45 ACP on Brown Bear.????

I have an M1 carbine and an automatic iv in 45 win mag.
I would think that they would do the trick but I don't know.

I mean, if you had nothing else…
Lots of muscle and bone to get through. That's why you will see lots of people recommending hard cast bullets being launched by something big like 44 mag or 45-70. Deep penetration is what is really needed.

There is what will kill a bear, and then there's what will stop a bear..
Ding ding ding! No doubt the bear will probably die of it's injuries…and you will of yours! Isn't that a deterrent policy? "Mutually assured destruction"? But
I hear those bears are notorious for not reading up on policy and just doing what they're gonna do regardless 🤣

Years ago - in upstate Michigan - a hunter killed a Big Brown Bear - which had at least half a dozen .45 bullets in it. The guy shooting the .45 was never found. A .45 is deadly on 200 lb humans - but hardly noticeable on a 700 Pound Brown Bear/Griz - who also has a thick fur coat.
There are no brown bears outside of Alaska and Russia; I think you meant to say black bear or perhaps the hunter was from upstate MI. A 700 pound grizz would be a monster. Some grizz in AK (Wrangell mtn area for example) are the same size as a large black bear.

First of all, what on the heck is a guide doing carrying a 9mm pea shooter in the woods hunting Brown Bear? He must be a complete fool in my opinion. The odds of him killing one are extremely rare, and IF he doesn't which has a very HIGH probability means he just gonna **** him off and charge him. Then what is he gonna do, launch some MORE 124gr 9mm bullets at him an hope he stops and goes away?!! Lets apply ration, reason, and a sliver of logic.
Obviously you don't know much about Phil Shoemaker, but the story line is that it was during a guided FISHING trip. Most of this discussion is about accidental bear encounters, not backup on a bear hunt.

If I were to be in Brown Bear territory I would be carrying at minimum 44 Mag with heavy HP pills. If this is your last line of defense on a PO'ed Brown Bear, I want something that is going to hopefully put it down. Next I would want a short 4" Magna-ported barrel. Colt Anaconda or a Dan Wesson ported 4".

Almost everyone that owns a 44 Mag reloads for them and there are some good performing heavy hard cast and jacketed HP bullets out there for the 44. Cast Performance has a 320gr. hard cast bullet that I have loaded and shot, they are very accurate. As mentioned above I would chose a ported barrel and I would not recommend cast bullets if you gun is ported. A 4" 44 Mag can be a handful with stout 300gr bullet, but I don't think lighter bullets would be a good idea against a PO'ed grizzly?

Then I would practice, practice, practice your life will depend on it! I have shot 44 Mag for more years than I wish to count (200m straight wall case silhouette). I'm am a fair shot, but I would not want to take on a PO'ed grizzly at close range period. I've gotten wiser as I have aged! A man must know his limitations!

watched recent videos on charging bear..... he used a 10mm....
wondered if anyone uses or has had or experience with a 45 acp for self protection...???
If I carried my 1911 Sig in Brown bear country for self protection I would request that my wife got a HUGE life insurance policy on me to leave a good $ inheritance to my kids and grandkids--- NOOOOOOOO WAY JOSE!!! I have taken feral hogs with a 1911 and is more than adequate for enraged druggies but there is no way I would carry a 45 ACP pistol when there are so many better option like a 460 S&W and a 500 S&W. Spend the coin and get a BIG BOYS GUN for Brown bear.

Obviously you don't know much about Phil Shoemaker, but the story line is that it was during a guided FISHING trip. Most of this discussion is about accidental bear encounters, not backup on a bear hunt.
Why would you be in the woods at all where there are Brown Bear and no way to protect yourself, whether fishing, hunting, walking or anything? You don't do that

There are no brown bears outside of Alaska and Russia; I think you meant to say black bear or perhaps the hunter was from upstate MI. A 700 pound grizz would be a monster. Some grizz in AK (Wrangell mtn area for example) are the same size as a large black bear.
Yes, but there are black bears whose color phase is more brownish, often referred to as "cinnamon" bears. There is more to that story than what we have here. Any large bear need to be respected and handled carefully.

The 45ACP is a very poor choice for large game hunting much less for a charging bear! LOL

The 10mm is a way better choice but still horribly too weak.

For a charging brown bear you really need a big bore magnum rifle like a 300WM, 338WM, 375H&H or a 458WM. You'll likely only get one accurate shot anyway because a brown bear or any bear for that matter can run 35mph and a shot with ANYTHING if not well placed will just **** off a brown bear and greatly decrease your chances of living through the encounter. You can shoot one through the heart and he or she will likely live another 30 seconds to a minute and if you think you can survive even 15 seconds of a brown bear's fury you're delusional.

wondered if anyone uses or has had or experience with a 45 acp for self protection...???
I lived on Baranof Island in the Southeast Alaskan Panhandle for 34 years. The ABC Islands have the greatest Brown Bear density on the planet. Although I have a 1911 45acp, that thought never crossed my mind. I hunted deer not bear, yet my hunting weapons were Brownie capable. When I didn't choose to carry a 375H&H, I opted for my Dan Wesson 445 Supermag or 460 S&W. Heavy timber cover meant shots were close.

I live in Montana. Carry bear spray and a .460 Smith and Wesson. The .460 rounds have a lot of punch. You can also shoot .45 long colt and .454 Casul out of it to keep practice affordable. 10 mm Glock 21 is also very popular with guys as a bow hunting protection tool. Good ballistics and lots of rounds. .45ACP is not on the list of hood options for bear.

I live in Montana. Carry bear spray and a .460 Smith and Wesson. The .460 rounds have a lot of punch. You can also shoot .45 long colt and .454 Casul out of it to keep practice affordable. 10 mm Glock 21 is also very popular with guys as a bow hunting protection tool. Good ballistics and lots of rounds. .45ACP is not on the list of hood options for bear.
Great caliber choices!! My next I think will be a .454