375 Allen Mag?

MagnumManiac

This question is aimed at 50driver.
I am planning on building a rifle in the above calibre.
I am in Australia, there is a gunsmith in SA that has a 375 Chey-Tac, on an unkown action(to me).
Is this cartridge the same as your design?
My question is this; what would the best action to use be for this type of build?

I would prefer to have the rifle built by you, but I don't know how I would go getting one of your custom guns in the country here.Have imported other 'factory' rifles before, but not custom guns from 'small' gunsmiths.
(We have to have a 'genuine reason' over here, and an agent to import.)

I know this forum is for general questions, but I would like an answer from 50driver, any info he (or others) can give me will be greatly appreciated!

If you would prefer that I PM 50driver with details, please let me know.

Thanks immensely guys!
Cheers.
gun)
MagnumManiac.
:D

Magnum,

You wont have any problems importing the rifle. If you have an export agent handle the red tape in the US and a dealer willing to clear it at customs when it arrives it is a done deal. This is assuming you dont have a M 200 with collapsable stock show up !

i have been through all this and it is a piece of cake. All you need is patience. Nothing is going to happen quick.

If you want some help I can supply you with a great person to handle the export side of things. PM me if you want a hand with anything.

As far as the smith in SA, I assume you are probably talking about Andrew ? ( I think ) who handles llightforce stuff ? I had a good talk to the guy last year at a Melb gun show and we were talking about the 408 build. If memory serves me correct he was building it on a Lawton action I think ?

You wont have any problem with the export out of Montana. Get it organised !

From memory 50 thought this could potentially be the most potent long range round built off the 408 case, but he did mention a problem currently with ltd projectiles being offered ?

Cheers

DUH

Here's what Kirby wrote in a previous post in another thread:

James,

In my testing of my 375 Allen Magnum which has roughly 10-12 grains more capacity then the 375 Chey Tac, I would have to say that if we had the right bullets it would be a better choice then the 338 AM. With the bullets we have access to, basically the 350 gr SMK that are affordable anyway, it will match the 338 AM in velocity at 3300 fps. The BC of the 350 gr and 300 gr SMK are both said to be exactly the same at 0.780. In my testing the 300 gr SMK is roughly .800 out of the 338 AM and the 350 gr SMK closer to 0.770 but very close. Basically, out to a mile or so, they are pretty much ballistic twins but the 375 has a higher kenetic energy payload.

If we could get a lead core, aluminum tipped 375 bullet with a BC in the .9 range, it would truely be an amazing machine. Pretty **** impressive as it is now. Well, actually amazingly impressive, I am just numbed to the performance having played with the 338 AM so much.

The barrel life on the 375 would be far superior as well. I have word from several bullet makers that there will be more lead core 375 bullets coming out soon for this type of use so when that happens it will be hard to pic one over the other.

As far as the 50 BMG, other then kenetic energy, it does not compare at all to either the 338 or the 375 on the Chey tac case with the right bullets. Windage it does pretty good but bullet drop is MUCH more then the smaller rounds.

ANd for all the fuss, and rifle weight and cost of bullets and powder, I would just as soon have the ballistic performance in a portable rifle.

Thanks, guys!
I am REALLY interested in putting one of these bad boys together!
I think either the 338 AM or 375 AM will fit the bill for what I want to do.
Both are very IMPRESSIVE!

Does Kirby supply brass for his rifles? If so, do you need an import permit like you do for places like Sinclairs?

Down under hunter,
I will PM you in the next couple of days, I'm heading off for a Sambar hunt early tomorrow morning, won't be back until at least Sunday night (late) depending on how many deer we see. The rut is on at the moment, I'm going to try to get an undisturbed stag at around 600yds, but will settle for a hind for meat!
I just received my new Leica 10x42 Rangefinder binos.
Speak to you soon!
Cheers.
MM.
gun)

The detailed differences are pretty suttle but they are there and they make a noticable difference between the two.

The body taper on the 375 AM is slightly less then the 375 CT.

The shoulder angle is slightly sharper on the 375 AM

The shoulder/neck junction has been moved forward roughly 50 thou on the 375 AM compared to the 375 CT.

Brass with correct headstamp and fully formed is available from me in both 338 and 375 Allen Magnum. Had some friends up last weekend to shoot the 375 AM. At just shy of 1200 yards they all rang steel easily with the first couple shots they fired at this range and that was in very inconsistant wind conditions. None had shot much past 500 yards before and never with a rifle of this class of power.

Again, if we get a quality and steady source of higher BC bullets in 375 cal, this will be THE long range hammer.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.