375 ruger to 30/375 s.i.

Thanks, I would have thought much longer. That's really moving a 230. 28" barrel you said on that one though I think.

Thanks again.......Jace

I am out of town right now so I don't have that info but I THINK it is around 2.7? I know I shot some at 3170 with RL33 though............Rich

That seems short. Unless i am missing something. I thought the case itself was around 2.58? I would have thought you would be close to 3.6 or 3.7 inches if you had the long 230 berger. The COAL for the 375 ruger is the same as a 30-06 3.340...

I might be missing something though!

That seems short. Unless i am missing something. I thought the case itself was around 2.58? I would have thought you would be close to 3.6 or 3.7 inches if you had the long 230 berger. The COAL for the 375 ruger is the same as a 30-06 3.340...

I might be missing something though!

What is missing is my old brain!:D I meant 3.7 not 2.7..............Rich

Hey rich, what would be the shortest barrel length youd go for this cartridge? 26" would be max for me, had longer and hated it, would a 24 be to short to make use of this round?

I'm shooting the HBN coated 215s at 3,050fps MV out of a 26" barrel. With Hornady brass, I'm running pressures that will leave plunger marks on the case heads, but only infrequently (maybe 1 out of 10 shots fired). I'm measuring case head expansion with each shot fired also using my calipers. In other words, I'm running pretty close to what most would consider maximum pressures.

This with a 4-groove Krieger melonited barrel, 215gr HBN coated bullets, RL-33 powder, and Federal 215 primers. 87.6gr RL-33 with the bullets jammed about 0.010" into the lands. I'm at about 100% capacity with this powder charge. More powder would compress the powder while seating bullets.

I could up the pressures further but case life would go down. Nosler also makes .375 Ruger cases. They may be tougher than the Hornady brass. I've been too miserly to purchase them... :)

Spend $5,000 on a rifle and refuse to purchase cases @ $2.50 each. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Hmm seem quite a bit different than Rich's 28in barrel.

MV was less prior to meloniting my barrel. 3,075 fps is the fastest I've shot these bullets, but case head enlargement was excessive at those pressures.

Same chamber reamer as Rich's. Different barrel, of course. And mine is 26" versus Rich's 28" barrel.

I can't remember what the charge was with RL33 but it turned up 3200' with a 215. I am away from home, but I want to say it was 88 grs.? I do know it was ALL I could compress. I run 80 of H1000 at around 3010' for my hunting load. I think RL26 would work and I am pretty sure N570 would be good as well. I have not played with the 30 much lately as I have too many others to test:D

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts