45-70 Load Suggestions

I'm running a 26" barrel. I'm seeing 2600 with my Labrador.
I don't post the load but I got it from the Barns web page 250 grain load.

BLM - barrel length matters. I can only achieve 2,300 fps from an 18.5" bbl with a Barnes max load of 1680 and a Hornady 250 monometal bullet. I was curious to know if the 250 Hammer bullet would be faster with the same load.

Last edited:
Just picked up a Marlin 1895 GBL and am looking for input/experience on powder recommendations. Right now the only plans I have for it are using it on CA black bear and pigs, then occasionally taking it back home for Iowa whitetail, so I figured the easy button is to lean toward 250 gr Barnes or Hammer.

I have IMR 8208 XBR, but was thinking about picking up some Viht N120 to also try out.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Just picked up a Marlin 1895 GBL and am looking for input/experience on powder recommendations. Right now the only plans I have for it are using it on CA black bear and pigs, then occasionally taking it back home for Iowa whitetail, so I figured the easy button is to lean toward 250 gr Barnes or Hammer.

I have IMR 8208 XBR, but was thinking about picking up some Viht N120 to also try out.

Anyone have any other suggestions?
I have the new Ruger/Marlin 45-70 Trapper and have three very accurate loads.
325 grain FTX with 53 grains of H322
350 grain Round nose Hornady with 52 grains of H322
405 Grain hard cast with 30 grains of IMR 4198
Using Fed 210 primers for all. The 405 grain works in the Trapdoor also

BLM - barrel length matters. I can only achieve 2,300 fps from an 18.5" bbl with a Barnes max load of 1680 and a Hornady 250 monometal bullet. I was curious to know if the 250 Hammer bullet would be faster with the same load.
Load some up and see. You can get a sample pack to try. It would be very interesting to do a direct comparison.
Usually Hammers are faster.

Kris

Load some up and see. You can get a sample pack to try. It would be very interesting to do a direct comparison.
Usually Hammers are faster.

Kris

While I'm tempted to try some light .458 Hammers, I've got an extensive inventory of bullets (cup & core and monometal) for my 45-70 already. I do have some 402 SH bullets and they worked very well on a large bull moose. The 250 Hornady MonoFlex is reasonably priced and is very accurate in my 1895SBL. It's plenty of bullet for whitetails and pigs.

I have the new Ruger/Marlin 45-70 Trapper and have three very accurate loads.
325 grain FTX with 53 grains of H322
350 grain Round nose Hornady with 52 grains of H322
405 Grain hard cast with 30 grains of IMR 4198
Using Fed 210 primers for all. The 405 grain works in the Trapdoor also
Hi Dave, Your loads will be both safe and mild in your M95. By my calculations they're all generating about 28-30,000 psi. Be3 advises that the M95 can, and has, been chambered in cartridges safely generating 45,000 psi. so, if you are going to list Black Bear on your itinerary, you might consider moving that 405 load up to 48 hrs. Just sayin'

Hi Dave, Your loads will be both safe and mild in your M95. By my calculations they're all generating about 28-30,000 psi. Be3 advises that the M95 can, and has, been chambered in cartridges safely generating 45,000 psi. so, if you are going to list Black Bear on your itinerary, you might consider moving that 405 load up to 48 hrs. Just sayin'
A 405 grain bullet at 1200 fps will go clear through a bear, length wise, at 200 yards. Making it go faster just increases recoil, it doesn't kill any better at all. Just sayin'.

Recent Posts