416 REMINGTON MAGNUM

Barnes416

Does anyone have experience hunting long range with the 416 Rem Mag.? It can send a 350gr bullet at 2700fps (84gr of IMR 4064). The BarnesX .416 350gr has a BC of .521!
It should do a great job. What would be the max range to safely take North American game?

I worked up a nice load with Speer 350-grain Mag Tips that was flat out to 265 yards using BL(C)-2. If you follow the data in Barnes' manual, you should come up with something you're happy with. I'm not sure how "long" you mean by a long-range load for your .416 Remington Magnum but, if you use a scope like the Burris Black Diamond or Fullfield II, I see no reason you couldn't successfully extend your range -- providing the "X" bullets will shoot in your rifle. Some guns love them, some guns hate them. I've personally experienced both. You just have to try them out and see how they shoot, just like any other bullet.

Russ

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.