338 win For long range gun?

My current load that my .338 likes is a 225 SST at 3000 from a 26" barrel. Retains right at 2000 fps and 2000 ft lbs at 700. I'd feel ok with those numbers. The 210 might shed speed a bit quicker though.

I used to shoot the 250 Gamekings for years until they went backorder a few years back, took 2 big Bull Elk at 450 & 570 yards no problem.

Here is a very good thread on the subject:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f26/338-wm-long-range-84908/

In particular, a fella who went by Long Time Long Ranger on this forum has some very useful input in post #6:

Like other guys said, it will kill it if you can hit it. My longest shot with the 338 winchester was a huge moose at 1104 yards and he only took a few steps. Like stated earlier the problem is the winchester having the velocity to push big heavy bullets fast enough so lighter high bc bullets do the best within the range it is most capable. For long range the best bullet I have found is the 225 grain cutting edge bullet with a .64 bc. I can drive that bullet easily to 2900 fps and a 225 grain .64 bc going 2900 will easily take out anything at 1000 yards. Run the numbers on it and you will see. Before I found that bullet I was using the 185 grain barnes ttsx at 3200 fps and kept it within 800 or so yards. The bc is higher than listed and does a very good job on game. Recoil is negligible with the lighter bullets and mine do not have a brake.

Keep in mind that this was written before the Berger 250 EH was introduced, which is a potential game changer for the sub-338 RUM size cases, IMO.

When he was active on this site, Long Time Long Ranger wrote extensively about the virtues and limitations of a .338 Win Mag in a carry weight rifle. I have found his writings on that subject to be worthwhile and educational.

The 338 WM is at its best with 225 Gr. bullets or heavier.
My Moose load 225 Nosler Part. and IMR 4350. I tried H4831 with 225 Gr. bullets and could not reach loading book posted speed.

Where will you be moose hunting? My father's go to moose rifle is a well worn M77 in 338 win. He's put down several moose with it, the longest shot being a hail Mary on one his hunting partner injured, it was about 450yards running straight away and he split the hump and dropped it. He only uses 250 grainers that he loads to the max charge weight listed and gets him inside an inch and a half. Not exactly a precision minded guy but he does what he needs to. Last moose we shot, (my only moose), we took at 210 yards. My 30-06 did the damage with a 200gr Accubond. In Maine, that's one of the longer shots you'll need to take on the big dumb animals. Assuming you are hunting the great white North?

Find and practice with what works for you and you'll drop them fine.

SHM

Last edited:
Here is a very good thread on the subject:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f26/338-wm-long-range-84908/

In particular, a fella who went by Long Time Long Ranger on this forum has some very useful input in post #6:

Keep in mind that this was written before the Berger 250 EH was introduced, which is a potential game changer for the sub-338 RUM size cases, IMO.

When he was active on this site, Long Time Long Ranger wrote extensively about the virtues and limitations of a .338 Win Mag in a carry weight rifle. I have found his writings on that subject to be worthwhile and educational.

+1! I too use to look forward to LTLR's posts.

I've been shooting LTLR's recommended 225 D62 in my 338 Win for a while now. I can get sub moa performance and a verified 2900+ with a few powders and plan on using it on moose this fall. This is out of a bone stock TC Venture rifle. I've shot it to 600 and it works great for me. I had hoped for half MOA groups, but about .75 MOA is what I'm seeing consistently. I have not tried the Bergers because I doubt I could get the performance allowed by the smaller bearing surface of the Cutting Edge D62. Based on the ballistics I'm seeing, my combo is capable of 1000yds and in. I'm the limfac in the equation.

When I shot the 338WM in alaska, I was using a standard 250gr Hornady Interlock PSP and IMR 7828ssc. I could jam enough in there to get me to about 2900fps and it was a hammer. I took several caribou and a very large fat brown bear sow with that load. I have no doubt that it would do fine to 4-500yds.

I have been shooting the 250 Bergers in my 338 Sherman at 2860' in a 24" barrel. JBM shows 4552 ft. lbs.M E and 1735 at 1000 yards with only 24.3 moa. Your WM should work just fine with this bullet..........Rich

When I shot the 338WM in alaska, I was using a standard 250gr Hornady Interlock PSP and IMR 7828ssc. I could jam enough in there to get me to about 2900fps and it was a hammer. I took several caribou and a very large fat brown bear sow with that load. I have no doubt that it would do fine to 4-500yds.
Looking back on my notes, I had a similar 338lapua load pushing about the same numbers with retumbo, was fairly accurate with the 250gr accubond pill and it worked well on a few caribou at 450 yards. I did notice a bit more wind correction was needed with that load over a higher velocity load, or a 300gr.

You can make it work, may need to pay closer attention to the wind at that distance...

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.