.45-70 Grizz Defense

Heck no I don't blame the bear, no more than getting bit by a shark if I'm swimming in the ocean, but that doesn't mean I won't kill that sucker if I have a chance. But I also understand that once a bear attacks a human they have lost their natural fear, if they ever had any, and it has to be removed from the area one way or the other.
Problem with grizlies is they don't have any fear of humans. They haven't been hunted since 1970. If the anti's don't hold up in court for years like the wolf we could get a limited griz hunt going. USFW is anti hunting also. They want to put buffalo on endangered list now. Seriously ? It would take many years for grizzlies to fear humans if were hunted again. The only ones that would of are dead now. Maybe pepper sprayed bears have some fear of humans now ? I wouldn't count on it....

They are so many bear in Alaska it's hard to iD which bear done what usually if their time afterwards other bears join the kill.

" Remember Grizzly will maul you but black bears will eat you "
I'm pretty sure a griz will eat you after it crushes your skull if hungry.

Article with Craig Boddington and Marlin rifles. One Pic. shows Craig with a Cape Buffalo and a Marlin 45-70.

Here in Alaska Grizzly follow their nose, mainly after food at campsites. Salmon fishing here saw a fisherman on the opposite bank with a string of red salmon behind him and watched a big brown bear come up from behind and still his fish while he was wading in the water fishing. We waved and yelled at the fisherman and he waved back unknowingly about the bear behind him until the bear ruined his catch. It was funny but very dangerous for the fisherman but the bear only wanted the catch.
Black Bears are the most aggressive of all the bears here and the most deadly. Here we have so many Grizzlies a harvest tag is not required 1 per year.

Last edited:
I hunt the Adirondacks in New York for Deer and Bear. Black Bears will do anything to avoid you - except Sow with Cubs. Hiking and Camping we put bells on our shoes or staff so as not to surprise one.

Good ideal same here ! Is that dinner bells ?
Black Bears here once climbed on top of a hunting cabin to get to a woman, where her husband placed her while he went to a neighbor cabin to get a gun. When he returned he found his wife dead. Why he didn't have a some type of gun while camping ………never go camping/fishing or berry picking here no matter where without my 45/70 or 12ga. My wife loves to pick blue berries in August while I bear watch.
I could tell you stories all day about bears in Alaska we are surrounded with Grizzly and Black Bear.
In my previous job I was trained to Haze bear with Rubber Slugs. So many stupid tourist observed while working but that's another story !
Bear in a Super Cub plane ………o boy !
The most dangerous is the Polar Bear they don't see humans often so they are not afraid they sound the Bear Siren in town up North when a bear walks into town. In Fairbanks we killed 18 grizzly that was in populated areas around Fairbanks one year .

Last edited:
Good ideal same here ! Is that dinner bells ?
Black Bears here once climbed on top of a hunting cabin to get to a woman, where her husband placed her while he went to a neighbor cabin to get a gun. When he returned he found his wife dead. Why he didn't have a some type of gun while camping ………never go camping/fishing or berry picking here no matter where without my 45/70 or 12ga. My wife loves to pick blue berries in August while I bear watch.
I could tell you stories all day about bears in Alaska we are surrounded with Grizzly and Black Bear.
In my previous job I was trained to Haze bear with Rubber Slugs. So many stupid tourist observed while working but that's another story !
Bear in a Super Cub plane ………o boy !
The most dangerous is the Polar Bear they don't see humans often so they are not afraid they sound the Bear Siren in town up North when a bear walks into town. In Fairbanks we killed 18 grizzly that was in populated areas around Fairbanks one year .
Alaskan Brown bears are a lot different than Inland grizzlies. You have both. Browns are into the fish and scavenge . Grizzlies will scavenge also. Eat vegitation, grubs, moths, etc But it will hunt and run down and kill anything it can catch. Elk, moose, buffalo , deer. A human is just another prey . Campground and city bears are different animal. They associate people with food. They like newborn elk calves and deer fawns also like black bear. I'd take my chances running into a black bear anyday over a grizzley . I've never heard of anybody getting attacked by a black bear in Wyoming in a long time.

Last edited:
Alaskan Brown bears are a lot different than Inland grizzlies. You have both. Browns are into the fish and scavenge . Grizzlies will scavenge also. Eat vegitation, grubs, moths, etc But it will hunt and run down and kill anything it can catch. Elk, moose, buffalo , deer. A human is just another prey . Campground and city bears are different animal. They associate people with food. Not people as good They like newborn elk calves and deer fawns also like black bear. I'd take my chances running into a black bear anyday over a grizzley . I've never heard of anybody getting attacked by a black bear in Wyoming in a long time.
I have 2 friends that have been attacked by black bears, 1 of them lost part of a finger, he's known as 9 1/2 now, the doc doesn't know if the bear bit it off or he shot it off when shooting the beat that was on top of him. The other had a bear on top of him while he was stabbing it and it bit him on his inner thigh, he almost bled to death, so black bear attacks do happen, but I get it, they are not normally near the size of grizzly's, nor are their claws or teeth near as long.

My pastor got mauled while packing a moose quarter out by Grizzly he got scarred up but shot the bear 6 times with a 44 mag on top of him the bear is on display full mount at Fort Greeley air port AK with the 6 holes . I could tell you so many stories about bear attacks in Alaska. Yes most will retreat but when that dinner bell rings look out ! Bad thing In Alaska Black Bear far out number Grizzlies and Brown Bear especially in the interior.

Last edited: