44 magnum bear hunt

Bearman375

Posted this on the wrong thread. Headed to idaho Sunday for a bear hunt. Shots 50 to 100 yards. Got my 338 jdj lined up. I want to take one or both with my 44 10" ruger super Blackhawk I got it sighted with 240 Winchester JSP and 270 grain cast performance WFN both shoot very close together. Who has used these and what do you guys like? Open to all opinions, thanks

No ideas? 21 grain 296 powder shoot fairly accurate too. I'm using my custom.44

Attachments

• 13C9C2E0-DF16-466C-9820-5F3A7D6944C5.jpeg
    13C9C2E0-DF16-466C-9820-5F3A7D6944C5.jpeg
    350.4 KB · Views: 40
I haven't used either of those particular bullets but I have used a variety of JSPs and JHPs on bears out of 44s with barrels between 3" and 6.5". In my experience, bears aren't that tough and they aren't that wide so I don't think you need the hard cast bullets unless you want to be more likely to have a blood trail. Between the two bullets you have, I would choose the JHP because I think it will do more damage to the lungs.

Posted this on the wrong thread. Headed to idaho Sunday for a bear hunt. Shots 50 to 100 yards. Got my 338 jdj lined up. I want to take one or both with my 44 10" ruger super Blackhawk I got it sighted with 240 Winchester JSP and 270 grain cast performance WFN both shoot very close together. Who has used these and what do you guys like? Open to all opinions, thanks

I only have experience with an 8 3/8" S&W with a 265 grain "homemade" cast, it did as good as you could have asked for…..though, it was a small bear!

She went down immediately at the shot, was trying to gather herself for a run……when I hit her with the second shot. The second shot was totally unnecessary…..but, I didn't know that until the autopsy was performed! memb

1687296812029.jpeg

I haven't used either of those, but I think you should do well. In my 44 wheelguns, I tend to use a couple of my hand cast 255gr and 300gr bullets, and in the 10" and 14" Contenders, I like a 240gr Sierra JSP, a 265gr Hornady or the 300gr cast.

Good luck!

I'd use the 270 hard cast

I haven't used either of those particular bullets but I have used a variety of JSPs and JHPs on bears out of 44s with barrels between 3" and 6.5". In my experience, bears aren't that tough and they aren't that wide so I don't think you need the hard cast bullets unless you want to be more likely to have a blood trail. Between the two bullets you have, I would choose the JHP because I think it will do more damage to the lungs.
I've also read that black bears aren't that tough. I loaded my M29 with 300 gr Federal Castcores when I went to Alaska for last ditch griz protection. A black bear was shot 15 ft in front of our cabin with a 44 mag 240 gr JHP. Wasn't a big one and the JHP did it's job. On larger bears a hardcast with a big, wide metplat would be what I want. All hypothetical on my part.

I've also read that black bears aren't that tough. I loaded my M29 with 300 gr Federal Castcores when I went to Alaska for last ditch griz protection. A black bear was shot 15 ft in front of our cabin with a 44 mag 240 gr JHP. Wasn't a big one and the JHP did it's job. On larger bears a hardcast with a big, wide metplat would be what I want. All hypothetical on my part.

No they're not that tough, nor is most any other animal until wounded/injured…..then they're a totally different animal.

I witnessed a medium sized Black Bear take a less than perfect hit….once the adrenaline kicked-in absorbed two more good hits before "cashing in"!

True they aren't a Grizzly or a Brown…..but, should be respected! 😉. memtb

No they're not that tough, nor is most any other animal until wounded/injured…..then they're a totally different animal.

I witnessed a medium sized Black Bear take a less than perfect hit….once the adrenaline kicked-in absorbed two more good hits before "cashing in"!

I agree. I've also read when wounded the black bears tend to "backtrack" whoever wounded them. I don't care to find out lol.

If I were too concerned about getting mauled, I wouldn't be using a revolver in the first place…

If I were too concerned about getting mauled, I wouldn't be using a revolver in the first place…
Lots of folks use revolvers when bear hunting, even the big bears! Concern shouldn't be the issue…..but awareness should be. There are revolver cartridges that are much more capable as a "stopping round" than many of the hunting rifles used every season for "herbivores"! 😉 memtb