.45-70 Grizz Defense

Here's the bear shot on my first bear hunt, 532 lbs, no I did not get to shoot it, I was that almost guy, so I went to the dance alone, but luckily my son got to shoot the bear, he shot it with a 454 Casull revolver at the grand ole distance of 8 feet. Shot 2013

Attachments

• Christopher's Bear.jpg
    Christopher's Bear.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Me w Christopher's Bear n Hunting group.jpg
    Me w Christopher's Bear n Hunting group.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Here's the bear he shot using my 45-70 last year. I'm sorry I'm not home so I don't have the load data, but I'll update it when I return. Shot 2021 both from N. Carolina, he's in the Marine Corps and he got them both when he was stationed there. He has shot a few more but these are his two biggest, his wife has shot one, his oldest daughter has gotten one, and his son has shot one, two daughters to go. One may or may not be a hunter, time will tell, but the youngest definitely will be when she's old enough.

Attachments

• Christopher's 45-70 Bear 2021.jpg
    Christopher's 45-70 Bear 2021.jpg
    792.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Christopher's 45-70 Bear 2021a.jpg
    Christopher's 45-70 Bear 2021a.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Christopher's 45-70 Bear 2021 bullet.jpg
    Christopher's 45-70 Bear 2021 bullet.jpg
    361.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Joslyn n bear.jpg
    Joslyn n bear.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Ryan's 1st bear w Chtistopher.jpg
    Ryan's 1st bear w Chtistopher.jpg
    444.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Jamie w her 325 lbs black bear.jpg
    Jamie w her 325 lbs black bear.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Here's the bear he shot using my 45-70 last year. I'm sorry I'm not home so I don't have the load data, but I'll update it when I return. Shot 2021 both from N. Carolina, he's in the Marine Corps and he got them both when he was stationed there. He has shot a few more but these are his two biggest, his wife has shot one, his oldest daughter has gotten one, and his son has shot one, two daughters to go. One may or may not be a hunter, time will tell, but the youngest definitely will be when she's old enough.
That's a good size boar (bear) you son shot with rifle. Did he shoot the one with 454 in the head ?

Here's the bear he shot using my 45-70 last year. I'm sorry I'm not home so I don't have the load data, but I'll update it when I return.

That's a good size boar (bear) you son shot with rifle. Did he shoot the one with 454 in the head ?
Yes sir, right between the eyes, he crawled in on his hands and knees with his buddy to get to it, they got within 10' of the bear, and a dog tried to jump over them, his buddy grabbed the dog and drug it back over them, and the bear looked their way, and my son sent it to bear heaven right there. It's common practice for them to jump up and re-shoot the bear in the back of the skull just in case the first one knocks the bear down so if the bear gets back up it doesn't kill or injure a lot of dogs but this one was down for the count with that shot between the eyes.
Bear dead, one dog dead, 4 dogs stitched up, 1 dog took to the vet to save its life, which they did, and one pi**ed off Magistrate, his dog was the one that was dead. A deer hunter shot the bear in its left rear ankle 20 mins prior to my son killing it, the man had permission to hunt deer on the property but not bears. idk, what happened to the guy, they never told me so who knows, but when we drug the bear out he was already gone, but I got a good look at the pickup going in to see the bear and described it to them and they tracked it down about a week later.

Last edited:
Yes sir, right between the eyes, he crawled in on his hands and knees with his buddy to get to it, they got within 10' of the bear, and a dog tried to jump over them, his buddy grabbed the dog and drug it back over them, and the bear looked their way, and my son sent it to bear heaven right there. It's common practice for them to jump up and reshoot the bear in the back of the skull just in case the first one knocks the bear down so if the bear gets back up it doesn't kill or injure a lot of dogs but this one was down for the count with that shot between the eyes.
Bear dead, one dog dead, 4 dogs stitched up, 1 dog took to the vet to save its life, which they did, and one ****ed off Magistrate, his dog was the one that was dead. A deer hunter shot the bear in its left rear ankle 20 mins prior to my son killing it, who had permission to hunt deer on the property but not bears. idk, what happened to the guy, they never told me so who knows, but when we drug the bear out he was already gone, but I got a good look at the pickup going in to see the bear and described it to them and they tracked it down about a week later.
I didn't know you were hunting with hounds. Sucks about the dogs but good they didn't get messed up.

I didn't know you were hunting with hounds. Sucks about the dogs but good they didn't get messed up.
It was the first time I ever went bear hunting and I was invited by the man who drug the dog back over my son so he could shoot the bear, btw it was my son's first bear also. When I said I almost got to shoot the bear the reason I know that is because they have tracking collars on the dogs and they were heading straight for us, Brian handed me a 30-30 and said when the bear comes across the forest road shoot him in the shoulder. The dogs got within 75 yds of me, idk how far ahead the bear was ahead of them, but the bear turn off and started running off at a 45-degree angle from us. Brian said let's go, I could not run from being an old a** who had a bum knee, but Brian and my son took off. When I got to the edge of where the forest road intersected with another forest road I saw the white pickup, hurried as fast as I could that way, I went about 20-30 feet when I heard the shot. I never heard the second shot, idk if they made a second shot, if they did it was muffled from being so close to the bear and the thick timber they were in.
They put the 4 dogs on the tailgate and stitched them up and then in the dog box, their tradition is to leave a dog that dies in the woods where it dies, and took the one to the vet. We drug the bear out, loaded it up on top of the dog box, and then went after more bears. Got 3 total that morning.

It was the first time I ever went bear hunting and I was invited by the man who drug the dog back over my son so he could shoot the bear, btw it was my son's first bear also. When I said I almost got to shoot the bear the reason I know that is because they have tracking collars on the dogs and they were heading straight for us, Brian handed me a 30-30 and said when the bear comes across the forest road shoot him in the shoulder. The dogs got within 75 yds of me, idk how far ahead the bear was ahead of them, but the bear turn off and started running off at a 45-degree angle from us. Brian said let's go, I could not run from being an old a** who had a bum knee, but Brian and my son took off. When I got to the edge of where the forest road intersected with another forest road I saw the white pickup, hurried as fast as I could that way, I went about 20-30 feet when I heard the shot. I never heard the second shot, idk if they made a second shot, if they did it was muffled from being so close to the bear and the thick timber they were in.
They put the 4 dogs on the tailgate and stitched them up and then in the dog box, their tradition is to leave a dog that dies in the woods where it dies, and took the one to the vet. We drug the bear out, loaded it up on top of the dog box, and then went after more bears. Got 3 total that morning.
That sounds wild ! 👍🏻