44 magnum bear hunt

If I were too concerned about getting mauled, I wouldn't be using a revolver in the first place…

Lots of folks use revolvers when bear hunting, even the big bears! Concern shouldn't be the issue…..but awareness should be. There are revolver cartridges that are much more capable as a "stopping round" than many of the hunting rifles used every season for "herbivores"! 😉 memtb
When hunting bears or in bear country I carry a backup sidearm. I ended up giving my M29 44 mag to a very good friend. Since I probably won't be going back to Alaska I'd carry my M686 4" or G23 40 S&W. Either one appropriately loaded. The rifle is my primary, but I got tired of taking a dump with a rifle laying across my lap ;)

The average Idaho bear is nothing like the average Ak bear or some of those tanks back east.You have more than enough with either.My son shoot one with a 40 on a day hike.Theres the rare larger type that get some size around here.

This is a story written many years ago, I read the original story. It's a pretty good read about handguns, rifles, bullets and motivated bears!

This was not a Black Bear, and obviously the handgun bullets used were certainly not the best jacketed handgun bullets for this particular scenario! The bullets mentioned by Varmint Hunter would be a much better choice.

If my old memory is accurate, he was carrying the JHP's to kill a deer for camp meat…….not to shoot his bear! He used a cast bullet for his one shot kill on his bear. This was a bear unaware of their presence, and a properly placed heavy, cast bullet was quite effective! With an adrenaline charged bear….the results would have likely been far different, probably similar to the cabin encounter! I wish that I could get the entire story as told by Larry Kelly……this is the best that I could do. But, it relates pretty well to the story as I recall it! memtb

When hunting bears or in bear country I carry a backup sidearm. I ended up giving my M29 44 mag to a very good friend. Since I probably won't be going back to Alaska I'd carry my M686 4" or G23 40 S&W. Either one appropriately loaded. The rifle is my primary, but I got tired of taking a dump with a rifle laying across my lap ;)

At one time I carried both….for me, it was impractical! It added unnecessary weight for hunting in rough country! Besides, if I'm rifle hunting the rifle is in my hands……so the handgun is essentially useless, unnecessary weight! If handgun hunting……now the rifle is essentially useless, unnecessary weight!

Now if I'm tent camp hunting…..a handgun is pretty sweet thing to have in the close confines of a tent! 😉😁 memtb

Local warden, releasing grizzly and it pulled cage out of truck and he road it down on to bear.Empting his 357 on said, dead grizzly.Mentioned on here before article in hungry horse newspaper I believe

At one time I carried both….for me, it was impractical! It added unnecessary weight for hunting in rough country! Besides, if I'm rifle hunting the rifle is in my hands……so the handgun is essentially useless, unnecessary weight! If handgun hunting……now the rifle is essentially useless, unnecessary weight!

Now if I'm tent camp hunting…..a handgun is pretty sweet thing to have in the close confines of a tent! 😉😁 memtb
Well the Alaska hunt was twenty six years ago now that I think of it lol. I carry everyday these days, times have changed. Most of my hunting is roadside varmints now due to family responsibilities. Some light hiking with two rifles or a handgun and rifle. Rough country hunts might be a thing of the past for me now. Not sure the legs could handle it lol.

I was blowing a predator call, trying to entice another bear to get closer, when this 6' Idaho bear came in. He was running straight at me, expecting a meal, when I shot him at lawn dart throwing range. The first shot turned him and I finished him with a couple more before he got out of view. This was with JSPs or JHPs. Perhaps a hard cast bullet would have taken him down with one shot.

Today, if I were to choose one bullet for everything, I would go with Swift A-Frames, as was suggested by @Varmint Hunter. I don't have any experience with it out of a revolver but I was sure impressed with its performance out of a muzzleloader on a bull elk. I do load Swift A-Frames in my 460 S&W but I have not shot anything with that revolver yet.

IMG_9839.jpeg

Well the Alaska hunt was twenty six years ago now that I think of it lol. I carry everyday these days, times have changed. Most of my hunting is roadside varmints now due to family responsibilities. Some light hiking with two rifles or a handgun and rifle. Rough country hunts might be a thing of the past for me now. Not sure the legs could handle it lol.

I totally understand……I ain't making the hunts like I used to. And, my hunting partner (wife) is having knee and foot problems…..so our cross-country hunts have pretty much ended! memtb

I was blowing a predator call, trying to entice another bear to get closer, when this 6' Idaho bear came in. He was running straight at me, expecting a meal, when I shot him at lawn dart throwing range. The first shot turned him and I finished him with a couple more before he got out of view. This was with JSPs or JHPs. Perhaps a hard cast bullet would have taken him down with one shot.

Today, if I were to choose one bullet for everything, I would go with Swift A-Frames, as was suggested by @Varmint Hunter. I don't have any experience with it out of a revolver but I was sure impressed with its performance out of a muzzleloader on a bull elk. I do load Swift A-Frames in my 460 S&W but I have not shot anything with that revolver yet.

View attachment 471878

I've got a great load (400 grain, cast @ near 1600 mv) for my 460….but like yourself, I've not taken anything with it yet! The past several seasons has been pretty minimal hunting! 🤬

Oh, by the way…..real nice bear! 👍 memtb

I called this dude in from 400 yards and shot him at 30 ft with my 338 JDJ and 200 grain ballistic tip. That's my best one with my hand cannon. Probably at least a dozen more. He was 6'1" and 19 12/16" skull. Like I say I just wanted some additional input on a 44 mag load

Attachments

• 7840EB33-312D-4037-818B-4649AF55382D.jpeg
    7840EB33-312D-4037-818B-4649AF55382D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 38
Bearman375, darn good look'n bear!

I always wanted a 375 JDJ barrel for my Contender, and actually, for a brief period of time, had one. It is a sweet cartridge, and I really enjoyed shooting my uncle's! But, I more of a revolver guy and when I found my 460 S&W, I sold the JDJ!