375 vs 338

Bruce

Answering your question would be like comparing a Ford to a Chevy truck! They each have their own following!

I have both and I like both. If I had to choose, I am not sure I could choose one over the other.

I have 6 338's and one 375 if that helps.

Neal

Bruce

I think I would take it to a GOOD smith and have him scope the throat. It may only need a barrel setback and or crown.

No idea what you have for numbers as far as rounds through the bore. No idea what you need for accuracy. If you want a bugholer and this one was shooting tiny little groups I would explore the cheaper setback options.

Neal

my rifle is a rem sendero, I would est total rounds over 1000. the rifle used to shoot 3/8" groups at 100 yds, the best it does now is about 1 1/2" with the same load. it has shot 3 shot groups of 3" at 1000 yds {sierra 300 mk} and that is what I expect, so I want the best barrel I can get. I use the rifle for long range hunting and 700- 800 yds its still pretty good. sierra does make a 350 mk in 375 cal and from what I have read the 375 rum will get 2800 fps with them.

Have you tried cleaning it properly - like with JB or a copper remover, or both?

Have you measured how the throat has moved and adjusted seating depth at all to allow for that? You refer to "the same load". Adjusting AOL may get it back.

Just my 2c...

Assuming you have already done what LRHWAL has suggested. I bore scoping of the barrel is something that will tell the story. I use to have a couple of great shooting Remington barrels that lost accuracy with far less than a thousand rounds. DOing hardness test in several spots on the barrels
I found the hardness at around 15R which is nearly half of what it should be.
It also fluctuated by 5R. SInce I haven't bought a factory anything for 20 years except for actions, I do not know much about current models or quality.

I can't live with the kind of accuracy you are describing either and would take measures during the off season to rectify the accuracy issue.

Neal

anyone use a 375 cal rifle for long range hunting and what bullet? how does the wind drift compare to the 338 cal?
Yeah, somewhat long-range many years ago, at that time the only bullet readily available to do it was Sierra 300gr SP BT that would reliable carry the energy, I think it was moving at little over 2600 FPS in my rifle which gave it something over 1600 FPE at 600 yards, and yes it was quite easy to connect at that range. I used an older now; Whitworth Mark X at the time an amazingly accurate rifle. I think about 600 yards or so yards the .300gr in the 375 H&H stays in the game, but let's face it... the B.C & Vel's are most likely in favor of the .338 when going out there deep. Just my 0.2 Cheers