Marlin .45/70?

Would you use on Bear a .35 Marlin or a .45/70? what would you use?
The 45/70 just about knocked out fillings in my teeth.

Hand's down……the 45-70! My pretty heavily charged (430 grain cast at 1800 fps) Marlin GG has similar (actually less sharp) to my wife's .338 WM. More of a hard push.

Maybe the good recoil pad, and the additional weight of the scope (though a lightweight scope) help tame the felt recoil!

If I hunted more dense timber, my GG might see much more use! memtb

Until I read all of the recent posts…..I didn't realize that this thread had been brought back from the dead!

I do wonder what the OP decided upon! On that note……I wonder if the OP also needs a resurrection, so we can get an answer! 😉 memtb

My load wasn't too hot since I ran a Marlin Century Limited III. I read that it's 18" octagonal barrel might not handle the pressures as high as the GG. Plus it's a bit lighter if I remember correctly. My 350 roundnose loads ran around 1880 fps if I remember correctly. The guide said he never seen a caribou go down so hard.

I've shot a pile of black bears and normally use the Marlin 45-70 that is pictured in my avatar. My rifle shoots many different bullets under an inch at 100yds. But for soft sided black bears I like the Speer 400 SPFN the best. It's fairly soft and readily expands making a rather large hole in game animals. So far, I haven't caught one in a bear yet. All have exited. I caught one in a big boar hog after it penetrated both shields and got caught in the skin on the off-side. The fat ol slug expanded to 90 caliber and remained completely intact.

I shoot the 400JSP at just over 1,700 ft/sec so the recoil is manageable.