.45-70 Grizz Defense

I love the Marlin GG. I have one that I love and bought some Grizzly Cartridge Co 405 gr hard-cast flat point +P for it at 2050 fps. It goes with me on certain back country excursions/camping trips for bear protection.
I kept the open sights and carry it sans the sling for the most part.

Attachments

• 553D8C28-C433-4B06-87A1-04291AEB16D2.jpeg
    553D8C28-C433-4B06-87A1-04291AEB16D2.jpeg
    465.6 KB · Views: 69
I've never shot a grizzly, however....have shot a few black bear with a 45-70 and when hit, they "don't" go far. If I were going to use the 45-70 for grizzly I would use the Barnes 300 grain, FTX FB (flat base) bullets. I know they will penetrate "at least" four feet of fat and bone and keep right on trucking, leaving a devastating/impressive exit hole The photo is of a 225lb black bear, shot broadside at about 50 yards.

Attachments

• Dad's bear 45-70 2020 (2).jpg
    Dad's bear 45-70 2020 (2).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 137
Super hard cast from Garrets…Last two from my Cape Buff… next to last was the insurance shot but he dropped as if hit by Thor's hammer on the first. first 3 from a Giraffe… PH was so impressed with the performance on the Cape that he offered up a Giraffe bill to see how it would do with boiler room shots
46F51A80-A78A-4993-A68E-968867B1D642.jpeg

If you don't mind spending the money on already made ammo, the Buffalo Bore line is no joke. Shiiting them will wake you up! Their flat nose penetrator in either Hardcast or mono stop just about anything. If you hand load, I use a 405 grain which finished is about 420 grains with lube and gas checks with 43 grains of IMR4198 moving about 1,850fps and I have shot through 18" hardwood stumps laid sideways with targets on them. So I have no doubt they will easily shoot through anything on a bear. Whatever you choose, make sure it is a flat nose to create more damage and better wound channel. I've been testing a ton of loads the last few years out my GG and #3, and that 4 load recipe I stated has been a great combo of power and shootability for me.

That's interesting. I would have expected the nose petals to have sheared off like their other bullets. I shot the 402 SH at about 1,700 ft/sec and hit a bull moose broadside, twice. Both bullets exited and the lungs had holes around the main shank hole that looked like petals flying through. I shot the moose at 125yds and never calculated the impact velocity.

I originally clocked them at 1800 fps out of my sharps but that was at 40 degrees which put my impact at 1500 fps or so. That being said I had spent almost an hour outside at -5 degrees with the round in the chamber before taking the shot while the second was in my pocket. Not sure how temp sensitive H4198 is so that might have resulted in the velocity discrepancy.

Interesting, no one pointed out, shooting a charging bear is a challenge at best. I know Kodiak guides that have missed them 3 of 5 in a charge and said try hitting a moving target coming at you the way a bear runs at 35mph - moving from side to side and up and down and at great speed. You may get all hits on the target, but then add a full dose of adrenaline and fear of certain death and see how accurate you are. So let's say you do well and get 3 hits out of 5. With any of the hard casts listed 350gr and up especially, if you hit even a monster Grizzly 3 or 4 times and it doesn't stop/deter him/her, then God musta had other plans for you that day and it wouldn't have mattered if you were carrying a 460 Wby w/7500ftlbs. You may want to check laws for your hunt, some states I am positive frown on/prohibit by law you carrying a rifle during archery season. (hell, some have it illegal to carry even a pistol - eg. idiots of CA for one)

Ended up finding a barely used (4 rounds down) Marlin 1895SBL today for a great deal.

We drew elk in Wyoming and will be hunting some of the densest grizz territory in the state with a buddy that's a local (taking us into wilderness). I'm in Idaho so I'm around bears but not grizz as much where I hunt.

My question is, what round would you personally be using if you had a grizz charge?

My buddy says they usually run into 2-4 every year in the area. Only one hairy situation as they're pretty cautious. Yes I'll also be carrying bear spray.

Just curious on a round that has the best stopping power. Thanks!View attachment 377119
What softtail103 said. Buffalo Bore makes one that hits with slightly shy of TWO TONS! (Muzzle)

Ended up finding a barely used (4 rounds down) Marlin 1895SBL today for a great deal.

We drew elk in Wyoming and will be hunting some of the densest grizz territory in the state with a buddy that's a local (taking us into wilderness). I'm in Idaho so I'm around bears but not grizz as much where I hunt.

My question is, what round would you personally be using if you had a grizz charge?

My buddy says they usually run into 2-4 every year in the area. Only one hairy situation as they're pretty cautious. Yes I'll also be carrying bear spray.

Just curious on a round that has the best stopping power. Thanks!View attachment 377119
405gr

I lived in Alaska for over 30 years before starting the snowbird thing. Never had a real full on charge from a brown bear. Had a couple bluff charges ( that ended in neither of us getting killed) . Also had a couple that just got ****y and circled me doing the low growl thing. I probably got close to a kill or something and didn't know it. Those two ended up shot. Had one full on black bear charge and was carrying that marlin. Was running supplies back to a camp for an upcoming moose hunt. I was riding my horse and had two strung behind me. Had a black lab zipping in and out of the brush looking for birds. I seen what I thought was the black dog up around the bend running towards me, then realized that the dog was actually right in front of the horse. I thought we'll if your here, who is that? Then the realization popped in that it was a large black bear running at me. The horse stopped as I was pulling the rifle from the scabbard. I cocked the hammer and pulled my feet from the stirrups, figuring I was going to be ejected when i pilled the trigger. Bear hit the 20 yard line and I pulled the trigger…… well the horse stood dead still to my amazement, and the bear cartwheeled about 2-3 times then went sideways into tall grass. I got off the horse, snuck up to that spot, and found the bear doing his last breaths right where he disappeared.

That marlin points and shoots much like a shotgun to me…..and I have a lot of confidence with it. Which is why it's with me a lot.

I have a load for my 45-70 that I loaded to shoot a Bison, Grizzly, and maybe even a Cape Buffalo! It consists of Starline Brass a Winchester Large Rifle Primer, 57 gr. of IMR 3031, and a 350gr. Swift A- Frame Lever Action Flat Point Bullet I'm getting right at 2000 fps. out of my 22" bbl.