375 ultra experience

Tikkamike

As some of you know I was going to rebarrel my 300 ultra to a 375 ultra but then I found a smoking deal on a lss in 375 ultra and decided to buy that and play with it instead of building one maybe save a few $$. I bought a 375 ultra years back when they first came out in the XCR and after a series of events including a botched brake installation and a cracked stock I decided to part ways with it. So here is what I have now.
700 LSS in 375 Rum I have a CSR brake ready to be installed, a timney trigger for it and a HS stock on the way. It is getting a TPS rail with XTR rings and a zeiss rapid z 800, this is going to be the rifle I pack for elk hunting when I plan to walk a lot instead of packing my 12 lb 338.
I have some brass, dies and 270gr. TSX on the way for it. I believe it should be a elk Thumper! Just wondering what any of you who have a 375 ultra use it for and what bullets you shoot? I hear 375's are inherently accurate, is that your experience also? The one I had before shot pretty decent (under 1 inch with factory rounds) but I never got a chance to play with it much. Basically if you have anything at all to say about the cartridge I want to hear it. there isn't a ton of talk about it on here from what I have seen.

Last edited:
I have one on a Savage Action. With a Benchmark barrel, everything I shoot through it shoots extremely well.

Everything hit with the 260gr Accubond drops without discussion. The cartridge combo was used recently with a heart shot @ 200 yards on a large Bison. The colapse was graphic.

Neal

A lot of the big calibers shoot incredibly accurate and the .375's are no exception. I usually shoot 260 AB's in mine. They just flat hammer elk.

When I tested the wildcat version in 1999 it was an excellent shooter and a buddy carried it elk hunting. I don't think I ever got that rifle back after he shot a couple elk with it. It was very accurate and carried quite a bit of punch to the elk.

By the way I just got back and missed deer season. Guess I need to find a late whitetail unit somewhere to use my general tag.

I dont know if anything is still open for bucks or not but you can still use it for does over here in 124

as for the 375, I am thinking itll be a fun elk rifle. I have come to the realization that all the great things said about the 300 SMK dont jive with what I look for in a bullet. I have not had it fail yet due to its weight, but it leaves some to be desired. I am going to continue to shoot it I think in my lapua but for a no nonsence elk hunt the 375 with tsx is probably going to be my first choice if it shoots good

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.