375 ultra mag

Those are beautiful rounds man! I'm assuming you have to single feed them? Or have you found a trick to making a 4.100" round feed
Thanks! I have really enjoyed load development and shooting this bullet. Yes, I shoot these single feed. For the type of hunting I'll be doing for this rig, Single feed works fine for me.

so I'm thinking of moving to a 375 rum to shoot mile+ I don't know a hell of a lot about the cartridge am I pushing *Rule 4 Violation* up hill or can it be done with the right projectile combo etc

Cheers
Lucas

Here is my 375 RUM AI Build. It will be my 4th build in two years... let me know if you have any questions...

Specifications: Build by: area318.com

Action: REM 700 RUM blueprinted (fluted bolt and upgraded bolt handle), M16 Sako Extractor
Geisselle 2 Stage Trigger at 1.1 lbs.
Barrel: 29" Benchmark M24 Contour Barrel (Spiral Flutes) with #4 Terminator Brake
BUGNUT Barrel cut for REMAGE Threaded Barrel - Yes, a Switch-barrel as I have this already in 338-340 (modified 340 Wby Mag).
Stock: Manners T4A in Swamp Camo 14.25 LOP
Mini-Chassis v. full bed with 3.850" CIP Magazine Chassis and AI Mags.
8-40" screws for Seekins Precision 20 MOA Base
Seekins Precision Rings
Optics: March, Schmidt-Bender PM II or Leupold 5HD

Not making for a "cheap" ELR rather a LR/ELR Hunter and weight is NOT an issue with me nor is the length as I have fixed stands and horseback so weight of a Long Range Hunting Rifle is of very little concern to me.

I do however want suggestions for optics given this build because this seems to be my hold up as I really cannot decide. What I do know is that this is not a Safari short 22 or 24" Dangerous Game Gun now given the horsepower I put behind the build so premium long range optics suggestions are open to discussion.

The build is 75% complete.

Thank you all!

CBJ

Here is my 375 RUM AI Build. It will be my 4th build in two years... let me know if you have any questions...

Specifications: Build by: area318.com

Action: REM 700 RUM blueprinted (fluted bolt and upgraded bolt handle), M16 Sako Extractor
Geisselle 2 Stage Trigger at 1.1 lbs.
Barrel: 29" Benchmark M24 Contour Barrel (Spiral Flutes) with #4 Terminator Brake
BUGNUT Barrel cut for REMAGE Threaded Barrel - Yes, a Switch-barrel as I have this already in 338-340 (modified 340 Wby Mag).
Stock: Manners T4A in Swamp Camo 14.25 LOP
Mini-Chassis v. full bed with 3.850" CIP Magazine Chassis and AI Mags.
8-40" screws for Seekins Precision 20 MOA Base
Seekins Precision Rings
Optics: March, Schmidt-Bender PM II or Leupold 5HD

Not making for a "cheap" ELR rather a LR/ELR Hunter and weight is NOT an issue with me nor is the length as I have fixed stands and horseback so weight of a Long Range Hunting Rifle is of very little concern to me.

I do however want suggestions for optics given this build because this seems to be my hold up as I really cannot decide. What I do know is that this is not a Safari short 22 or 24" Dangerous Game Gun now given the horsepower I put behind the build so premium long range optics suggestions are open to discussion.

The build is 75% complete.

Thank you all!

CBJ
What projectile and what velocity are you expecting to see?

I have used 350 gr. 375 and 400 gr. CEBs.... I am getting 3,055 fps with Sierra 350s now with 26" barrel. This build will be a 29" Benchmark M24 barrel and not looking to hit much pass 3,080 fps in my testing. 375 RUM AI is a great caliber it is no 37XC, so my expectations are reasonable based on prior builds.

Co
I have used 350 gr. 375 and 400 gr. CEBs.... I am getting 3,055 fps with Sierra 350s now with 26" barrel. This build will be a 29" Benchmark M24 barrel and not looking to hit much pass 3,080 fps in my testing. 375 RUM AI is a great caliber it is no 37XC, so my expectations are reasonable based on prior builds.
could you tell me what the AI difference is? Who makes brass for it?

Simply Ackley Improved. Fire form full load of your 375 RUM for a sharp shoulder. Get custom dies by sending in your cases or drawings to a good die maker (we have several 375 RUM AI die sets). Do not do RUM AI unless you are prepared for the expense of custom dies. If I were to do it all over again I would have stayed with the 375 RUM and or built a 37XC. It is why I lowered my expectations in the build. 375 RUM and 375 AI will make a fine ELR Hunter and budget ELR weapon but a competitor for Kof2Mi it is not going to get close.

Simply Ackley Improved. Fire form full load of your 375 RUM for a sharp shoulder. Get custom dies by sending in your cases or drawings to a good die maker (we have several 375 RUM AI die sets). Do not do RUM AI unless you are prepared for the expense of custom dies. If I were to do it all over again I would have stayed with the 375 RUM and or built a 37XC. It is why I lowered my expectations in the build. 375 RUM and 375 AI will make a fine ELR Hunter and budget ELR weapon but a competitor for Kof2Mi it is not going to get close.
I'm going to stick with the RUM +p chambering. I believe I can get 2800+ out of the 350 smk and that's more than enough for me

Agreed. Not even pushing my 26" 375 RUM I was getting 2,990 fps with 350 Sierra's. Bumped up my load to 105.5 grains Magnum Powder, Fed 215 Gold Match Primers.

Last edited: