.458 Win Mag

In the 458 WM I've found the lighter bullets are not really going fast enough to open sufficiently for lightly constructed thin skinned game like deer, they're better suited to pigs and more sturdy game.
However, once I started using them in the 458 Lott results were much better. After trying several bullets in the 300 - 400gr range, my favourite is the pointed 400gr Woodleigh PP @ 2600fps. This bullet mushrooms fast and I have quite a collection of recovered bullets, all lodged against the skin but without exiting.....and they kill very quickly.

In the 458 WM I've found the lighter bullets are not really going fast enough to open sufficiently for lightly constructed thin skinned game like deer, they're better suited to pigs and more sturdy game.
However, once I started using them in the 458 Lott results were much better. After trying several bullets in the 300 - 400gr range, my favourite is the pointed 400gr Woodleigh PP @ 2600fps. This bullet mushrooms fast and I have quite a collection of recovered bullets, all lodged against the skin but without exiting.....and they kill very quickly.

If I understand you correctly, you recovered these bullets from DEER?
I have a .458 Lott, in a really nice CZ 550 American Safari Magnum Laminated stock. I have not shot any game with it yet, as the Cape Buffalo and Grizzly populations in Fla. went to zero way before my time. I do plan to take it to the hunting club lease I belong to, that has tons of wild boar, to shoot one just to do it. I have both Lott ammo and Win. Mag that I have shot with no problems, all is Hornady Dangerous Game with 500 gr. DGS solids and DGX softpoints. I was entertaining the thought of reloading with Barnes 400 gr. TSX, or the 400 gr. Woodleigh softpoints, for 'maybe someday' use on Moose, Grizzly or big Black Bear. I would expect those to penetrate at least '3 deers thick.'

I've taken deer with my old 458 win mag. I've also taken a few rabbits with my 300 gr hollowpoints and 350 gr loads. The deer go no where but the shots are within a couple hundred yards into the shoulder. I can't imagine an elk going far with that huge slug in the shoulder.
You want to wake everyone one up just fire that thing at a rabbit in the wife's garden. She won't complain about the rabbits eating her cabbage after that happens a couple times.

If I understand you correctly, you recovered these bullets from DEER?
I have a .458 Lott, in a really nice CZ 550 American Safari Magnum Laminated stock. I have not shot any game with it yet, as the Cape Buffalo and Grizzly populations in Fla. went to zero way before my time. I do plan to take it to the hunting club lease I belong to, that has tons of wild boar, to shoot one just to do it. I have both Lott ammo and Win. Mag that I have shot with no problems, all is Hornady Dangerous Game with 500 gr. DGS solids and DGX softpoints. I was entertaining the thought of reloading with Barnes 400 gr. TSX, or the 400 gr. Woodleigh softpoints, for 'maybe someday' use on Moose, Grizzly or big Black Bear. I would expect those to penetrate at least '3 deers thick.'
Yes, at ranges under 100yds I've recovered bullets from deer, goats, and pigs. More from pigs, but broadside shoulder shots on both goats and deer often result in a nice flat mushroom bulged against the skin on the off side.
For buffalo, I've found the Woodleigh 550gr soft nose about the best, and I'm talking many many animals, and several bullet brands.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.