revolvers I've put it through. I've never had an issue with it and it holds up firing after firing.

After much aggravation with sticking cases at well below maximum loads, heck, even at minimum loads......the problem was resolved! The Hornady brass was replaced by Starline brass.....the problem disappeared.

Finally worked up to a near maximum load, with my 400 cast bullets. @ 1474 fps average, putting me only 50 fps below CorBon's velocity with their 395 grain loads, I'm content with the velocities. That should give me a legitimate 150 yard hunting handgun, and be capable of doing anything that I require of them!

Now to fill a deer and an cow elk tag with it! memtb
What length barrel do you have?

Hornady brass is ok for lighter loads or for one shot with heavier loads, but Starline is better across the board. BTW- the 200 gr Hornady FTX does hold together on deer. The attached picture is a Coues whitetail taken at about 25 yards with the 200 gr FTX at 2325 FPS. The wasn't a bit of lead left in the meat and the bullet held together perfectly. Deer was quartering to and the entry was on the point of the opposite shoulder. This is the exit.

Attachments

• Coues 1.jpg
    Coues 1.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Hornady brass is ok for lighter loads or for one shot with heavier loads, but Starline is better across the board. BTW- the 200 gr Hornady FTX does hole together on deer. The attached picture is a Coues whitetail taken at about 25 yards with the 200 gr FTX at 2325 FPS. The wasn't a bit of lead left in the meat and the bullet held together perfectly. Deer was quartering to and the entry was on the point of the opposite shoulder. This is the exit.
I have the same XVR as you. I took a Burris 2x7 w/illuminated reticle and put a Sig Romeo on it. How did you get 25 yds from a Coues deer ? Were you in a tree stand or ground blind . Congrats ! That ain't easy !

I'm running a Burris Fastfire 3moa reflex sight. Once I learned how to make targets that work with the dot system....I started shooting pretty good groups. In fact, better than I thought I could do with the 3moa sight.

I went with the reflex as it was lighter/smaller, and better suited my idea of revolver aesthetics! Plus, I'll only be shooting at bigger stuff at ranges under 150 yards....so the dot sight shouldn't be a handicap!

I shot 3 groups, in a row, that went from a large of 3 1/4"down to 2 5/16". However, I was only measuring 4 of the 5 shots fired.......as I have one chamber that consistently opens up the group. I'm now marking the cylinder, to determine which is the offender. I'll probably send the cylinder to a 'smith that specializes in handgun cylinder honing/truing, and see if it can be helped some.

If I don't get the cylinder fixed, I'll clearly mark the bad one....and make sure it's the last round fired. If I get to the point at which I'm down to firing the 5th round without a reload.....I'm already in "deep doo doo"! Having target grade accuracy is probably meaningless at that point! 🤔 memtb

I was on the ground next to a large log. That's a Burris 2.5-7 and it's the only one that's held up so far. I broke two Bushnells and a holographic sight before getting this Burris. The internal parts shot loose in the Bushnells and the glass actually broke in the holographic sight. This one has about 500 rounds through it, including some really heavy stuff that set off car alarms in the parking lot behind the range on every shot. I also have a 255 grain lead SWC load using Trail Boss that duplicates 45 Long Colt velocities (898 fps) with a SD of 9 FPS. You can head shoot grouse with it or cut the entire ten ring out of the standard pistol target at 50 yards. That one is far more comfortable to shoot.

8 3/8" ......Not my first choice as a bear defense handgun, but great for hunting! Keeping an eye open for a 5"er as a good companion for XVR #1! memtb
I think mine is 8 in. With brake. I'll have to measure. It looks like the one JLS has in pic. I was going to carry it hunting this year but ended up getting two 10mm's 🙄