.45-70 Grizz Defense

It's unlikely that my Marlin GG will see use in our elk hunting area. Our area is mixed with timber and wide open spaces….so the 45-70 is not practical for "all around" use! If it is used…..I will be using my "homegrown" powder coated, cast (tempered), 430 grain, wide metplat bullets pushed to near 1900fps.

That's the only bullet (load) that I use in my GG, whether it be deer or larger game. A similar bullet and load, should give you "end to end" penetration on all but perhaps the largest bears, while creating a pretty decent path of destruction while in route! 😉

By the way…….beautiful rifle! I'm a bit envious as I wanted SS, but settled for a large loop, blue, in laminate! memtb

WE9x073l.jpg
430gr of hardcast lead at 1,900 ft/sec :eek:. I'm not sure which end of that rifle it would be better to avoid. I load some 45-70 ammo fairly stiff but that load sure has me beat. :D

Yep, 2,100 fps 300gr Nosler CT probably just bounce off a bear skull like a. spent popcorn kernel. Those internet A-500 skulls get thicker and tougher every year.
Told ya it was a dumb question🤣 I've heard some horror stories with 10s not penetrating or lodging into the skull of a bear so it just had me thinking dumb🤣

Just a thought but I used a 402gr Hammer bullet in my 1895SBL. It might just prove to have the best overall qualities for incapacitating large critters.
View attachment 377158

Works on bison at 100 yards, the right one was the first shot that made it through on a broadside and got caught in the hair on the far side while the left one broke the spine and got caught in the bone on the far shoulder. Impact was approximately 1500 fps or so.

2EAE41D4-B135-4F51-933D-510A45A5793E.jpeg

Works on bison at 100 yards, the right one was the first shot that made it through on a broadside and got caught in the hair on the far side while the left one broke the spine and got caught in the bone on the far shoulder. Impact was approximately 1500 fps or so.

View attachment 377276

That's interesting. I would have expected the nose petals to have sheared off like their other bullets. I shot the 402 SH at about 1,700 ft/sec and hit a bull moose broadside, twice. Both bullets exited and the lungs had holes around the main shank hole that looked like petals flying through. I shot the moose at 125yds and never calculated the impact velocity.

430gr of hardcast lead at 1,900 ft/sec :eek:. I'm not sure which end of that rifle it would be better to avoid. I load some 45-70 ammo fairly stiff but that load sure has me beat. :D

It's not bad! I think that my wife's .338 WM has a "sharper" recoil from the bench!

I did go kinda cheap on the scope, with limited eye relief at the high power setting (4x)….it "WILL" sneak-up on you if get complacent! 😉 memtb

Rest assured. There's not a grizzly bear on the planet that will walk or charge through a properly loaded 45-70 with hard cast bullets 350 grains and up at 1900-2000 fps. They kill on one end and darn near cripple on the other. The recoil is fierce without a mercury tube or muzzle brake. No plastic tips or softpoints please.

Brian Pierce has used them in Africa on Cape Buffalo with NO problems. These are Ruger #1's or Browning 1895 underlever guns. Not sure about the Marlin action with these stiff loads, but the bear will lose all interest in this world with a center mass hit with one of these.