408 Chey-Tac?

Thanks All, kind of what I figured.

I would like to build one of these 408's, but I would like to seperate the B.S. from the truth befor I get started. I had a not so good expireance with A-square in the mid 90's and would like to avoid those kind of mistakes in the future. I have two LR-rifles an 06 with a Lilja, the 338 A-square, and now looking at the 408.

Thanks Again
Brian
Anchorage, Alaska

McCall,

What do you want to know? I can pretty much give you the skinny on the 408's and thier wildcats. My name pretty much says it all.

The 408 is a power house, bullet selection is the biggest draw back. Wildcat bullets was supose to start making a leadcore ULD, but he cant get the dies in. Lost River and Barnes makes solids for it, Barnes being a bit more accurate. The Lost River bullets are more for ranges past 1200yds. They will hold 1moa or less. 419gr bullets at speeds around 2850fps. 29" bbl is the minimum length to use with 32" optimum. Barrel life is real good on these, 2000 rounds or more. Re-25 is the powder of choice. I have taken some Barnes .416 cal X bullets and turned them to .408 cal, they came out 390grns, shoot very good up too 800yds, the BC isnt all that great but a devistating hunting bullet.

From there you can improve the case, put on a 35 or 40 deg shoulder and take out some of the case taper, increase the case capacity and use slower burning powders. Speeds will jump up to around 3100 or more.

The 408 case takes a special action and bbl size, there are several makers now doing custom actions, Lawton, BAT and others.

There are lots of wildcats becoming available on the 408 parent case, 338, 375, 416, 458 and 510 cals. The 338 is the most popular at this time due to the good long range bullets available. The 300 Sierra MK is the most popular, 250gn bullets are hovering on too light for the case size.

The only disadvantages i see are the lack of bullet selection for the 408 cal.

I'm working on several new wildcats from this case right now, 375 and 458 cals, The 458 will be a real thumper, it will be built around the Wildcat bullets. The 510 version is a real hammer, perfect for dangerous game and long range hunting, using the 750 Amax bullets.

Any other questions drop my an email

Dave

Hay Dave thanks for the info and nice to meet ya.

I have shoot the 300 smk's in my A-square @ paper but no blood yet. I will work on that this year, I have to get a NightForce for it first. I pulled the scope on it and placed it on the 06. Stan Jackson here in Anchorage did all of the squareing up of the model 70 action. It shoots quit well. I am currently waiting for the Lilja barrel to arrive. I am working on building this rifle for 600 to 650yds. The 168 Bergers worked great with the original barrel.

Thanks Again I'll keep in touch, as the build progresses.
Brian

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.