45 ACP on Brown Bear.????

My two buddies and I had to kill a cat last year that came in to camp and would not leave using 10 mm. I was not too impressed with the animal taking a couple shots to the body and running off not knowing if he was hit or not. We ended up finding him about 60 yards from camp waiting on us behind a log. One of us managed a spine shot that put him down and finished him with a head shot. Not sure on how many times he was hit but it was too many to feel confident on a charging bear.

Lucky Shot by that Airman.
I don't think so.

Mostly outdoors stories are just that like fishing stories. Somehow Brown Bear carry a myth about them being invincible etc. This is based likely on fear not fact.

The data is contrary. Just a few years ago a Guide stopped one mean dude with some good underwood or Buffalo Bore ammo behind a 9mm.

Any Decent FMJ or HARD CAST bullet will penetrate. The Flat Point designs used but BB or UW are good choices that are proven to go straight during that penetration.

Bigger is always better IMHO, but a good shot always beat big bores

Phil Shoemaker killed a big Alaskan Brownie at a few feet with a 9mm and some Buffalo Bore 147 grain hardcast in Alaska a few years back, while guiding some fishing clients. While neither a 9mm nor .45 ACP would be my first choice, if you put some stout Hard Cast loads in your .45 it will do the trick. Its more about shot placement and penetration than overall Kinetic Energy. But hear me loud and clear: I don't recommend either a 9mm nor .45 ACP for brown bear Defense. 10mm in a semi auto or a .44 Mag wheel gun for a MINIMUM in my opinion. .454 Casull even better.

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/alaska-man-kills-charging-brown-bear-with-a-9mm-pistol/

I have a FNP-45 double stack 45. I like ball ammo (good penetration) as the hole is big enough to start with and it feeds best in all the autos. If you don't carry a 45-70 lever gun then FNP-45 is just right. Watch that front sight and the bear will die right there.

Were there any survivors ?
GOOD Question .. I fear the Bear wins, unless it's a Small one and just one of them ..
I feel a 45ACP is to slow .. If I only had a 10mm or a 45acp for that Job , I'll take the 10mm ... I Can make it go 1250 FPC ... 45ACP at less than 900 FPC, GREAT on Human weight Targets same as a 10mm... 7or 8 rounds in My ACP, 15 In My 10mm M&P ... Were I to be in BIG Bear Country... My S&W 29 ,44 Mg. 4" would come along .. Here in Colorado, we have good size Black Bear .. So , I'll take my 10mm for the edges it has over the 45 ACP ..

I shot 45ACP in competion(tactical) for years and although it fits my hand well, it just doesn't have enough penetration for bear.
I usually carry a 44 magnum Desert Eagle for bear country. heavy, but very effective.
My 50 AE Desert Eagle has too much muzzle flip to be used while the 44 allows double taps with no issues. The 460 Rowland provides 44 magnum performance but I have not been able to get total reliability with mine so it is relegated to target work.

I don't think so.

Mostly outdoors stories are just that like fishing stories. Somehow Brown Bear carry a myth about them being invincible etc. This is based likely on fear not fact.

The data is contrary. Just a few years ago a Guide stopped one mean dude with some good underwood or Buffalo Bore ammo behind a 9mm.

Any Decent FMJ or HARD CAST bullet will penetrate. The Flat Point designs used but BB or UW are good choices that are proven to go straight during that penetration.

Bigger is always better IMHO, but a good shot always beat big bores
First of all, what on the heck is a guide doing carrying a 9mm pea shooter in the woods hunting Brown Bear? He must be a complete fool in my opinion. The odds of him killing one are extremely rare, and IF he doesn't which has a very HIGH probability means he just gonna **** him off and charge him. Then what is he gonna do, launch some MORE 124gr 9mm bullets at him an hope he stops and goes away?!! Lets apply ration, reason, and a sliver of logic.

I have shot injured deer and bear over the years with a 9mm , 40S&W and a 45 acp. They all worked on deer but for bear absolutly not. the 9mm and the 45acp did not have the pentation to stop a bear even already injured. I have dispatched 4 Black Bear of 150 lbs + with only 1 shot from my 40S&W. These were all close range put downs with same type of shot placement.

watched recent videos on charging bear..... he used a 10mm....
wondered if anyone uses or has had or experience with a 45 acp for self protection
Heavy and slow doesn't give me a whole lot of confidence in sufficient depth of penetration on a grizzly here in NW Wyoming. I definitely wouldn't be confident in the 45 acp's ability to stop an Alaskan Brown Bear.

Phil Shoemaker killed a big Alaskan Brownie at a few feet with a 9mm and some Buffalo Bore 147 grain hardcast in Alaska a few years back, while guiding some fishing clients. While neither a 9mm nor .45 ACP would be my first choice, if you put some stout Hard Cast loads in your .45 it will do the trick. Its more about shot placement and penetration than overall Kinetic Energy. But hear me loud and clear: I don't recommend either a 9mm nor .45 ACP for brown bear Defense. 10mm in a semi auto or a .44 Mag wheel gun for a MINIMUM in my opinion. .454 Casull even better.

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/alaska-man-kills-charging-brown-bear-with-a-9mm-pistol/
I have hunted with Phil and his son Taj. Both are great guys; class operation.

Recent Posts