45 ACP on Brown Bear.????

watched recent videos on charging bear..... he used a 10mm....
wondered if anyone uses or has had or experience with a 45 acp for self protection...???
45 acp for self defense from thugs, yes. For Brown Bear guiding in Alaska I carry a 500 Smith. My friends brother is a guide and has had to use it twice in 30+ years.

I saw a 1911 for sale at a Gun Show with a documented story behind it. It was in a display case with pictures and the story. It showed a young Airman in the Airforce standing next to a big Brown outside the Air Base in AK. The bear was dead and the young Airman was holding a 1911 .45. He killed the Brown that was charging him. Government .45 Ball ammo

My opinion, 45 ACP is fat and slow. Which lends itself to low penetration. The 10mm is faster and with the smaller frontal area, though still enough, it leads to deeper penetration.
Good enough for self protection, but too stupid for a Brown Bear. Ain't no way I'd try it.

Years ago - in upstate Michigan - a hunter killed a Big Brown Bear - which had at least half a dozen .45 bullets in it. The guy shooting the .45 was never found. A .45 is deadly on 200 lb humans - but hardly noticeable on a 700 Pound Brown Bear/Griz - who also has a thick fur coat.
And bone structure isn't comparable and at the very least 2 inches of fat on a very young one.

I mean, if you had nothing else…
Lots of muscle and bone to get through. That's why you will see lots of people recommending hard cast bullets being launched by something big like 44 mag or 45-70. Deep penetration is what is really needed.

There is what will kill a bear, and then there's what will stop a bear..