375 RUM Build

My smith rents his reamers if he doesn't have them.. that being said when I rebarrel I'll have one built to l specs suited to the bullet I want to shoot. And if you know me at all you know I'm shooting Barnes. 270LRX to be exact. Don't have a lot of experience with that bullet yet but I have lobbed a whole bunch of 270TSX through it with great results

I rent most of what I need from 4d. Haven't had an issue with any of them. Sharp n clean. Between 4d and reamer rentals, you can put together almost anything. I built my 475rum using a 375rum for the body and 470 capstick for the front end. Pilots interchange. I bought more brass with the money I would have spent on that 1 off custom reamer I'd likely never use again. Just me tho. I get that some guys like collecting the tooling as much as the work. That's cool too.

Rent the 375rum and the 375 throater. I Cut the chamber short, throat to 4.1oal on matchkings, then finish the chamber. Its soooooo easy to take too much out with the throat reamer so I start there and work back, then cut the shoulder to match. Gotta work around the issues sometimes.

I am able to push matchkings to 2950 pretty easily with retumbo compressed. 7828ssc isnt far behind and fits better. H1000 is probably right in there too but its nowhere to Be found. R33 can get 3000 but I don't think I'd shoot them in the summer. I shoot mostly 270gr speers at 3050 with magpro or r22. Got a few woodchucks with it. Nothing real far, but it's fun to get the big guns out and I get tired of shooting paper quick.
20200308_163314.jpg

My next little battle is to get it to shoot cast well enough that I can actually afford to shoot it as much as I'd like. Made a cutter and cut the nose out of a 215gr .375 mold. 310gr gaschecked. 2400fps is about all they can stand but they absolutely destroy whatever they hit! (If they hit it)
20200128_230144.jpg

20200128_225905.jpg

20200128_230031.jpg

20200128_230235.jpg

20200128_230316.jpg

Ps... that's my daughter's hand.

Last edited:
Yes. I use clear pc. No melty sticky goop or exposed lead that way. Sized, then 2 coats, second coat at 550° for 50 minutes and quenched in ice water toughens them up. Clear doesn't smoke or stink like most colors.

I can push them faster but they lead the throat and never hit the paper.
20200219_191829.jpg

That's a cool idea. I love your process and the bullets look really good.

The 375 was always looked at as a safari rifle with huge bullets and slow velocities. In today's picture, it's winning The King of 2 Mile competitions and several other honorable mentions.

For me, there are so many more offerings today than ever before. That was always been my draw back. Now we have a bullet makers like Steve at Hammer that will design or tweak a bullet for a specific caliber.

Agreed. I know it's not a cheytac, but honestly, how far are you really shooting? And who's carrying a cheytac around? A 350smk at 2950 will stay supersonic right out to 1 mile, and still deliver more whap than a close range ar15, and with just a set of 20moa bases, I can actually dial up clear to that mile with just my old 6-18x40 buckmasters scope(if I can see the target haha) and It's only got about 50moa of adjustment. Most iimportantly to me is its a 10lb rifle that I can carry all day and shoot from any position. A real hunting gun. And I'm only giving up about 250fps to the cheytac. The ct is sure cool, but to me, it's like driving a peterbilt as a daily driver. The rum is like driving an f550. Bigger than your f150, but really not a lot, and the capacity is 10 times as much. I really like that. My 375ultra feels exactly like carrying my 243, which is why it's the only rifle I reach for anymore.
Screenshot_20210716-181131_Strelok.jpg

I think the 375's are the sweet spot for power / accuracy / extreme long range killing power, but still being "reasonable" as far as muzzle blast, weight, etc.

I am currently building a 9.5 x 70 (AKA 375 Lapua improved) on a Defiance AnTi action, 5 round DBM, 26 in Bartlien, carbon fiber M40 stock. Rifle will weigh 10.5 lbs. with a NF scope on it. I have an exact one in 338 Lapua Improved (built on a Defiance ultralight)
Rifle is throated for the 350 Cutting Edge MTH, but will also test Steve's Hammers and the Barnes.

Last edited: