45-70, 45-90, or 450 Marlin?

Shooting smokeless, I'd go with the 45-70. At the ranges it will be used performance in game between the alternatives will be nil, with better brass availability, factory offerings, and more manageable recoil. IMO.

I've got a 45-90 and a 45-70. The 45-90 is a Ruger #1 and the 45-70 is a Marlin. In a lever gun with smokeless the 90 can't really be loaded to gain much over the 70. In the #1 it's pretty much equivalent to a 458 Win in capacity.

If you found a 45-90 you like, Starline makes amazing brass so go forth and have fun!

Thanks for the thoughts!

I have been looking around the internet for a Marlin 1895cb in 45-70... But they're out of stock everywhere and I don't know how much I'd trust the new manufacture models they'll have later this year right off the bat... Kind of like buying a first year car, and Ruger may not continue producing the entire Marlin line.

I'd planned on very likely using Goex OE or Swiss black powder. No risk of over pressure, usually cheaper than smokeless, and apparently this is where the 45-90 (and maybe 45-70) really shines. I'm not worried about having to clean immediately after a shooting session to prevent corrosion. Smokeless loads in the 45-90 require a filler wad in the case.

Just traded a 45-70 cowboy to Cabelas Boise. Picked up a double rifle in 45-70 on the trade. Call Boise since the gun is in excellent condition.

I have a guide gun in 45-70; I shoot cast bullets from Missouri Bullets. You can buy 500 bullets for a pretty reasonable price.

Last edited:
I have a 45-70, about a year old. I have the Taylors Ridgerunner, takedown model (Chiappa 1886). Pretty accurate. The Hornady Leverevolution stuff is accurate as heck, but a little spendy. And reloading for it is limited to the Hornady FTX or similar because of shorter case length. I have mostly loaded coated cast 350 grain RNFP, and it does pretty well out to 100 yards. Haven't shot them much beyond that.

Turnbull makes some nice conversions that are worth looking at. The 50 Alaskan is one that I have looked at off and on for years.

I shoot a Browning High Wall in 45-70 for "primitive" season hunting in Louisiana. [Single shot, exposed hammer and >35 cal rule.] There is nothing primitive about the 45-70 shooting a 400g bullet with 55g of Varget at 1844fps.

I always wanted a 50-110 in rolling block. I knew a person that had one in mint condition. He long since passed on, and it when on to somebody else in the their family that wasn't a hunter either. To bad! Now I am to old to really use it. The one thing is, I have passed down hunting to my sons, and it looks like their kids are going to carry it on too. If I am lucky, I will get to watch my grandson take his first bird and large animal before I pass on.

What do you think a 2006 mfg 1895 45-70 is worth? I found one in the local classifieds for $1000. Pristine and very low round count. Comes with 2 boxes of ammo. 21" barrel. It's not a cb though.

I would stay away from anything that is after 2002 that is not "JM" stamped, that is when the Remington took the company over and "allegedly" the quality control on them was dropped. And....yes a good Marlin 1895 is going to tap the wallet a bit; but......what gun that is on the market not going to cost you today??? I just saw an 1895 Marlin in 45-70, "JM" stamped, 80-85% gun, like 1985 vintage sell on Gun Broker for $876. The stock had been cut and a Decellerator recoil pad professionally installed on the rifle. I "would" not give $1000 for a 2006 1895, it is overpriced.