Hornady GMX Bullets?????

CaptnC

I have box of 6.5 GMX 120gr bullets BC (G1) .450. Lead-free....

I've tried them in 3 different rifles 6.5x55, 6.5-06 and 264wm. They don't shoot worth a darn in any of the above rifles.

Just wondering if there is some secret to getting the to shoot good. I don't have any experience with solid bullets but I like the high BC, light weight which to me means better velocity.

Hornady load data wants them loaded like a 129gr bullets.

I'm thinking seating depth is my issue.

Any one got a handel on them?

I used 90gr gmx bullets in my 257wby. The factory ammo shot great so I bought a box. Had a heck of a time getting them to shoot, I put them the same depth as the factory ammo, no charge of 7828 worked. Finally I crimped the case on the cannelure and groups tightened. By then I hardly had any bullets left so called it quits

Thanks Ch35,
That's about where I'm at.

I have a big Aoudad sheep hunt at the end of the year. I'm going to use my 300wm (almost 16 lbs empty) for long range shot and if I'm forced to stalk more on flat ground carry the 264wm with the solid bullets.

I'm sure if I have to go to plan "B" the shots will be less than 300yds. So I can get by without bug hole accuracy. I certainly don't like it but I'm not going to buy more. I have enough to zero the rifle and make my big hunt.

The hunt is a state run hunt and there is no limit on how many you can take. Plus they have other feral sheep as well. Not that I plan to pile them up but I do want to put the hammer on one when the time comes.

Good luck! Gmxs do perform well on game.
I've went with ballistic tips on my 257, they shoot great .5moa and drop deer as well as any combo. I like their performance on game better than a vld.

I like Accubond and the plain Ballistic Tips...they shoot great. Drop game like a rock!

But Aoudad are pretty tough critrers. So I wanted something a little tougher.

I've got a Howa 6.5×55 that loves them a Ruger M77 6.5 CM that hates them and a Ruger #1A 6.5×55 that they are so-so in. The Howa has such a deep throat that when I use the Hornady tool to check seating depth.........the bullet falls out of the case before it engages the rifling, so I think they like LOTS of jump. I didn't check the bullet jump on the Ruger #1 because it shoots lights out with 125gr Nosler Partitions, and I'm good with that. They are/were all loaded over H4350.

Thanks c22...

I seat every thing close .007 to .015 so that maybe why I'm having issues.

I will certainly try them a little further off the lands

Went to the range today and tried three bullets, all with the same load of H1000 59.4gr...exactly 1 grain below max. The GMX .875 was their best group .050 and .020...both groups look like twins.

This close to hunting season my loading process is different than most, I pick a load that gets me the velocity I want. If no pressure sign and the group is ok I hunt it. BUT at this point I'm looking MOA of dead deer.

My deer lease is quite flat and new to me so the area I have to hunt has very limited visibility so I can't really air out a shot. It will be tough to get a 200yds shot. Be more on the order of 90yds.

The loading that I will be hunting with will not be the GMX. The Hornady 129gr SST 3 shot group was .3 MOA.

Before I go on the sheep hunt in January I will try to tune the GMX a little more before I go.

Timely question, I just picked up a box of the same .264 120 grainers to try in a Tikka 6.5x55 over 4350 and RL-17 and 22. In order to save some time and components I emailed Hornady about suggested jump.
I will let you know how they respond.

Update 10/18: Hornady tech responded via email yesterday:
"We recommend having a .030" bullet jump with our GMX bullets as they will create more pressure the a normal Copper jacketed bullet."

Last edited:
Shot these bullets again to .050 off the lands and can't tell any difference in group size. All three rifles have shot this bullet abut the same...1.5" groups...

This pretty much convinces me to stay away from solid bullets.

The lowly Nosler Partition bullets (6.5 125gr) with it horrible BC shot considerable better in all two rifles. I never had much luck with them in 270 or 7mmRM but they shoot fine in the 6.5x55 and 6.5-06...I've not shot them out of the 264wm.

I need a tought bullet for the 264wm on my upcoming Aoudad hunt for shots under 300yds. So it looks like I will give them a go!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.