44 Magnum S&W 629

Freebore

New to handgun hunting and just picked up a nice S&W 629 8 3/8" barrel scoped w/ a 2x6. I would like to use this for whitetails and I'm looking to find info on an accurate hunting load for this particular pistol out to 200 (with lots of practice first).
I have 300 240gr HP Speers on hand and new bag of Win brass CCI mag primers H4227, H110, Lil'gun powder on hand. Any help or info regarding this handgun would be appreciated.

freebore:
It has been a long time since I've done any reloading for my 44mag. I have the same revolver that yo have. My pet load was a 210grain Sierra JHC launched with H110. Sorry I can't remember the exact load. I just remember that H110 gave me the best velocities.

I felt good shooting 50+ yards with it. You have fun getting out to 200!

Two pieces of advice being as I have just started down this same trail.

1. Trail Boss is a great powder for reduced loads and practicing with cheap plated cowboy action type bullets.

2. Winchester makes some good pistol powder, don't ignore it just because you have never tried it.

I have a SW 29 - 8-3/8 , love it. I prefer a shoulder holster for carry. I generally shoot a 240 gr jhp, Win. 296 about 1100 '/s. Its easier on the gun for target. I don't why I've never shot a deer with it. I did shoot one with my TC 44. It did an excellent job about 100 yds. I believe red dot sights are the wayto go for hunting. lightbulb Happy hunting.

My experience with 44s would lead me to pass along advice to use H110. Approach load book maximums with caution. Long term durability of non-DX model S&W revolvers becomes an issue with max. loads. Avoid Little Gun powder as it tends to be more abrasive to forcing cones. I have shot two model 29 revolvers loose with accurate loads that were within recommended ranges.

200 yard deer hunting with a 44 mag may be a bit ambitious unless you can shoot from a bench rest. It will take a lot of practice as you stated. Knowing the exact yardage to your target and knowing where your bullet will be at that yardage is key because past 50 or so yards a bullet from a 44 mag starts dropping like a rock. It has been a loooog time since I did any hunting with a 44 mag and then I limited my shooting to 100 yards with open sights. The old Elmer Keith load of 21 to 22 grs 2400 and a 250 gr Keith type SWC did a pretty good job in both my Ruger Red Hawk and Black Hawk with 7 1/2" barrels.

As RT noted, getting out to 200 will be a trick unless you get the deer to hold still while you adjust your scope. :D

I set up a 629 Comp for my Dad last fall and installed an UltraDot red dot sight on it. I played and played with ballistics programs and data, and no matter what you do or how you sight it in, getting beyond 120-130 yards WILL require you to adjust the reticle. In the end I have it right on at 100 yards, and after that it just drops like a rock. Even sighting it in at 125 or so doesn't help much. FYI I was using the Hornady LEVERevolution with the FTX bullets - about the best BC you're going to find for a 44 Mag.

Also note that your energy drops significantly out there. Again, 120-130 yards is probably the max.

The group at 100 yards is incredible. Blew away all the other guys at the range - they couldn't believe I was shooting a 44 Mag pistol at 100 yards and how small the group was. My own 629 is not much different.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.