.416 Barrett Conversion

SaulReichman

Do you think it is possible to do a barrel swap on a McMillan Tac-50 so that it shoots the .416 Barrett? I know that you can do this on Barrett rifles so that you can switch between .50BMG and the .416 so I would assume that it would be possible for the McMillan. Anyone have any insights on this?

Do you think it is possible to do a barrel swap on a McMillan Tac-50 so that it shoots the .416 Barrett? I know that you can do this on Barrett rifles so that you can switch between .50BMG and the .416 so I would assume that it would be possible for the McMillan. Anyone have any insights on this?

It is a bolt action , so it is possible with a barrel swap. the bolt face should be the same so it could be used if the 416 was head spaced with the same bolt. It could also be done using a barrel nut type of assembly to set the head space each time you switched barrels.

It would require that you have a head space go gauge for each cartridge, and a new barrel in 416 dia. and also a 416 barret reamer and dies.

The barrel nut would have to be designed, But thats not diffacult.

J E CUSTOM

I see no hard requirement for a barrel nut - yes, I read the "could". [I'd look real hard at what might need to be done to the rifle to accept a barrel nut setup - ask McMillan, who, I believe use to offer a .416 Barrett chambering and may even have some "old" barrels.] A new barrel, preferably threaded for the same brake that is on the .50 barrel (or get a second one and avoid swapping), chambered and fitted with Go and No-Go gauges (I prefer having both = yes, for both cartridges), and a simple, deep, scribe mark on each barrel matching a corresponding mark on the action (one mark on the action) and you should be gtg. Unless you have a need for the reamer, the smith might provide it - or get one and use it on future barrels. Dies are available and good brass is now also available (the RWS direct from Barrett - ask for it while you are seated - super expensive). Enjoy.

I would assume that the magazine would have to be replaced in order to chamber the shorter cartridge and I have not seen anyone make one for the McMillan. Barrett does for their guns though.

I would assume that the magazine would have to be replaced in order to chamber the shorter cartridge and I have not seen anyone make one for the McMillan. Barrett does for their guns though.

Normally the same magazine is used with a filler added to the rear of the mag to position the cartridge in the same general location of the case shoulder. You may have to modify the mag spring and the follower though.

Or you can add a ridge to the mag where the shoulder would hit that would hold the cartridge in place.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.