.375 Hornady bullets for Africa?

Do you think the DGS (solid) performs better?
I've been pretty happy with Hornady's .375 GMX and wouldn't mind sticking with that brand.

Well I don't know, I used the expanding bullets on that trip as I was hunting Buffalo, eland, and other plains game that crossed my path-I would have had solids if I was hunting elephant (or my 416) Now let me say--I use a 375 RUM, and this was around the first year they released the DGX bullet (around 2012). So were there bugs in the bullets? Were they not built for 2825 fps out of my rum? Don't know--but they broke up badly and my first shot on that eland was about 155 yards --so not like it was right off the end of the muzzle. I have used swift, Barnes, woodleighand now hammer and been quite pleased...id leave heavy boned, and dangerous game to better constructed bullets.

I had mine built by Bill Wiseman right when the 375 RUM came out, it is a **** accurate rig, ugly but accurate...I must have been drinking heavily when I picked the color scheme as when I picked it up--I was not loving it...I've taken it to Africa 3 different times, it has taken Buffalo, and large plains game like giraffe, eland and small stuff like diker and steinbok. I shot a blue wildebeest one time between the eyes at 160 yards as he would not move out of the edge of the brush, my PH after that--let me take any shot that was presented--it is a gun that builds confidence. I'd have built a 416 RUM--but have sworn off wildcats for the most part.

Attachments

• IMG_1509.JPG
    IMG_1509.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1552.JPG
    IMG_1552.JPG
    494.3 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2495.JPG
    IMG_2495.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2789.JPG
    IMG_2789.JPG
    207.9 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_3057.JPG
    IMG_3057.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0023.JPG
    IMG_0023.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0140.JPG
    IMG_0140.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.