375/08 vs 375 raptor

Clean up meaning have enough meat in the camber area to remove for the new chamber cut. Looking at some archived photos if a 308 next to a 375 raptor it would need to be set back a bit, but might work on some other donor options.

Kinda surprised, followed my saved tabs and even omega rifles who were ankle deep head fist in raptor have wiped their sight of it. Wonder if some outfit bought rights to launch a version of it or something. Never seen so much continuity in info disappearing.

FYI ch4d has 375-308 dies listed as special order for $116, dunno the current lead.

Would be happy getting over 3k ft lbds in a short rifle.

Clean up meaning have enough meat in the camber area to remove for the new chamber cut. Looking at some archived photos if a 308 next to a 375 raptor it would need to be set back a bit, but might work on some other donor options.

Kinda surprised, followed my saved tabs and even omega rifles who were ankle deep head fist in raptor have wiped their sight of it. Wonder if some outfit bought rights to launch a version of it or something. Never seen so much continuity in info disappearing.

FYI ch4d has 375-308 dies listed as special order for $116, dunno the current lead.

Would be happy getting over 3k ft lbds in a short rifle.

There is some support for the Raptor out there.

I am not sure whats going on with Omega rifles; however, Paul at Maker Bullets looks to be on board with the raptor. He has a couple of bullets made just for it.

TNT munitions has been making some loaded ammo. (I wish they loaded the rounds a little hotter, but I am sure they want to careful.)

Aitken Arms is making subsonic ammo for the 8.6BLK and the 375 Raptor, with plans to maybe do supersonic rounds. I think he is even getting headstamped brass.

I heard SWS rifles out of Stafford, TX had some 375 Raptor LEE dies on hand still. CH4D is another option for dies, but they are a while out from making any more.

I got my headspace gauges from PT&G.

I believe Scott Medesha plans to keep making case gauges for the Raptor.

For barrels, there is xcalibur, mos-tek, and I have heard maybe BSF has chambered a barrel in 375 Raptor. (Mine is a Mos-Tek Barrel)

Aitken's 375 Raptor Subs below.

1697785168591.png

Last edited:
There is some support for the Raptor out there.

I am not sure whats going on with Omega rifles; however, Paul at Maker Bullets looks to be on board with the raptor. He has a couple of bullets made just for it.

TNT munitions has been making some loaded ammo. (I wish they loaded the rounds a little hotter, but I am sure they want to careful.)

Aitken Arms is making subsonic ammo for the 8.6BLK and the 375 Raptor, with plans to maybe do supersonic rounds. I think he is even getting headstamped brass.

I heard SWS rifles out of Stafford, TX had some 375 Raptor LEE dies on hand still. CH4D is another option for dies, but they are a while out from making any more.

I got my headspace gauges from PT&G.

I believe Scott Medesha plans to keep making case gauges for the Raptor.

For barrels, there is xcalibur, mos-tek, and I have heard maybe BSF has chambered a barrel in 375 Raptor. (Mine is a Mos-Tek Barrel)

Aitken's 375 Raptor Subs below.

View attachment 503401
I called up SWS At the beginning of the week and purchased their last set of raptor dies for $120 delivered, so at least those are on the way. I read on another forum that the ch4d dies that person had ordered in late 2022 were estimated to be produced by December of 2024, which is a wild lead time. I don't know if that's changed yet at all.

I didn't consider that it may be problematic to alter the .308 chamber to a .375 raptor due to the shorter case length. I'll have to look into that. One of my goals for this rifle was to take the rem700 sps .308 that my dad gave me when I was 18 (and that's seen thousands of rounds and is pretty well done) and breathe new life into it. That big heavy barrel seemed like the perfect candidate for a big re-bore. Shed some weight off the thing while also making it usable again.

I had planned on buying TNT supers to break in the raptor and get some formed brass but they've been out of stock for a good while. I assumed they'd stopped production like everyone else seems to have, but I'll keep an eye in case they do put some up. If not, I have a metric truckload of 7.62x51 brass that I no longer have a need for so I may make a winter project out of converting brass.

I'm not a gunsmith, but I suppose the chamber could be moved forward a bit. You would have to cut some more threads and shorten the back of the new chamber.

That would be a question for your gunsmith, I guess.

You may already know this, but 358 win brass can be used to form brass. Through the die once, then trim. ( I should stop saying this, so I can hog the 358 brass to myself)

300 savage brass can be used, as well, and may not even need trimmed.

I'm not a gunsmith, but I suppose the chamber could be moved forward a bit. You would have to cut some more threads and shorten the back of the new chamber.

That would be a question for your gunsmith, I guess.

You may already know this, but 358 win brass can be used to form brass. Through the die once, then trim. ( I should stop saying this, so I can hog the 358 brass to myself)

300 savage brass can be used, as well, and may not even need trimmed.
I had heard that 358 was the easiest to convert. And probably smart so that it has its own head stamp (since I don't own a 358). I hadn't heard about using 300 savage brass though. I'll have to look into that

Holy crap lol. That's a good number!

I ended up going with a 375/308 so the 375 raptor cases will be too short for my use.

I'd be in for 1000 of the headstamped .375 starline brass! Beats the heck out of converting .308 and .358 cases. I've had .358 cases on backorder with starline for a long time.

How is the Jamison brass? I've been using starline brass exclusively with the exception of using Lapua for my precision rifles for quite some time and the starline seems to be super consistent.
I haven't used it yet, but research shows that it's pretty good quality. I just ordered it yesterday to size up to 375

It sounds like there might be some raptor brass in the works (without buying 5000 cases). Hopefully in quantities of 100 or so.

I should know more soon.

Speaking of 358 win brass, I was converting some last night, and it's pretty easy. I need a little chop saw to make trimming go faster.

It sounds like there might be some raptor brass in the works (without buying 5000 cases). Hopefully in quantities of 100 or so.

I should know more soon.

Speaking of 358 win brass, I was converting some last night, and it's pretty easy. I need a little chop saw to make trimming go faster.
What dies are you using? How many steps between 358 and 375?

I have both Lee and CH4D dies.

The lee die doesn't seem to form the shoulder back far enough when I check it with my case gauge. Like maybe 1 or 2 thousandth short. This could be tolerance stacking or something. I need to try a different shell holder.

Anyway, my main die is the CH4D.

Lightly lube 358 case with imperial sizing wax. Run through the 375 Raptor FL die once, then clean off lube. (So one step from 358 to 375)

Check headspace with case gauge (usually perfect with the CH4D die).

Then trim til perfect according to case gauge.

I have heard of guys going from 308 straight to 375, but I assume that was new brass. Once-fired brass might be harder and prone to cracks.