375 Ruger Longest Range Load

Well, since starting this thread I learned about CE bullets. Ordered the 250gr Maximus. Went to load a few up and was quickly disappointed. Factory chamber (per smith) and the .030" off the lands with the 260 nosler AB has it looking good. I mean the coal looks good to me. Almost like a custom throat. Yet, the CE bullets have to be seated so deep that the case is just going to be castrated. I don't even think I'm going to try. Seems like any marketed advantage would be lost. Sticking with the ABs for now.

Absolutely that's why I paid more, just for that one kimber 300 wsm! I also have a pile still for the 325&375.
My experience with the .308 200 accubond was not great for anything long range. Just for a data point was pushing a 300wsm hard with those pills at 2950. Shot a wyo elk at 634 yd. 2 of the 3 shots exited. The third I found trapped in the skin barely opened. I think the other 2 pills exited because they didn't open. Drop chart suggested impact velocity around 1900 fps if I recall correctly. Looking back the shot was too far for my setup. I like the accubonds but this experience is what prompted me to start this thread. Adding this .308 stuff as I see reference to it and it's a data point I wish I would have had. The elk died fast but I never autopsied the internal damage so I'm not 100% about my assessment (gutless method griz country). I do think I had the wrong bullets for the task at that time based on the one bullet I did recover.

Sounds like you have nice country there in Iowa. And I, for one commend you for using a 375Ruger, even if it was pushed by law. I've used lots of large calibers in Africa on smaller game, so 375Ruger for whitetail sounds reasonable. We have a 375 Ruger in Africa, and I will share its loads.

Ruger Hawkeye rifle, 375Ruger, 250gn Barnes TTSX, Hornady cases (2xx fired), Rem9.5M primer, 84.0gn Rel17. Crimped with Lee Crimp die.

This produces approximately 2825fps, by Chronograph. I will try to attach/insert a jpg of a 100-yard group:
20160603_250TTSXgroup.jpg

But I've also done some more recent work with another rifle.

A few years ago I picked up another 375Ruger, this time a Mossberg Patriot, in the US for load development and practice. And I wanted to try a rifle company that I had never used. The rifle was decent and would be good for hunting (3/4" to 1.5" typical groups), except that the bore shows excess copper fouling and we have other rifles that outshoot this particular rifle, so it never goes on a hunt.

For loads, I particularly tested the Hammer Hunter 248 (weighs 244gn).

The newish Winchester Powder StaBall6.5 was used, along with WinLRM primers.
The Hammer Hunter worked well and allowed a lot of that StaBall6.5 powder to be used. 89grains produced around 2950fps (by chronograph). Attached are two pix of two shots each, same day, one seated 3.50" COL and the other at 3.60"COL. The bullet wants to be single fed. :)

pic 375 244 89 deep 20210611.jpeg

And below is the target for the 3.60" COL
pic 375 244 89 long20210611.jpeg
20160603_250TTSXgroup.jpg
pic 375 244 89 deep 20210611.jpeg
pic 375 244 89 long20210611.jpeg

Sounds like you have nice country there in Iowa. And I, for one commend you for using a 375Ruger, even if it was pushed by law. I've used lots of large calibers in Africa on smaller game, so 375Ruger for whitetail sounds reasonable. We have a 375 Ruger in Africa, and I will share its loads.

Ruger Hawkeye rifle, 375Ruger, 250gn Barnes TTSX, Hornady cases (2xx fired), Rem9.5M primer, 84.0gn Rel17. Crimped with Lee Crimp die.

This produces approximately 2825fps, by Chronograph. I will try to attach/insert a jpg of a 100-yard group:
View attachment 490746

A few years ago I picked up another 375Ruger, this time a Mossberg Patriot, in the US for load development and practice. And I wanted to try a rifle company that I had never used. The rifle was decent and would be good for hunting (3/4" to 1.5" typical groups), except that the bore shows excess copper fouling and we have other rifles that outshoot this particular rifle, so it never goes on a hunt.

The Hammer Hunter worked well and allowed a lot of that StaBall6.5 powder to be used. 89grains produced around 2950fps (by chronograph). Attached are two pix of two shots each, same day, one seated 3.50" COL and the other at 3.60"COL. The bullet wants to be single fed. :)

View attachment 490755
View attachment 490756View attachment 490746View attachment 490755View attachment 490756
Thanks a ton for sharing this. Great data. To clarify I don't live in Iowa, not that it matters, but when I get to go I want the right tool. Can't go every year.

Buy 50 350gr Sierra MatchKings. Load them up with H4350 you can load them to .020" jump and up to 2450fps. The large bore diameter and case dimensions give the caryrige relatively good expansion ratio for the powder to burn. This means that it performs well in shorter barrels down to 20" compared to say the same case necked to 30 cal needs a much longer barrel ro get velocity.

The 350 SMK works well and hitting at extended range they tend to tumble. If hit in the near lungs the animal is going down. Also if you are allowed to supressors the report will be relatively low compared to high velocity magnums.

Wind drift will be reduced due to the good BC and with a range finder and Ballistic program out to 500 yards will be fine.

I would set these loads up as single loading if shooting long range that is no issue.

Have fun and try some out of the box loading. You could also try RE17 for added velocity however it's not temperature stable like H4350. The new Staball 6.5 looks promising and similar burn rate so might get into the 2550 plus velocity.

If wanting a load to feed through the mag the sierra spire point boat tails bullets are accurate and work well.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Thanks a ton for sharing this. Great data. To clarify I don't live in Iowa, not that it matters, but when I get to go I want the right tool. Can't go every year.
I do live in iowa. Been hunting deer here for 50 years. The deer here are large to huge. I remember back in the 70's, we had to apply to even get a tag, and if by some remote chance you were drawn for a rare doe tag, we'll, that was like hitting the powerball lottery. We've come a long ways in those 50 years. Where I hunt, last year late muzzleloader season, I seen 3 of the biggest bucks I've ever seen, so I know they're still there this year, unless the winter took em, which happens sometimes. I seen all 3 bucks together in the cornfield, but they were like 400 yards away. A bit too far, even for my 700 ultimate muzzleloader. I've shot 2 deer with my 375 ruger, both with 265 grain cast bullets, and dang, neither one took a single step. This year I'm using 235 grain Speer ahead of 77 grains of Vihtavouri 150. Muzzle velocity is right at 2900 fps according to Labradar, so I'm good out to further than I'll shoot. 300 yards is as far as I'm gonna shoot, but it'll go well past that. At 400, it's still pushing 1800 foot pounds of energy. That's a dead deer easily.

Whoops! I meant to say at 300 yards it's still pushing 1800 foot pounds, not at 400.

Last edited:
My experience with the .308 200 accubond was not great for anything long range. Just for a data point was pushing a 300wsm hard with those pills at 2950. Shot a wyo elk at 634 yd. 2 of the 3 shots exited. The third I found trapped in the skin barely opened. I think the other 2 pills exited because they didn't open. Drop chart suggested impact velocity around 1900 fps if I recall correctly. Looking back the shot was too far for my setup. I like the accubonds but this experience is what prompted me to start this thread. Adding this .308 stuff as I see reference to it and it's a data point I wish I would have had. The elk died fast but I never autopsied the internal damage so I'm not 100% about my assessment (gutless method griz country). I do think I had the wrong bullets for the task at that time based on the one bullet I did recover.
I've always heard the accubonds were basically soft enough to expand down low as advertised. I suppose if that were the case the ABLR wouldn't have come out. I suppose now you could try the 190 ABLR and have a softer bullet going faster at your extended range.

Mainly reading along with this because a 375 RUM just seems like a good idea to me. My 416 rem mag was a good way to get my toes wet but now I "need" more. Squirrels and rabbits can be hell to put down humanely.

I own 375 H&H rifles and have shot Whitetails using my all-around load of the Sierra 300-grain SBT over 77.7 grains of IMR4350 (good for Crows, snakes, and other varmints and suchlike, too).
Seriously, I don't think they expand at all even at close range and light game. After all, Sierra says they are good for Cape Buffalo so, I would think they are pretty tough.
Even were that projectile only going at 1500 fps, it would still create an impact and wound channel similar to that of a 50-caliber muzzleloader at 100 yards.
If a projectile starts off at 3/8-inch and doesn't expand at all, it's still as effective as a 357 magnum at 25 yards...minimum. I would use what is most accurate first. A heavy 375 retains velocity and lethality very well.

Last edited:
I've always heard the accubonds were basically soft enough to expand down low as advertised. I suppose if that were the case the ABLR wouldn't have come out. I suppose now you could try the 190 ABLR and have a softer bullet going faster at your extended range.

Mainly reading along with this because a 375 RUM just seems like a good idea to me. My 416 rem mag was a good way to get my toes wet but now I "need" more. Squirrels and rabbits can be hell to put down humanely.
The Accubond does expand below the 1800fps advertised threshold, it's not a lot, but expansion is expansion. I have tested many bullets, bonded, non-bonded, cup & core, flat base, boat tail and match bullets. The ABLR is a fantastic LR bullet if you put the time in testing seating depth and I have them expand (142g/129g 6.5 & 190g/210g 308) down as far as 900fps, which is fantastic LR performance.
Now, the Berger, the hybrid hunter, is the only one I've had success with, all of the OTM, VLD & Target bullets I've tested/used have either not expanded or have come apart and not penetrated adequately. Now, I do use BIG cartridges that push bullets fast, so maybe this is a factor, but when a bullet continues to not perform in multitudes of tests, I move on…
The 180g & 200g Accubonds out of 300WM & 300RUM have always worked for me at extended ranges, in fact, I only have 1 recovered 180g Accubond and it was found in a double hit on hogs, we didn't even know we had hit 2 hogs until later in the day when we went to fill the feeder. That initial hit was about 200, the second hog was in the scrub about 15 metres behind. Bullet went in at the neck/shoulder joint and was in the opposite rear ham, perfectly mushroomed, but backwards from line of travel.
Same goes for the 110g Accubond from either the 25-06 or 257 Weatherby, expands very well beyond 600, so it has to be understood that different weight bullets in the same calibre are built differently with the intent as to which cartridge and velocity level they are designed for. The 30 cal 200g Accubond is not designed or intended for use in a 308 Winchester, it just simply isn't…
My testing has me conclude that bonded bullets perform superior to non-bonded bullets…if you like Berger, Hornady or Nosler cup & core bullets and like their performance, that's great, I'm not trying to dissuade anyone, I like what I like, this is why I made no comments in the 'Bullet lethality and construction' thread.

Cheers.

Last edited:
The Accubond does expand below the 1800fps advertised threshold, it's not a lot, but expansion is expansion. I have tested many bullets, bonded, non-bonded, cup & core, flat base, boat tail and match bullets. The ABLR is a fantastic LR bullet if you put the time in testing seating depth and I have them expand (142g/129g 6.5 & 190g/210g 308) down as far as 900fps, which is fantastic LR performance.
Now, the Berger, the hybrid hunter, is the only one I've had success with, all of the OTM, VLD & Target bullets I've tested/used have either not expanded or have come apart and not penetrated adequately. Now, I do use BIG cartridges that push bullets fast, so maybe this is a factor, but when a bullet continues to not perform in multitudes of tests, I move on…
The 180g & 200g Accubonds out of 300WM & 300RUM have always worked for me at extended ranges, in fact, I only have 1 recovered 180g Accubond and it was found in a double hit on hogs, we didn't even know we had hit 2 hogs until later in the day when we went to fill the feeder. That initial hit was about 200, the second hog was in the scrub about 15 metres behind. Bullet went in at the neck/shoulder joint and was in the opposite rear ham, perfectly mushroomed, but backwards from line of travel.
Same goes for the 110g Accubond from either the 25-06 or 257 Weatherby, expands very well beyond 600, so it has to be understood that different weight bullets in the same calibre are built differently with the intent as to which cartridge and velocity level they are designed for. The 30 cal 200g Accubond is not designed or intended for use in a 308 Winchester, it just simply isn't…
My testing has me conclude that bonded bullets perform superior to non-bonded bullets…if you like Berger, Hornady or Nosler cup & core bullets and like their performance, that's great, I'm not trying to dissuade anyone, I like what I like, this is why I made no comments in the 'Bullet lethality and construction' thread.

Cheers.
I missed it if someone was talking about a 200 gr accubond in a 308 Winchester. Muzzle velocity and estimated impact velocity seems more constructive than headstamps either way.

I missed it if someone was talking about a 200 gr accubond in a 308 Winchester. Muzzle velocity and estimated impact velocity seems more constructive than headstamps either way.
They mentioned that 200g Accubonds, in their opinion, failed to expand at 645 yards, don't know the muzzle velocity…

Cheers.

Looking for some advice on the longest range load for this particular caliber. Specific to whitetails. I know it's an odd caliber but some new legislation has made this legal where I am hunting (.35 caliber and above). I've had this gun for sometime and the current load I have is reloader 17 and nosler's 260 accubond. Also have some older 260 nosler ballistic tips. Both shoot well and average 2825 fps.

I've looked at the 4Dof charts to get an idea of velocity down range. I don't have any experience with the references projectiles to decern their ability to open down around 2000 fps.

Is there a better long range projectile for extending my range whitetail hunting? Do any of you have experience with these Nosler bullets past 300 yards?

My apologies if this is in the wrong forum. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I happen to have a 375 Ruger and a 375 RUM both. I've taken a number of elk with each, although at 73 years of age, I have pretty much retired the RUM. Never bothered me in my 60s, but I'll be honest, it hurts anymore.

My best load in the 375 Ruger is 83 grains of 4350 behind the 260gr Nosler AccuBond. I'm refering primarily to accuracy. I have had excellent terminal performance out of this bullet and it's certainly all one would need for a deer at any range that matches up with your ability to put it where it belongs. If in Africa or hunting the more dangerous bears of North America, i might try the 300 gr AccuBond.

View attachment 490746

View attachment 490755
View attachment 490756View attachment 490746View attachment 490755View attachment 490756
Are those shot groups in a Factory rifle? Just wondering as both me and my brother had the same .375 Rugers built out of 1917 Enfield actions about 10 years ago. I have not played with it since I did the barrel break in?

Recent Posts