375 RUM progress with 350SMK

deadlift

Official LRH Sponsor
Hey Everyone,
First an foremost, Merry Christmas!! :)
I've had a couple guys asking for updates on my 375 RUM project, so here we go.
I used a Mirage chassis, Defiance hunter Deviant, our 1" Miller break, a Jewell trigger and a Sierra S7 bipod.
The barrel is our 10 twist 5groove finishing 28" in a heavy palma profile and a skip flute pattern.
I had a proofing group of .33 for 4 shots but lost it. This rifle really likes the 350 smk which is great cause thats what its made for, and I've been able to hit 2800FPS with out pressure. Again one of my goals. Shootability is in my opinion is better than a equally heavy 338 lapua (14lbs on both). The 338 with the 300gr berger (.817bc) generates 63ft lbs of free recoil whereas the 375RUM with a 350SMK (814bc) runs 65lbs of free recoil in the same rifle. On firing you get 2'' of horizontal movement straight back, everytime. Thats shooting off of a hood, when prone you just get a straight push. The only down side is I can't mag feed it, but with this rifle I plan to be far enough away where single feeding is not gonna be a problem. So far I've only got to stretch it to 1048yds where accuracy was good/great. I was runnning .75 moa with switching winds shooting through a river canyon. Im gonna stretch it out to a mile when I can get over east
My recipe is 102.5 of retumbo w a oal of 3.950
So far I'm really happy and now I can screw with the 338 Lapua guys :) My rifles bigger than yours :D
Happy shooting!!
Chris
Benchmark Barrels

Attachments

• 375 rum.jpg
    375 rum.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Hey Everyone,
First an foremost, Merry Christmas!! :)
I've had a couple guys asking for updates on my 375 RUM project, so here we go.
I used a Mirage chassis, Defiance hunter Deviant, our 1" Miller break, a Jewell trigger and a Sierra S7 bipod.
The barrel is our 10 twist 5groove finishing 28" in a heavy palma profile and a skip flute pattern.
I had a proofing group of .33 for 4 shots but lost it. This rifle really likes the 350 smk which is great cause thats what its made for, and I've been able to hit 2800FPS with out pressure. Again one of my goals. Shootability is in my opinion is better than a equally heavy 338 lapua (14lbs on both). The 338 with the 300gr berger (.817bc) generates 63ft lbs of free recoil whereas the 375RUM with a 350SMK (814bc) runs 65lbs of free recoil in the same rifle. On firing you get 2'' of horizontal movement straight back, everytime. Thats shooting off of a hood, when prone you just get a straight push. The only down side is I can't mag feed it, but with this rifle I plan to be far enough away where single feeding is not gonna be a problem. So far I've only got to stretch it to 1048yds where accuracy was good/great. I was runnning .75 moa with switching winds shooting through a river canyon. Im gonna stretch it out to a mile when I can get over east
My recipe is 102.5 of retumbo w a oal of 3.950
So far I'm really happy and now I can screw with the 338 Lapua guys :) My rifles bigger than yours :D
Happy shooting!!
Chris
Benchmark Barrels
Congrats!

Beautiful rifle! Thats a heck of a round. Its amazing what you can do when you reload, so who needs the .338 Lapua anyway? :D

so who needs the .338 Lapua anyway? :D

^^....this.....yes ! thank you !!!!! lmao !

awesome rifle Chris !
cool to see more 375 cal shooters doing awesome things with "heavy recoiling" rifles that can't be shot accurately ........

my 375 PRO rifle is gonna get an upgrade soon with that 30" 10 twist ya sent me, can't wait

Thanks! Its a hammer, and not bad to shoot either. The Chassis recoils straight back about 2" and thats it. The 350 smk is easy to shoot and tune. Overall I'm really happy with this rig and it beats all my expectations, but next one will be in a Wyatts 4'' center feed and Manners EH1.
Chris
Benchmark

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.