Good progress with Savage FCP 338 Lapua

Greyfox

Looks like I have settled in on good load for my Savage 110 HS FCP 338. The attached is a 5 shot 200 Yard group using Lapua brass, 89gr. Retumbo, Fed 215, Berger 300gr. Hybrid, .030 off the lands. I did have to play with the bedding. I initially thought I had a scope issue but the bedding need some work. Skim coated the aluminum blocks with Brownells bedding compound and set the torque of the front screw 40"/#, rear 25"/#. Torque the front screw first. I dont like the bedding screw placement on the Savage. Tightening the rear screw will pull the barrel up because of its placement behind the block....this stinks since it torques the action with any kind of pressure. I see no difference between new Lapua and FL sized fired cases. Neck OD for both at .365". Velocity 2700, ES 7 FPS for 10 shots. Im set for LR testing.

Attachments

• 338 load.jpg
    338 load.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 130
Looks like its plenty accurate the way it sits, sinc its a savage you can play with torque setting to tighten it up also. All of my savages seem to shoot best at a little different torque setting on the rear. Front I leave the same and then slowly inch the back tighter till groups start to widen. Theres a tutorial on it somewhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts