338 win mag

The first thing Im going to do to the rifle is put on a limbsaver pad. I would most likely be shooting 215 or 225 gr loads. I can shoot a hot loaded 7.5 pound 30-06 with 165 gr bullets all day with no real affects. and its producing sumwhere around that 18 to 20 pounds of recoil. Now I know that the 338 is more of a big push than the 30-06, which has a sharper kick. I don't really want to install a muzzle break because of the noise levels.

Any more info will be greatly appreciated.

If I were you, I'd have a muzzle brake installed and cap to go along with it. Have the muzzle brake on during the pounding load development/range times. If you are worried about the noise level, with or without muzzle brake, you should wear appropriate/effective ear and eye protection, esp at the range.

And if you opt not to use it afield, you can always take it off and cap it.

NOTE: Determine the difference in POI (if any) with on and off the muzzle brake.

Good luck!

Ed

Now I know that the 338 is more of a big push than the 30-06, which has a sharper kick. I don't really want to install a muzzle break because of the noise levels.

Any more info will be greatly appreciated.
Ok, here's some more information: The recoil of a .338 WM is not a " big push." The recoil velocity is substantial, more like a .300 Weatherby.

A baffle-type muzzel brake is more than worthwhile, to me it's essential for ENJOYING this catagory of rifle, and yes it's noisy...just wear good hearing protection, and try to avoid shooting it near other shooters.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.