338 Lapua Improved dies.

Tyler Kemp

Does anyone make these from the factory? If not, who is a good choice to make them? I've had good luck with RCBS and Redding.

Does anyone make these from the factory? If not, who is a good choice to make them? I've had good luck with RCBS and Redding.

We went with the Redding S type competition. You will need to send in a fireformed case or a blue print of the reamer you use and they will custom build the dies for you. This is due to the many different neck angles used for the AI.

We elected to try the non AI version first so the standard brass and dies could be used. We figured if it needed the 2 gr more of the AI we could always ream it again later. With a very brass friendly load of 91 gr of H-1000 in the 27 1/2" barrel it will group very well at 2100 yards. Also I have fired some cases 3 times and haven't trimmed yet. I am very happy with what we did.

JMO

Jeff

My Smith always makes my dies when he builds the rifle using my reamers. Is not a big deal at all for a good Smith to do just takes time and money but it is worth it esp for my competition rifles. Then I have sporters built in the same chambering using the same dies...

The seating die on my 338 Slowpoke is a regular Wilson 338 Lapua just made a little larger! The sizing die is the only challenge because carburizing is involved and a lot charge can be expensive.. Picked up many dies in the past from being carburized (tried to wait until the shop was making dies then have mine done so as to avoid the lot charge) and took them back to the shop for polishing and assy. I use Newlon blanks in 12L-14.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts