.45-70 Grizz Defense

Have relatives that live at Caroga Lake.
I hunt Tug Hill, Raquette Lake area, 8th lake (black bear mt.), Inlet. My hunting buddy is a NYS Guide - he is up to about 40 bears all archery. For gun hunting we float some rivers in a 19'' Grumman square stern (Trapper) model. He likes his .32 Special Winchester, I like my Marlin .450Marlin

I have 2 friends that have been attacked by black bears, 1 of them lost part of a finger, he's known as 9 1/2 now, the doc doesn't know if the bear bit it off or he shot it off when shooting the beat that was on top of him. The other had a bear on top of him while he was stabbing it and it bit him on his inner thigh, he almost bled to death, so black bear attacks do happen, but I get it, they are not normally near the size of grizzly's, nor are their claws or teeth near as long.
I think 750lbs is largest NY bear. Not sure if it was taken by a hunter. https://www.bing.com/search?q=new+y...8B93AD21F3494D85CA747060898D0B&FORM=QBRE&sp=1

Yes, it was taken by a hunter in Arietta, NY (Hal Avery?) and stood full mount at his restaurant Averys Inn there for many years. I had a photo of me in front of it when I was 18 or so. I was 6'4" about 220 and looked like I was a 12 year old. I have personally dragged out bears in excess of 400 lbs there which cured me of ever shooting one in Adirondack back country. I use to hunt the High Peaks Wilderness Area and you could easily be 10+ miles from any road. The Adirondacks may have the best OTC bear hunting in land! When I deer hunted for 5-7 days in back country, I would see 7-10 deer over that time but also see 3-5 bears easily. This is pure wilderness that most people do not have a clue how wild this place is. LOL, I killed a really nice 8pt that took me over 2 hours hard walk before daylight to get to the beaver flow and projected a cut from one valley to another. Got to spot 1/2 hour after light, stood for sec, heard deer coming down cut, saw as shooter and killed it. Oh boy, friend called me on radio I dropped off 1/2 mile away and he was dumbfounded it happened so fast. So after photos, dressing it out, grabbing a snack, started drag out on 4" snow. Took us almost to dark to get him out crossing some nasty ravines, streams etc. Wore hair off hide off one hindquarter! Even a cart would have been useless in some fo the spots we had to get through. Had one heck of a meal in Newcomb that night which was almost hour drive to get there from back two track we were on.

Avery.Inn.700lb bear.jpg

Last edited:
My fav area to hunt was just northeast of Wells and has plenty of deer and for sure bears. You cannot leave anything resembling food in your truck overnight by cabin. The vehicle will not be in one piece in morning!!!

Yes, it was taken by a hunter in Arietta, NY (Hal Avery?) and stood full mount at his restaurant Averys Inn there for many years. I had a photo of me in front of it when I was 18 or so. I was 6'4" about 220 and looked like I was a 12 year old. I have personally dragged out bears in excess of 400 lbs there which cured me of ever shooting one in Adirondack back country. I use to hunt the High Peaks Wilderness Area and you could easily be 10+ miles from any road. The Adirondacks may have the best OTC bear hunting in land! When I deer hunted for 5-7 days in back country, I would see 7-10 deer over that time but also see 3-5 bears easily. This is pure wilderness that most people do not have a clue how wild this place is. LOL, I killed a really nice 8pt that took me over 2 hours hard walk before daylight to get to the beaver flow and projected a cut from one valley to another. Got to spot 1/2 hour after light, stood for sec, heard deer coming down cut, saw as shooter and killed it. Oh boy, friend called me on radio I dropped off 1/2 mile away and he was dumbfounded it happened so fast. So after photos, dressing it out, grabbing a snack, started drag out on 4" snow. Took us almost to dark to get him out crossing some nasty ravines, streams etc. Wore hair off hide off one hindquarter! Even a cart would have been useless in some fo the spots we had to get through. Had one heck of a meal in Newcomb that night which was almost hour drive to get there from back two track we were on.

View attachment 380846
👍🏻🇺🇸

When I lived in Ca . San Bernardino National Forest on east side of Big Bear Lake by Holcomb Valley there were a few black bears taken over 600 lbs. Not dump bears .
Dump was miles from town. I have pics of some monster's a buddy who hunted with hounds killed. Somewhere.