375 rum hunting bullet

Hey, I've shot Barnes TSX's, TTSX's and more recently LRX's and I've never had anything but great results from them. So I'll keep using them from a 22-250AI up to the 375 H&H, with just about every possible caliber in between (no 270, 8mm or 35). There have been a few rifles I had to mess with for a bit but they've all shot Barnes to under MOA and everything I shot them at has died. My experience is quick deaths too. I didn't hesitate to take them to Kodiak for brown bear and I will be using them for Cape buffalo if I ever get the chance at them. Weird things can happen, occasionally I'm sure someone has had a bad experience with a Barnes. I've had a couple with Nosler BT's, but the partition's never an issue. I'd just rather not hunt thru meat for lead and bits of copper any more. It's the USA; we have choices, at least for now!
Take Care, Rick

I didn't say people can't use them, didn't even say they wouldn't have success with them, didn't say people haven't had success with them, and neither did the gentleman quoted.

Simply stated my opinion on what I would and do choose for me, and my reasons for it, then backed it up with a taste of why in the form of a quotation when asked.
Pro hunter/outfitter, hunter, the guy quoted has more experience than I could gain in 10 lifetimes, it holds more weight to me then a simple "I once had one fail when I shot a rabbit," story from me...
He gave his reasons and whether I agree with them all or not it was best to include the full list, especially given I don't know if he's on this site to clarify, should I butcher things.

Given the wide variety of situations we encounter, from shot angle, to toughness of hide, to velocity and so on, there really can't be any proven, no debate end to this. It all tends to be experience based on personal observations, whether it's in ballistic gel, watermelons, cape buffalo, or anywhere in between and to the side.

I've used triple shocks and tipped triple shocks

So use them should you wish, I'll be using them when the lead ban is thrown at me, not until then.

*To be noted, stressed here, I'm not using them in my stopping gun, a 458 lott in my case. As noted in the post I quoted, he's talking pretty specific scenarios as well.

This isn't some campaign to say triple shocks shouldn't be used ever for anything, not a campaign at all, in my post and in the posts I quoted it was made clear they've been effective for many and are an option, just not "our" first choice.

And with triple shocks you have issues with some that were around when, or still have and may use/sell stock of the old version, the X bullet, the predecessor to the Triple shock X bullet aka TSX.
Somewhat akin to the more recent change and issues had with the old Hornady DGX bullets vs their newer bonded DGX and failure stories.

Now, this post is supposed to be a discussion regarding Moose to Bear, some of this is detouring a bit excessively. Why I won't respond to the solid/soft in 375 on cape buff point.

But for me, I'd consider Bear a dangerous game animal, and would treat Moose as such whether I believe them to be "officially" or not, but the way I hunt puts me in close close quarters, or else it's a failure to me. I understand we're on long range hunting. I tend to be more into "smell their breath" close hunting because I'm a caller, and close means I've succeeded in my calling efforts.

If you shoot moose at 200 yards, pick your shot, can wait for angle etc... things are different
Hunt bear over bait where you've got time to pick your shot in relative safety, things are different.

Now both of those could still wind up with a charge from a wounded animal, and perhaps worse yet, a grizz that found your moose kill before you. But I'll rain it in lest I digress

Point to all this, it was simply a respectful opinion on what I would/have chosen for myself, pointed out as being in part because a charge and therefore heavy bone first type hit COULD happen, MAY be needed.

That scenario may be rare enough for someone to dismiss it and that is fine, I won't for myself.

Last edited:
One of my hunting partners for the last thirty years uses a .375 RUM and it accounted for many big moose and grizzly. I believe his favourite bullet was the 250 Swift A-frame. From point blank to 500 yards it did the trick.

What does everyone figure for a good hunting bullet im consider barnes lrx or Nosler accubonds. moose to bears type shooting
I don't have the 375 but I do have a custom 300 RUM & 338 RUM. They both love the Barnes TTSX/TSX & the nosler accubonds... both shoot them quite well... if I do my part 1/2" or better.. have yet to have any animal so far take a step. Just DRT... haven't tried the LRX yet, but I've heard good things as well... I think you can't go wrong with either of the choices given, as well as some others mentioned..
The 375 RUM is a bucket build item for me to finish out the RUMS....
Good Luck!