264 win mag

I found that a stiff load of IMR 7828 and 120 grain Barnes Tipped Triple Shocks running 3485fps was both accurate and shot like a laser beam. I suggest working up your loads from 63. grains. I am shooting 5 grains hotter than the maximum load listed with out pressure signs in a 26" Muller works 1:8, three groove barrel.
Shooting sub .3 moa at 600 yds off a bench.
Drops deer like they were hit in the head with a hammer.
Nat Lambeth

out of both of my Winchesters 70 they love the Hornady 129 grain sst and they are devastating on deer. good luck in finding a bullet for your needs

I've shot whitetails with several different cartridges ranging from 22-250 to 300 Win Mag. Bullet placement is the most important part. Nothing I have hit them with has flattened them like a 264 Win Mag shooting a 120gr Nosler BT right behind the shoulder. It's literally like turning off a light switch! My first 264 Mag was a Winchester model 70 with 24" barrel and it loved 59grs of IMR 4350 behind the 120gr BT and CCI 250 primer. My newest 264 is a Remington 700 and it prefers Retumbo.

My load is very close to yours .264 Win Mag Nosler Brass CCI 250 IMR4350 60.2gr and Nosler 120gr BT in a Model 70 with 24 inch barrel. My longest shot a Antelope just over 500 Yds with complete pass through. I would not be afraid to use this out to 750 YDS. I will be hunting Montana this fall with this combination for Mule Deer & Whitetail.

Back in '61 my dad bought a mod70 264wm and shot less that 1 box of ammo with it. Not sure what weight of bullets or brand of ammo, but he stated he didn't like the recoil. Well he bought a 270win. I've been shooting the 264 since junior high (late 70's) and started reload it in '84. With 140Sbt (Sierra) and imr4831 @ 61.3gr. Now I have a post '64 I've bought about 6 years ago, but haven't reloaded any for it yet on knowing what's going to be compatible (powder/bullet combo). Maybe this year I'll find out?

Hey guys,just got a Winchester model 70 in .264 Win Mag. What is a good round for whitetails up to around 300 yards?? Thanks!
I'd say one of the best, the .264 Win Mag has been tipping Deer over for a long time with a great track record in the field. If your rifle is a pre-64 it just makes it that much sweeter. Good luck with your new rifle. Cheers

I've been using my Winchester model 70 .264 Win mag since high school in 1989. This was my first rifle and still my favorite. I've have mostly used 140 gr Remington Core-lok with excellent results over the years. I bought a new box of Hornady 140 gr this past season but haven't tried them yet.

I've been using my Winchester model 70 .264 Win mag since high school in 1989. This was my first rifle and still my favorite. I've have mostly used 140 gr Remington Core-lok with excellent results over the years. I bought a new box of Hornady 140 gr this past season but haven't tried them yet.
What?!? You haven't burned out that barrel in 33 years!??!! Clearly you haven't read all the ."264 Win Mag barrel burner" articles, threads, BS that have been going around for the last 50 years. 🤣

Sorry…I couldn't resist contributing to this zombie 7 year old thread by bashing all the .264 WM haters.

Last word: .264 WM smokes the man-bun 6.5 Needmor!

The load I used in my 264WM 700BDLSS was the Nosler 120BT over 64.5gr of RL25. That load is HOT. Way over Alliant's recommended max. Did a great job on numerous Mule deer.

OP, start at the start!

Bed the action, freefloat the barre, tune the trigger

H1000 is the 264 WM's friend.

Out to 300 is a short range affair. My model 70 liked IMR 4831, Rem 9 1/2, and 129g Hornady Sp at 3150, not a hot load by a long shot, and every deer I shot had a nice hole on the off side. 129g Nosler long range accubond is a whale of an easy bullet to tune, and this bullet really knocks the heck out of deer. I prefer the 129g Long range accubond over the std 130g Accubond.

If you like the mono's, then the Barnes 127g Long Range jumping .050 from the lands was easy to tune in 4 different 6.5's, with the bullet performing flawlessly on deer and hogs.

There are some 127 Barnes on this site for sale right now, I would buy them all if I could spare the change.