45-70, 45-90, or 450 Marlin?

Alright. I'm at the point of making a decision before the gun I've had my eye on disappears from the store and is only available through inflated prices on GunBroker.

I'm now torn between a Henry case hardened 45-70 with a 22" octagon barrel and the local Winchester 1886 deluxe case hardened shot show special 45-90.

My complaint on the Henry is the magazine isn't full length and I may prefer a 24" barrel. It doesn't have the tang safety and has a side eject which are both nice. The wood isn't as great as the 1886. And it doesn't have the same unique sex appeal.

My complaint on the 1886 is it is 9.75lbs, I may have a real hard time find dies and brass for the next few months, and to make it shine I have to use BP and then clean like hell. And may never find factory ammo for it. But, if I can't ever find 45-90 goods to shoot it, I could probably sell it for a pretty penny higher than my purchase price and get something else. This beaut is much less practical, but this gun is speaking to me for some reason over any other. Even if I found a true JM 1895cb model.

There are no 1895cb that are for sale at a reasonable price and with a shorter barrel than 26".

😬
To me there would be no question. Buy the 45 90. Load it with smokeless, it will far exceed anything you could do with BP and no cleaning issues. You will get performance in the 45 70 smokeless range but have a unique rifle. Also, as much as I like the Henry it doesn't come remotely close the the cachet of the Winchester. U can resell the Winchester for at least what u pay, the Henry you won't. Buy the Winchester and keep looking for a Marlin. Once you know which u like u can keep both or sell one but both you will get your money back.

Alright. I'm at the point of making a decision before the gun I've had my eye on disappears from the store and is only available through inflated prices on GunBroker.

I'm now torn between a Henry case hardened 45-70 with a 22" octagon barrel and the local Winchester 1886 deluxe case hardened shot show special 45-90.

My complaint on the Henry is the magazine isn't full length and I may prefer a 24" barrel. It doesn't have the tang safety and has a side eject which are both nice. The wood isn't as great as the 1886. And it doesn't have the same unique sex appeal.

My complaint on the 1886 is it is 9.75lbs, I may have a real hard time find dies and brass for the next few months, and to make it shine I have to use BP and then clean like hell. And may never find factory ammo for it. But, if I can't ever find 45-90 goods to shoot it, I could probably sell it for a pretty penny higher than my purchase price and get something else. This beaut is much less practical, but this gun is speaking to me for some reason over any other. Even if I found a true JM 1895cb model.

There are no 1895cb that are for sale at a reasonable price and with a shorter barrel than 26".

😬
My 2cents. Buy the 86. I suspect you can fond 45.90. Reloading will not be difficult. And there arent many sexier guns than an 86. If you dont buy it, please email me and let me know where it is. [email protected].

My 2 cents. Who restored the 45-90 ? Case hardening is tricky and can embrittle the steel. Is the bbl marked Nickel steel ? An original 1886 with original finishes in 85% condition is a 3-5 thousand $ rifle.
If you're comparing it to a Henry that's like comparing a Pinto to a Corvette.
Buyer beware if you are not a Winchester expert.
Where are the pictures of this wonderful 86' and what's the price ? What shot show was it in ? When was it made ? Serial # ?
This is all too vague as you're talking about guns $1000s of dollars apart which makes little sense.
Answers and pics please or "Hmmmmm".

My 2 cents. Who restored the 45-90 ? Case hardening is tricky and can embrittle the steel. Is the bbl marked Nickel steel ? An original 1886 with original finishes in 85% condition is a 3-5 thousand $ rifle.
If you're comparing it to a Henry that's like comparing a Pinto to a Corvette.
Buyer beware if you are not a Winchester expert.
Where are the pictures of this wonderful 86' and what's the price ? What shot show was it in ? When was it made ? Serial # ?
This is all too vague as you're talking about guns $1000s of dollars apart which makes little sense.
Answers and pics please or "Hmmmmm".
Might I suggest you read through the thread. All the info, pictures etc you asked for is already in there. It will make perfect sense once you read through it.

To me there would be no question. Buy the 45 90. Load it with smokeless, it will far exceed anything you could do with BP and no cleaning issues. You will get performance in the 45 70 smokeless range but have a unique rifle. Also, as much as I like the Henry it doesn't come remotely close the the cachet of the Winchester. U can resell the Winchester for at least what u pay, the Henry you won't. Buy the Winchester and keep looking for a Marlin. Once you know which u like u can keep both or sell one but both you will get your money back.

I like that advice!

As far as a gun with cachet, you hit it right on. It's got just the right amount of style for still getting drug into the field.

At some point, I'll probably end up with a short barrel lightweight beater 45-70 just for general use or backpacking.

I'll have to get some pictures up if I pick it up in the next couple of days

I have owned a marlin 1895 GG for about 15 years and is probably my most often carried gun while out and about in Alaska. It's 18" barrel makes it a very easy gun to pack around and the 500 grain bullets I load will make anything stop long enough to add more to it. It does kick, but it's more of a push than a snap. I prefer this over a pistol, as I can get rounds off really fast and accurately at moving targets. I don't have that proficiency with a handgun. I've killed a pretty large brown bear with it. Had one that just wouldn't go away and was really beginning to be a threat ( open season and 2 bear limit in this area) . Hit him quartering on and sat him down on the shot. Second shot ended it. Also shot a pretty big bull moose at about 30 yards quartering on and sat him down also.... then he fell over. Found that bullet against the hide on the opposite hind quarter. It's my favorite just in case Gun in the woods.

"Might I suggest you read through the thread. All the info, pictures etc you asked for is already in there. It will make perfect sense once you read through it."

May I suggest you link me to:
Photos of the 1886
Info on who restored it, bbl steel, serial # etc. ?

Given the vague nature of the OP's knowledge about the gun he intends to buy, this thread is a rabbit hole.

FYI: This is a REAL restored 1886. You could buy 4 Marlins or more for what it cost.

"Might I suggest you read through the thread. All the info, pictures etc you asked for is already in there. It will make perfect sense once you read through it."

Photos of the 1886

Given the vague nature of the OP's knowledge about the gun he intends to buy, this thread is a rabbit hole.

FYI: This is a REAL restored 1886. You could buy 4 Marlins or more for what it cost.

Since your reading comprehension is lacking, this is NOT an original 1886, nor a restored one. If it were it would not be for sale for $1,500. It is the modern reproduction that Winchester is currently making in 45-70 and 45-90. This is the info the OP posted on the gun he is looking at buying. https://www.winchesterguns.com/prod...ts/model-1886-deluxe-rifle-case-hardened.html I trust this will be of adequate assistance.

Photos of the 1886

Yes, Dean is right.

I've been looking at a modern manufacture gun, which I believe was a shot show special in 2016 or 2017. I have found one at a local store that is selling for $1500, where one just sold on GunBroker for $2100 and Cabela's had them listed for $1600 or $1700.

So, it's a dang good deal for a gun that is 95% of what I'm looking for.

If only I could afford a true original from 125 years ago!!

I have owned a marlin 1895 GG for about 15 years and is probably my most often carried gun while out and about in Alaska. It's 18" barrel makes it a very easy gun to pack around and the 500 grain bullets I load will make anything stop long enough to add more to it. It does kick, but it's more of a push than a snap. I prefer this over a pistol, as I can get rounds off really fast and accurately at moving targets. I don't have that proficiency with a handgun. I've killed a pretty large brown bear with it. Had one that just wouldn't go away and was really beginning to be a threat ( open season and 2 bear limit in this area) . Hit him quartering on and sat him down on the shot. Second shot ended it. Also shot a pretty big bull moose at about 30 yards quartering on and sat him down also.... then he fell over. Found that bullet against the hide on the opposite hind quarter. It's my favorite just in case Gun in the woods.

That's great. I'll have to save for a stainless 1895 18" some day

Like it!

Okay OP as long as you are aware the "new" Winchesters have that horrible tang safe and are noted for misfires. Ask me how I know as I had one of the Extra Lights that went off about 80% of the time. After I replaced the innards with 1886 Browning parts and put a tang sight over the hole, it worked fine.

Well I made up my mind

I guess I can just use 45-70 dies for 45-90 cases... Just need to find some cases

Attachments

• IMG_20210311_061346186.jpg
    IMG_20210311_061346186.jpg
    525.8 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_20210311_061123710.jpg
    IMG_20210311_061123710.jpg
    496.3 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20210311_061233665.jpg
    IMG_20210311_061233665.jpg
    466.5 KB · Views: 119