338lapua or 338 lapua improved?

tbrown9124

I want to build a fairly lightweight 338lm but cannot decide on which to chamber for. I have a stiller action want to stock it with a lazz thumbhole and barrel it with an abs wrapped barrel, length around 30" minus brake. Long story short other than increased brass life and extra exspense of dies and other stuff what will I gain besides having an oddball? anyhelp would be appreciated as I know some of you guys have some of these , if all goes well my next one will be a 30-338lapua improved.

Go for the gusto......

Anything "improved" is always better than the standard.

With the 338 Lapua I would imagine that the improvement would enhance internal ballistics which in turn improves external performance.

Additionally, you'll want that 300 SMK going as fast as possible.

The only other cartridge in the league of the 338 Lapua Improved would be the 338 AX that Kirby Allen designed. You may wish to visit with him.

I was faced with the same delema. I went with the standard .338 Lapua. So I could order dies with ease, not have to fireform brass. I figured I could always do the improved thing later if I needed it. I have yet to need more case capacity shooting 300 gr SMK's. I use H-1000 for powder. We have shot it to 2100 yards at steel with great success. I have taken a deer at 1137 yds, speed goats to 820 yds. I don't know about the extended brass life of the Improved. But I can tell you this, first hand. I started with 100 new Lapua brass. Trimmed them once when new. They have been fired 4 times and I just worked the brass and it is primed ready for loading number 5. All 100 cases have not grown over .002", the primers still go in with great resiatance and all take the same pressure to seat them. Also the shoulder have never needed bumped back. So, I guess for me and my rifle all is happy. I guess I won't change it in fear I will just create something that is more work, $$, and harder on brass.

I will add I am using the competition Redding "S" bushing dies right off the shelf. I really like these dies.

Just my 2 cents.

Jeff

Last edited:
Broz,

Your post is a great testament from actual experience and a credible rifle pilot.

All the bases were covered especially the LR shooting.

The only discussion I would introduce is where you say "I have yet to need more case capacity shooting 300 gr SMK's." I just couldn't live like that:D:D

What kind of velocity are you getting w/the 300 SMK?

Broz,

Your post is a great testament from actual experience and a credible rifle pilot.

All the bases were covered especially the LR shooting.

The only discussion I would introduce is where you say "I have yet to need more case capacity shooting 300 gr SMK's." I just couldn't live like that:D:D

What kind of velocity are you getting w/the 300 SMK?

Thanks Roy,

I guess my satisfaction comes from when I was racing, tuning, and building Nitro engines. You can't win a championship with a one round wonder. So if it is happy, consistant and not killing it self. Practise your driving skills and go get em.:D

I am still shooting the load Joe Starnes worked up when he built the rifle. The plan was to increase the powder after the cases were all fired once. But the field test and the repeated performance of the rifle leaves me happy. So I just enjoy a real shooter that I don't feel a need to mess with. In stead I spend my time busting rocks and steel for practise with cold bore shots. I am using only 91 gr of H-1000 with a CCI 250 mag. I have two chronys that conflict so all I can tell ya is it's around 2750 and that lines up well with my exbal program using .768 for a BC on the 300 SMK. I see alot of people use 92 gr with the .338 Edge but I have never felt the need to push it up just for a few FPS. Even though I have plenty of room in the case still. I think the AI would get me another 2 gr of space but like I said. Haven't needed it yet. If I get the urge to tear stuff up, I have a custom 25-300 Weatherby Mag I built back when I was on my Velocity kick and never turned knobs. :D

Here is a VID my son made of us busting a few Speedgoats with her. Magnus was on the spotter and camera. I have learned a lot from him. You get around him and Joe with one of Joes rifles and it is impressive to say the least.

Enjoy.

YouTube - Extreme range hunthing with a .338 Lapua

Last edited:
I am not trying to deture or steal this thread. But to get back to the origional question and support my case of being very satisfied with the standard .338 Lapua. Here is a pic of a group Joe shot with my rifle. Still fireforming brass and the dond is 36" , 3 shots, 2100 yards away. Took 83 MOA of elevation.

Jeff

070908_21571.jpg

Thanks for the input I saw the vid on youtube way before I posted this and must say very impressive. I shoot alot of bench up to a grand and none the cartridges i shoot at that distance are suitable for longer yardages, plus I would like a rifle in a big cal to hunt with that is suitable for the longer yardages. There is the option of a chey-tac or the 338xt but they dont seem to be very portable or to my liking, I can bench race all day but would rather hear what the guys who have time and money invested have to say.

Broz
What is the length of your barrel, and did you go with a 1:10 or 1;9.3 twist?
Enjoyed the video.

Boz I am also useing H-1000 in my 338 Laupa. I am shooting 92 grains with Federal 215M in Lapua brass for 2791 FPS and the accuracy is in the mid to high .2's

jwp475 that about where I would be with 92 gr. What is your ES? I doubt I will change anything , Well, Till the 300 Gr Bergers make it out. That will make these rifles even better with the effects of a higher BC and no more wear and tear on rifle and components.
I am pretty anxious for them.

Jeff

I'd have to look at my records that are in Idaho to state the powder I'm using but my 338 RUM w/a 26" rem sporter take off barrel shoot the 300 SMK @ 2735 +/- 1 FPS and is PD accurate (.5" @ 200). I seem to recall that the powder is 7828ssc.

It kind of just sets there waiting to get called upon to do something when some extra umph is needed out towards 1K. Being as its a little on the light side I'm thinking it and I are good to the 900 yd mark. Limitations are mostly due to limitations of 1/8th" clicks and mil-dot scope.

My next step, rather than go to Lapua Improved or an Edge and only get a little more, I'm dreaming about going to where there, at my age, there is no other level to go to and that would be a 375 based on the 408. Improved,,,,,,of course.....:)

Roy the 375/408 does get my attention too. If I had the extra funds for one, I would be looking into it on a more serious level. But Even though the thought of 3000 yards get me very excited, the weight of the rifle, cost of compoenents really make it not possible for me. Well, maybe someday.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.