338 win mag...is it longrange

I shoot a Christensen Arms in 338 Win

Really like the rifles weight......

Good Muzzle Brake on it.......

Good scope with a BDC reticle like Leupold Boone and Crokett reticle takes a lot of work out of med range shots to 500 yards plus.

You have to shoot the load to get the exact yardage down pat but it works great.

Good trigger Timney.....also

Really like Nosler Accubond 225gr with Reloader 19

It is all based on whether the rifleman is a HUNTER or a SHOOTER. If I had a 338 that stopped ..flat dead as if it ran into a brick wall at 650 yds I wouldnt feel hampered even 1 bit. STALK the prey and then drop the hammer on him. For every ONE man thats truly capable of those 1000 + yard kills...there are 100 that arent...by a long shot.

IMO, this post is irrelevant to the OP and to the forum in general. This isn't stalkyourprey.com This is longrangehunting.com With some knlwledge, the right equipment and some practice, anyone with basic marksmanship skills can easily shoot 1K. The 1:100 comment is again irrelevant. You offered zero to the OP.

Another useless post

I wish some of you guys would get your head out of mr faster is always betters ***. The 338 lapua is only 200 fps faster than the 338 win mag. Thats not much at all.

With a couple of exceptions you've gotten some good feedback. It all depends on what you consider long range and how far you want to be able to shoot.

A 300 WM is good to probably about 800 yds give or take on elk size game IMO. If you want to go farther a larger cartridge would be needed.

I wouldn't worry about the 338 RUM being discontinued. If it is, there will still be brass available and in worse case you could always rechamber very easy to an EDGE.

If you're looking for something in between, a 338/375 Ruger would be interesting but Wildcats will be a little more spendy to build.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.