.375 Verney Carron

.358 NM

The French designed a very few years ago this great cartridge which is rimmed and rimless. The Rimmed one is based on the .450 3.25 inch case full lenght, necked in and given a different shoulder. This coupled with a strong mechanishm. gives the double rifle a round similar to the .378 Weatherby in energy and that is just wow .

The double rifle is now a rifle for little bit longer ranges and not just close up as it has been earlier . For the big ggame hunter in close areas, one can get more energy needed in a brink of an second adrenaline filled moment also. Precision is good, and Swift Aframe bullets is some of the best for it .

I think i will get a barrel for my Ruger nr 1 in it later if the economy comes better for me . One interesting round to try out .
http://www.verney-carron.com/pdf/DE-luxe-2011-L_Atelier_Verney-Carron.pdf

The Verney Carron catalog is showing pure luxury, and it hurts (positively) watching it. :) It's not good being confronted with such, because I'm developing greed ... :D
The cartridges (.375 VC ) look extremely impressive. 7100 joule energy at the muzzle is kind of perverse. The original 375 H & H Mag is nothing but a cuddle cat compared to its french rival.

Both the .375 R VC, rimmed version, and the 375 VC, rimless version, have no parent case. Messner designed a completely new case for the VC cartridges. The case - head dimensions should correspond to the traditional .375 H&H (flanged). 73mm case length or ca. 2,87', and a new designed shoulder with 58*. The case of the rimmed version takes impressive 126gr H2O ... :D
A 300gr Barnes TSX will be accelerated to 855 m/s MV or 2805 fps with no effort, 21' bbl. Most astonishingly is that the .375 R VC is not more recoiling than the original .375 H&H due to its totally new and superior case design.
It is no problem to chamber older doubles from original .375 H&H (flanged) into .375 R VC, but due to much higher performance will there be a significant challenge getting the barrels regulated again.

Regulating a barrel is not so difficult, depending on the existing matter one is working with . it can be sometimes easy other time more time delaying. But it takes the right knowledge of the materials used and when to stop and try . A vice is most common used , and it get easy , but it is lot of handwork used still. With the various barrel diameters used and earlier steel qualitys used in very early rifles. Seeing how time changes steel if not properly taken care of , that is one thing to consider a VC double as i remeber , one other thing the .375 H&H has not got so much of compared t VC is camber pressure and that is way of the tri lug lock mechanism.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.