RIFLES: Rifles firing straight wall or other cen-
terfire ammunition propelling an expanding-type
bullet with a maximum diameter of no less than
.350 of an inch and no larger than .500 of an inch
and with a published or calculated muzzle energy
of 500 foot pounds or higher is legal for hunting
deer during the youth and disabled hunting season

and first and second shotgun seasons.

This has nothing to do with general hunting regulations at all, it's for youth and disabled hunters.

Enjoy!
Wrong…

I'm going to assume you're in Iowa, cause I'm using my 375 ruger as well. I'm loading the Hornady 225 grain bullet ahead of 40 grains of A5744. Obviously, I'm not loading for long range, but if I was, I'd be looking at Reloader 15, Win 748, or maybe Win 760. My load is moving at about 2500 fps, and it'll get out to 250 yards with no problem, and that's plenty far enough for Iowa.
Yessir and thank you

Looking for some advice on the longest range load for this particular caliber. Specific to whitetails. I know it's an odd caliber but some new legislation has made this legal where I am hunting (.35 caliber and above). I've had this gun for sometime and the current load I have is reloader 17 and nosler's 260 accubond. Also have some older 260 nosler ballistic tips. Both shoot well and average 2825 fps.

I've looked at the 4Dof charts to get an idea of velocity down range. I don't have any experience with the references projectiles to decern their ability to open down around 2000 fps.

Is there a better long range projectile for extending my range whitetail hunting? Do any of you have experience with these Nosler bullets past 300 yards?

My apologies if this is in the wrong forum. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Well if you are looking for a longer range ammo, try these but will be overkill for whitetail but if you want longer range check out the ballistic table.
DANGEROUS GAME" 375 RUGER
270 gr. Barnes TSX @ 2,750 fps / 4,533 ft-lbs
20-Round Box

Well that is a direct copy of the published regulations.

Maybe you should take it up with Iowa Game and Fish folks, not me. And you from Minnesota... sheesh.

:eek:
I think he was pointing out that you forgot to highlight all the relevant parts of that regulation. You posted the whole thing, just stopped reading 1 line too soon. I'll help with the part you forgot.

is legal for hunting
deer during the youth and disabled hunting season
and first and second shotgun seasons.

Yup...everyone can use 35 cal and bigger bottleneck and straight wall cartridges during both deer seasons. We are seeing a huge move to the 35 whelen here in iowa. I've built 4 of them ...1 mossberg and 3 savages rebarreled to the whelen. After slugging it for 40 years the rifles sure are fun. With my land owner and regular state wide tags i shot 4 deer with the whelen last year. Impressive to say the least. Just got to keep the pile of slugs i have for something in the future i guess. I did shoot a 5 x 5 elk one year with a slug one year. That was fun. We're glad for the rifle regs here in iowa....but its kinda dumb we can't use smaller cartridges...agreed
Not really dumb, considering some of the whack-jobs for hunters out there, and the fact that there is a lot of livestock around. If they'd do away with party hunting and some of the really big groups doing deer drives, then maybe, however, that'll never happen.

Not really dumb, considering some of the whack-jobs for hunters out there, and the fact that there is a lot of livestock around. If they'd do away with party hunting and some of the really big groups doing deer drives, then maybe, however, that'll never happen.
When I think bottleneck 35 and up I think ultra long range not short. 35 whelen isn't terrible long range but the stuff based on the 50bmg and 505 gibbs sure is.

When I think bottleneck 35 and up I think ultra long range not short. 35 whelen isn't terrible long range but the stuff based on the 50bmg and 505 gibbs sure is.
In 50 years of chasing Iowa whitetails, I've seen some real bizarre stuff done by some real bizarre hunters, which is why I hunt late muzzleloader season. I pretty much have the timber to myself. Even though I hunt private property, can't really call it private during gun seasons because of all the trespassers. People just randomly shooting at anything resembling a deer, sometimes at things that don't resemble deer. It's just nuts. I do hunt the gun season, but with my late muzzleloader tag, all I can get for a regular gun season is a doe tag. I hunt that season on private property with a friend that has permission, and it's impossible to to do drives or large groups there, so it isn't bad, but I'd really hate to see some of these people with ultra-long range calibers, and if I was a farmer with a bunch of cows, I'd really be nervous. I think shooting 300 yard shots is a gods plenty for most of Iowa, however, that's just my opinion.

Can someone…..anyone…..please give me an unemotional definition of what "overkill" is!!!

I contend that it does not exist….. in a legal, shoulder fired rifle that is fairly easily carried by the hunter in the field!

Explainations welcome! 😉 memtb
It's usually when your buddies give you crap for knocking a big Ole hole in some poor critter that just happened to be out in front of you just asking for it. Case in point my cow elk shot with a 300wm at just under 100 yds . Low shoulder in thru the top of the heart and out the pouch just behind the off shoulder . You could put a softball in the exit hole with ease. I didn't get pictures of exit hole but it was huge.

Attachments

• 20230820_070939.jpg
    20230820_070939.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
It's usually when your buddies give you crap for knocking a big Ole hole in some poor critter that just happened to be out in front of you just asking for it. Case in point my cow elk shot with a 300wm at just under 100 yds . Low shoulder in thru the top of the heart and out the pouch just behind the off shoulder . You could put a softball in the exit hole with ease. I didn't get pictures of exit hole but it was huge.

I should have noted that…..the bullet type/design/integrity should be considered in the "overkill" designation! 😉

So is it cartridge/ caliber or the bullet used at a higher velocity? 😁memtb